melmer

Nobody expects the Dragon Age Inquisition

If there's enough interest in a game, someone usually makes a thread in the Multiplayer Networking sub-forum under Video Gaming to keep the main games thread cleaned up.  No one has made one for DAI yet. 

I'll certainly at least give the multiplayer a shot if there are some Thumbs in. I have a few people on Origin friends, but my ID is Gwardinen anyway.

Apparently this will take save imports from DA2, which in turn takes save imports from DA1. I wonder if anything from DA1 carries all the way through to the new one?

Apparently this will take save imports from DA2, which in turn takes save imports from DA1. I wonder if anything from DA1 carries all the way through to the new one?

That fucking baby better have the same eyes as my Dragon Age: Origins character.

Is this taking anything from a DA 1 save? I tried to do their online fortress thingy and it was basically a way for me to choose all the choices from DA1 and 2. They had my characters in their, but it didn't save any progress online or anything... I guess I would need a save file?

Either way, I hacked DA1 to use the developer character creator, which broke a few things in the Fade, so it's probably for the best I don't use any save files from that if it's even a possibility.

There's no save importing per se. Some of the information from your Dragon Age games should have gone to Dragon Age Keep and then you can fill in/fix the rest of your choices. At that point you export the game world state, and load that in to your new Inquisition game.

Played this before work today (decided to skip the gym since I injured my back). So far I'm liking it, the writing seems...decent! Only had one eye-roll moment so far from a cheesy line. Apparently it's about 90 hours (ish) long if you delve into some side quests, so I foresee this taking up my game time until next year!

I've only played through the prologue, but the only things that have bothered me so far have been technical. A bunch of post-processing stuff has been wrapped up into a single Low-Medium-High-Ultra slider, and apparently the low end has some sort of set-up that results in hair looking like everyone uses petroleum jelly as a pomade. It also means I can't completely turn off things I don't like such as DoF and motion blur. I'm also running two monitors, and even full-screening the game doesn't capture the mouse cursor, so I have to constantly be worried about accidentally clicking my desktop and popping out of the game mid-battle. I'm going to see how using a controller works out, so it may not be an issue for continued play.

I am glad people are liking it so far! I am going home tomorrow, and will be away until after Xmas so I won't be playing it for a while. I am pretty tempted to download it tonight to see what it's like... but maybe I can show SOME willpower :P! I was going to leave Shadow of Mordor for a few months, then caved a week or so later.

PC Gamer have a ~2 hour video going through all of the choices to be made in Dragon Age Keep, the tool for importing the state of the world into Inquisition. Listening to the first part is what made me play DAO again. It could be useful for people who have saves on different platforms and would like some guidance of how to set up the world according to their canon (I played DA2 on 360)

I just want to say that everytime I read this thread title I have a smile on my face. Brilliant title. Thanks, Mington.

A bunch of post-processing stuff has been wrapped up into a single Low-Medium-High-Ultra slider, and apparently the low end has some sort of set-up that results in hair looking like everyone uses petroleum jelly as a pomade.

Isn't the pomade thing if you have Mesh Quality less than high? You should be able to get away with turning the post processing bar all the way down as long as you have mesh quality at high.

I ended up buying this last night. I'm looking forward to playing multiplayer, ME3 multiplayer is some of the best around, and I really wish I played it more, so I'm hoping to jump in on this and be there for the long hall.

I sorta wanna buy it just for the MP right now after all of Bjorn's preaching about ME3. Was it Bjorn? I think it was Bjorn. Whatever, whoever it was! Even though I haven't played DAO or DA2 (both of which I want to play) and thus can't play DAI proper, yet.

I sorta wanna buy it just for the MP right now after all of Bjorn's preaching about ME3. Was it Bjorn? I think it was Bjorn. Whatever, whoever it was! Even though I haven't played DAO or DA2 (both of which I want to play) and thus can't play DAI proper, yet.

