I guess we'll see if I can make it through Divine Divinity or if I'll just give up and get this instead. That GB quicklook was absolutely amazing.

I got Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity packed in with my CE of Divinity: Original Sin (which I mostly got for the second copy to share with a friend). LET ME KNOW IF THEY'RE WORTH PLAYING!

Divine Divinity has been hard and old, but fun so far. I don't know if I'll be able to make it all the way through, but I'm happy so far. It plays like an even slower Diablo 1.

The first two Divinity games are sort of a weird mix between Diablo and Ultima; ARPG controls, but with plot and weird world interactions. Pretty cool at the time.

There's a pretty good LP of both over on lparchives.

I bought this last week, and have put about 15 hours into it so far, in 3 sets of characters. I find the colourful world quite refereshing, and the combat is very unforgiving... I look forward to figuring out how to survive being outnumbered 10 to 4!

This trick is almost game breaking in how easy it makes things so read at your own peril:

Leech is the single best trait for any melee cheater to get holy shit. Also my phone auto corrected to cheater instead of character but it feels approps so I'm leaving it.

I've been wanting to play something like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale* for some time now, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to look past the outdated graphics and gameplay mechanics. Divinity: Original Sin seems like a perfect alternative for me. I have only played a couple of hours (just encountered the time-and-space imp) but I am really liking it so far. However, I do feel like this game could be quite overwhelming with all the skill trees and mechanics and whatnots. I hope I haven't completely fucked up already by choosing the wrong characters, abilities, attributes, and talents during character creation.

Also, basically every review points out that the combat is brutally hard and there is no grinding as the enemies do not respawn. Does that mean that if your party is not well "optimized" you will be fucked for the entirety of the game or is there enough side missions to level past main mission enemies?

* I bought Baldur's Gate 2 when it first came out but I didn't play it much for some reason. It was probably too hard or complicated for me or something.

I'm not going to spoilerize this because is useful to know, if only to relieve some stress: you can eventually respec after unlocking the appropriate room in your homestead, nappi. Only your main chars though, not your sidekicks. You can also hire new buddies tipi amend that mistake though, should you choose to do so.

Good to know, thanks!

I feel like with these types of games, I should always read some character creation and tactics guides before I even begin. I don't want that though, I just want to play.

We're about to enter a golden age of this stuff (I hope). The Wasteland 2 beta scratches this exact itch, and the writing seems a shade better up front. Then Pillars of Eternity & Tides of Numenera! 

Or if you want you could go back and play Divine Divinity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxnO5GfWrU

Yeah I know I already posted this in the random video game thoughts thread, but that's because at the time I'd forgotten then thread existed and besides it still makes me laugh and/or cry.

We're about to enter a golden age of this stuff (I hope). The Wasteland 2 beta scratches this exact itch, and the writing seems a shade better up front. Then Pillars of Eternity & Tides of Numenera! 

I am not confident any of those will be good (though I do now have wasteland 2 beta access, but havent' tried it yet). Hopeful, but not confident. I think it is likely Pillars of Eternity will be good, at least. Inxile hasn't proven they can deliver on this yet though, and esp with Tides of fasdfajsdhfa they are making super lofty claims (spiritual successor to Planescape Torment, which is my favorite game). Hopefully wasteland 2 is good though, ill find out soon. If crpgs make a proper comback I will be so happy.

Also, for anyone here who likes this game (Divinity) and hasn't played the late 90s/early 2000s crpgs, play Baldur's Gate 2, at least. BG2 with mods, or probably the enhanced edition (haven't tried it yet) is perfectly playable.

I've been having a lot of fun with this game, though I agree that there are some definite UI and inventory issues. I like the ambition though, especially the fact they've built modding support into the game.

I have put about 18 hours into it and am loving it so far, has anyone tried the co-op?

I definitely agree with most of the critiques, also I am not really digging the dual dialogue system it feels a bit...pointless in single player? 

I like that it adds a bit of extra flavour and roleplaying to the game, especially now that you can customise the personalities a bit more.

I feel kind of stupid saying this, but I generally role play my player characters as myself. What I would do or say in these situations, so I kind of just end up playing my two PCs like the same person, so I might be missing the role playing aspect of it! 

I can totally understand that. I sometimes play with an image in my head of what my character's like. Usually they're like me but sometimes different if I've got a specific concept in mind. I like the idea of having one character like me and another totally different.

I can totally understand that. I sometimes play with an image in my head of what my character's like. Usually they're like me but sometimes different if I've got a specific concept in mind. I like the idea of having one character like me and another totally different.

Have you dipped your toe into co-op yet?

Nice video review by the way!

Thanks! No, haven't tried co-op but I might do. Think I'll do a single player playthrough and then try co-op.

Thanks! No, haven't tried co-op but I might do. Think I'll do a single player playthrough and then try co-op.

Cool! Might give it a go with a friend if we can make the schedules work out.

How far into the game are you? I was talking with another thumbs listener how crazy content rich this game was. I was absolutely not expecting the cat's collar side quest to be multiple hours long with it's own set locations, totally crazy! I hope this game does well for this team, they deserve it! 

I just finished the cat's quest. Still working on the murder mystery as my lockpicking is currently too low. Gonna head to the church next.

I just finished the cat's quest. Still working on the murder mystery as my lockpicking is currently too low. Gonna head to the church next.

Which part needed lock picking?

I am actually heading to the church next, looks pretty tough! 

Finding Evelyn's smelly clothes in her house to show to the dog.

Or maybe I missed another option.

Finding Evelyn's smelly clothes in her house to show to the dog.

Or maybe I missed another option.

I actually solved it a different way!