Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Clusterfuck!

I have all my games and demos installed into C:\Games, also there are backups of savegames from games I have uninstalled.

I noticed that somehow I had installed the Rise of Nations demo just into C:\Games, not a subfolder. Then I decided it would be easier to uninstall it than to try to sort this out manually. I also ticked the "delete saved games and profiles" box.

Well guess what, the uninstaller COMPLETELY DELETED EVERYTHING IN C:\GAMES, except sound files from Desperados and the data folder of STALKER alpha.

Most bad and awful was the loss of Doom III save games because I'm sure as hell not going to replay that (I was in Delta Complex, just after getting back from hell).

The other save games were not really that big a loss as I probably would have started any game I'd replay from the beginning.

[edit]hehe... the smilies are appropriate. I actually meant C: \Games of course.

Damn. It's even worse. I was making a Deus Ex mod and all my developement stuff was deleted as well. I had the compiled packages backed up and I can probably extract most things from there, but some of my work was still lost.

The developement had halted anyway though, several months ago.

But some really weird shit is happening when I run the uninstallers of the games that got deleted. Some say that the uninstaller can't be found, some finish normally, but some uninstallers actually RECREATE some of the files. WTF? When the True Crime uninstaller finished, it had recreated the save files and truecrime.ini.

What 'Erkks' me (heh heh) is why would you screw around with the folders in the first place. What's wrong with using the default directories when installing a game, and then moving the save games to a specially created folder when you uninstall a game? It's a bit more work but it does prevent such catastrophe as you have described. And many recent games ask you to save the save games when you uninstall.

If this were the AG forums I'd give you a good panning.

If this were the AG forums I'd give you a good panning.
You're afraid to leech the little animated gif?

Also it is Mongolian clusterfuck; without the Mongolian qualifier the whole clusterfuck is not as savory.

You're afraid to leech the little animated gif?

Your presence here, Kingzelbub, is more than enough punishment for him.

Also it is Mongolian clusterfuck; without the Mongolian qualifier the whole clusterfuck is not as savory.

I prefer Mongolian beef. Easier to stomach, and it's good with Tsing Tsao beer.

What 'Erkks' me (heh heh) is why would you screw around with the folders in the first place. What's wrong with using the default directories when installing a game, and then moving the save games to a specially created folder when you uninstall a game?

I'm just used to having all my games in C:Games. It's always been so since I had my first computer. :P Although yeah, in Windows that is not as important, but I'd rather not bother with explaining the small reasons why I still do it.

And many recent games ask you to save the save games when you uninstall.

Many mushrooms are not poisonous :P

You think it would be better if I lost the entire Program Files folder instead? :)

One of the reasons actually is to keep the Program Files folder uncluttered, as sometimes I have to access it and it's full of crap even without games. Often uninstalled things still leave their empty folders behind etc.

Anyway, I'm done lamenting, it wasn't that bad really (except for the DeusEx stuff). I was just initially pretty shocked.

I stick everything in C:\Games too :) It's a habit from the bad old days when games and applications would create a new folder in C:\ and spew their vile innards all over it, so having a Games folder takes care of clutter. Some dumb games still insist on installing to the root directory (hello UT2004!), so those continue to end up in C:\Games - everything else usually ends up in the default C:\Program Files.

There, wasn't that thrilling?

I hate, hate, hate, badly thought-out installers though, so I feel your pain. I heartily approve of the trend for games sticking their save files in My Documents, because at least then you have a central location to back up - no rooting through your filesystem looking for remote outposts of gaming civilisation to burn to a CD, just in case you really want to see that one cutscene in X - Beyond the Frontier again.

I keep my games on D:\Games\, putting them all in C:\Program Files\ would definitely get way too messy. I only reformatted/put XP on this in August, and already that folder's full of crap I don't remember asking Windows to put there.

Also I like to backup important stuff like 'My Documents' and those crucial Grim savegames regularly. I just hate losing the masses of stuff I've amassed and organised over the years.

I actually have an entire partition just for my games: E:/ :)

C:/ is just for the occasional non-game program I install.

(btw, in case you're wondering: I got 9 partitions dividing nearly 400GB of space)

I have 4 partitions in Windows, each about 30GB.

I had my old hard disk connected while installing XP and the new Windows partition ended up on G: :)

I also use C: practically only for games (but a few other things too).

Oh, and then I have the rest of the space for Mandrake Linux, but I actually don't use it. I've been meaning to, but everything is so much easier in Windows.

On my rig, C: is a mere 5 GIG on which I only installed Windows 2000 and a virusscanner. That way I keep my system as fast as possible, because the dirty, messy files left by games and applications are on partitions on which Windows doesn't rely.

--Erwin

I bought a piece of apple pie at the baker's today. It was yummie once I'd taken out the rasins. Rasins are bad.