melmer

Nobody expects the Dragon Age Inquisition

i wonder how GMG can afford giving all this stuff away at a discount.

Digital goods! I mean, they are still actually selling it. If Imaginary Game costs $30 for them to get a key and they sell it for $48 instead of $60, they only made $18 net but THEY made it (obvious enough). GMG has basically all of the benefits of digital distribution with none of the drawbacks. Not only are they service agnostic, but they're essentially just a license generator. Because you activate the licenses on other services, they're not responsible for any of the bandwidth, upkeep, or troubleshooting basically as long as they keep their site working and email you the proper code.

I like GMG. They're willing to go in pretty heavily on discounting and I've never been steered wrong.

I have suddenly gone from passively interested in Dragon Age to attempting to corral my excitement. The combo of a good, long SP and the potential of the awesome ME3 multiplayer has me ready to throw money.

Green Man Gaming is 100% legitimate, you shouldn't be concerned. They fork over keys as soon as they receive them, and I had plenty of time to pre-load Titanfall's mammoth 50GB footprint on my PC ahead of its release.

You should be able to apply GMG's 20% off voucher to Dragon Age:

NOVEMB-ERGMGX-20XOFF

For a while I figured they were a money laundering operation. Still wouldn't surprise me.

Digital goods! I mean, they are still actually selling it. If Imaginary Game costs $30 for them to get a key and they sell it for $48 instead of $60, they only made $18 net but THEY made it (obvious enough). GMG has basically all of the benefits of digital distribution with none of the drawbacks. Not only are they service agnostic, but they're essentially just a license generator. Because you activate the licenses on other services, they're not responsible for any of the bandwidth, upkeep, or troubleshooting basically as long as they keep their site working and email you the proper code.

I like GMG. They're willing to go in pretty heavily on discounting and I've never been steered wrong.

I have suddenly gone from passively interested in Dragon Age to attempting to corral my excitement. The combo of a good, long SP and the potential of the awesome ME3 multiplayer has me ready to throw money.

Right, but when you're selling a steam key, you're effectively cutting in another person who wants a share of the profits, plus lowering the price. Seems like a pretty crappy situation for EA and Valve so I wonder how they sustain that.

Right, but when you're selling a steam key, you're effectively cutting in another person who wants a share of the profits, plus lowering the price. Seems like a pretty crappy situation for EA and Valve so I wonder how they sustain that.

You can currently buy games from brick and mortar where it basically gives you instructions for how to log into steam or origin to redeem your code. I can't imagine the situation is WILDLY different from that in terms of money, although we're unused to the distribution method. Humble Store has steam keys, as well. The biggest difference is GMG is more public with offering price cuts to very new games (Amazon does this too) so it seems like someone is losing money when they're just choosing to attempt to get your sale at the cost of making less (but by no means no) profit. Think of it as a sale digital is trying to take from solid goods, rather than digital competing against digital.

Anyway! I am excited to see this game in action. I'm hoping to get a reasonable and informed look at the multiplayer from someone.

For a while I figured they were a money laundering operation. Still wouldn't surprise me.

I highly doubt that. They're one of the most vetted digital game resellers out there.

They don't work with every publisher. In fact, they don't sell Activision games. But they are partnered with both EA and Ubisoft, as well as WB and a number of other publishers both large and small. I'm sure everyone's getting their money.

It's refreshing to be made aware of a big game by people reacting positively to it, rather than being clobbered with marketing. 

I knew nothing about this game prior to this week aside from the fact that Bioware had another Dragon Age thing in the works, to be released sometime in the future. I'm so down for this.

It's like the opposite of Assassin's Creed Unity.

It's refreshing to be made aware of a big game by people reacting positively to it, rather than being clobbered with marketing. 

I knew nothing about this game prior to this week aside from the fact that Bioware had another Dragon Age thing in the works, to be released sometime in the future. I'm so down for this.

It's like the opposite of Assassin's Creed Unity.

This is marketing though. None of us have played it.

Yup. This will actually be my first Origin game. Hopefully it doesn't convince me it should be the last game I play on Origin.

Bah. I'm going to wait to be enticed with a sale then, I really don't feel like installing yet another content management app to the ol' systray.

Origin's lightweight enough for me not to hate it now. The only things that really bother me about it are not being able to throttle download speed and the fact that my Steam friends aren't on there.

This game looks pretty good but I don't think I'm prepared for another big AAA thing so soon after Shadow of Mordor (nor is my wallet).

As a hater of Origin, I will admit that it's... not really that bad. At least, now it isn't. It works, and that's more than I can say for, I dunno, Uplay. Heh.

Origin is fine. It's biggest issue is building a new friends list (and the 100 friends cap which is just dumb in all settings).

I'm not saying I like Origin or the things it represents, but it is a totally functional platform that isn't actively dislikable. Like, UPlay.

This looks like fun, as I loved Origins, and liked DA2, unlike a lot of people. However, what I mostly got from all of the stuff I read is that I really wanted to play Origins again! So I re-downloaded it, and started something a bit different for me: a female Dalish warrior with a greatsword that is literally as tall as she is :D. Normally I play mages or rogues in fantasy role-playing games, so a warrior is a big change, and one that I have been ruing a bit, seeing all those chests I can't get into!

Plus, I have a legitimate reason to be a colossal dick to any human I come across, which is another break from character

I'll definitely pick up Inquisition some time, but it probably won't be for a few months

I've been really tempted to play Origins as well but I'm trying to hold off otherwise I think I might end up disappointing myself while playing Inquisition.

Also that games is like 50 hours.

I snagged DAO when it was offered as part of EA's "On the House" promotion and finally got around to downloading it.

Maybe I'll put in some serious hours around Thanksgiving.

DA:O is bioware as hell. It's really a great game.

I am almost certainly going to get Inquisition at some point, but I am STILL incredibly anxious to see what the multiplayer is like.

DA:O is amazing and should be played by all. Still never played 2, despite owning it. I'm thinking I should give it a go before thinking about DA:I. Opinions on 2 are so mixed I feel like I should at least figure out where I stand on it just to know.

I am once again attempting to play DA:O, having given up on it no less than *three* times in the past. Wish my party moved with me when I press W to move around...

DA:O is amazing and should be played by all. Still never played 2, despite owning it. I'm thinking I should give it a go before thinking about DA:I. Opinions on 2 are so mixed I feel like I should at least figure out where I stand on it just to know.

2 is...fine.  There's some good stuff in there.  DA:O is clearly superior though.  While there's certainly plenty of legitimate criticism in there, part of the backlash is that it did not live up to the first really.

I wish I liked DA:O because then I'd have another BioWare game to play now. Maybe I should give it another shot, I didn't like Mass Effect the first time either.

No one seems to be reviewing the xbox 360 version. I can't convince my wife that we should wait a few days to see if that version is broken. Not sure if it matters though. She won't play games on pc (even if it's hooked up to the television) and I don't see us dropping $400 on a new console so we won't be playing the broken version of a game. And we crave the new Dragon Age. It's such a weird feeling when you feel like you are about to make a bad decision, but circumstances encourage you to do it anyway.