I'm in the same boat, I won't have time to get into the campaign at all over the next couple of months but I should have time for multiplayer here and there.  Also I wouldn't bother playing through DAO and DA2 unless you have a lot of time to kill.  I played both on different platforms, so I ended up using the Keep/tapestry thing to generate my old save file and that seemed more than enough.  Even some of the small throwaway side quests are in there, so I don't think you'll really be missing anything.

Link: https://dragonagekeep.com

Yeah, that was me, I was completely hooked on ME3MP. 

My wife just got home with her copy of it, and is installing it on her PC now.  I'll try the MP on her account first to see what I think about it before committing to buying a copy for myself as well.  From the streams I've watched of MP now, I don't know what to think of it.  It's obviously not going to be the shooty and space magic fun that ME3 was.  But it there certainly looks like there is potential there.  It's probably going to take a few hours of playing before I know if I'll like it or not, since I'll need to get some characters leveled up.

I'll also admit to having some worries about getting into DAMP.  I was genuinely addicted to ME3MP, I played way more of it than I am comfortable admitting, and part of that was the gambling nature of the unlock store, where it took hundreds and hundreds of hours of grinding out credits to unlock most things.  I really don't want to fall into a habit of playing a game like that again, but then it was also really fun. 

The value that gambling has is an interesting subject. People typically think of it in the extremes. "I can win it back!" Is certainly disastorous, but buying a $1 lottery-ticket for someone's birthday can be a worthwhile expenditure. I guess the difference is whether or not the investment is expected to pay back in cash or in brief, heightened anticipation itself, or maybe just in providing slightly more motivation to keep playing and the value of that play/grind in between.

I enjoy opening packs of virtual cards as long as I'm reasonably assured of getting something interesting every once in a while. That's where ME3 hit the sweet spot and so many games missed it. In general, I could expect to get a gun I could use or a new character about 1/3 of the time, and it only took a few matches to buy a pack if you were doing good,

I'm in the same boat, I won't have time to get into the campaign at all over the next couple of months but I should have time for multiplayer here and there.  Also I wouldn't bother playing through DAO and DA2 unless you have a lot of time to kill.  I played both on different platforms, so I ended up using the Keep/tapestry thing to generate my old save file and that seemed more than enough.  Even some of the small throwaway side quests are in there, so I don't think you'll really be missing anything.

Link: https://dragonagekeep.com

Well I've never played them and while I might be willing to skip over DA2 (since a lot of people seem to dislike it), I definitely WANT to play DAO at some point. Might as well play it first.

But yeah if... if you guys get super into the MP anytime soon, be sure to let me know. I'm interested...

Just a heads-up, the DRM used in this might damage any SSD it's installed to. It's hard to tell how much of this is starforce-stlye fearmongering, but it might be better safe than sorry if you have a mechanical drive as well and don't mind load times.

Why does EA need additional DRM above and beyond Origin to make this stuff work? Now I'm kinda disappointed that I bought it.

Someone else in that comments string is calling bullshit:

screen.jpg

Hello,

Yes, this is definitely bullshit. Someone else checked through ProcessExplorer (quite famous utility to monitor programs) and the amount of data written was very low (about 20MB, probably due to save games). Pic is here:http://postimg.org/image/46v2ej7kx/

I also checked myself the executable before and after an 1h session and the file hash was the same. This means the file was not changed during the session, so most probably no data was written (if it did write back encrypted pages it would definitely change the executable).

Anybody can check for themselves too, ProcessExplorer is free and there is a lot of hash computation software.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. The file is digitally signed by Bioware, it CANNOT be modified without invalidating the certificate.

I definitely WANT to play DAO at some point. Might as well play it first.

When I felt the (delayed) hype train for Inquisition rumbling through, I thought it was about time I played DA:O, as well. Let me know how you get on with it. I'm about 10 hours in and having quite a good time so far. It's scratching a "generic fantasy" itch that I didn't know I had

Someone else in that comments string is calling bullshit:

screen.jpg

Well that's a relief then. It did sound rather far-fetched. I feel a bit foolish now.