Chris

Idle Thumbs 166: Cyberpunk Cop-Killer

No-Dota-Dad's motorcycle escape timing was great, and speaking of dads, did Sean turn into Chris's dad when he at 9:55 describes Zelda: "It's a maze basically." (referencing this

).

Thanks for the animation shout-out (somekind of pronunciation guide for Atte: A is like in arm, E is like in end, short vowels) and speaking of speaking ofs and pronunciations, where's the Kickstarter for Neuromancer, read by Danielle in her OG accent!?

When I was a young child, my mother unwittingly bought me a documentary about sharks for my birthday - thinking it was the film Jaws. Even to this day, I've never seen Jaws and I can't watch documentaries about sharks. Thanks for the pod and the memories.

When I was a young child, my mother unwittingly bought me a documentary about sharks for my birthday - thinking it was the film Jaws. Even to this day, I've never seen Jaws and I can't watch documentaries about sharks. Thanks for the pod and the memories.

Wait, not the other way around? I mean, Jaws is technically a PG film since they edited it down from R and PG-13 didn't exist in those days, but you would think that a hypothetical mom would want to get her kid a nature documentary instead of a horror movie.

Maybe she actually knew what she was doing all along and just told you that to fool you.

Wait, not the other way around? I mean, Jaws is technically a PG film since they edited it down from R and PG-13 didn't exist in those days, but you would think that a hypothetical mom would want to get her kid a nature documentary instead of a horror movie.

Maybe she actually knew what she was doing all along and just told you that to fool you.

While that would be hysterical, I'm pretty sure she's only tangentially familiar with the movie as the cultural phenomenon it is. (I'll have to ask her)

I like to imagine she saw it on the store shelf and nonchalantly threw it into the shopping cart thinking she was gonna be the coolest mom.

Actually, come to think of it, she gave me a VHS cassette of Benny Hill that same birthday. Thanks mom.

I'd like to point out that Itch.io is now more than just a place to host game jams. You can actually sell your game through the site. In a certain sense it is attempting to be a democratic alternative to Steam.

Wow, I didn't know that at all. That's interesting. Are them some good, overlooked games that can be purchased there, that you'd recommend?

Just posting to say I'm really grateful to be able to share in the experience of Sean's ultimate dream episode.

Agh! I'm in full agreement; this was the greatest. I loved the accent, the Jaws talk, and everything. 

Oh maaaaaaan what a good episode. Just gonna focus on one thing for now.

So the NES cart discussion. That was something I definitely knew about. I wasn't particularly surprised when I learned about it because I grew up with those games as they were all coming out, and saw the general transition of quality. One of my favorite examples on the audio end of things is Castlevania 3; the Famicon soundchip was of better quality than the NA cart's soundchip. Results below.

North America:

Japanese:

Danielle (19:25): ".....I had seen, you know, basically the whole thing, but in pastiche you know, I saw half of it once when I was seven....."

Not to be a dick (ok, I'm being a dick), but pastiche does not mean "piecemeal".  

Great episode though!

Wow, I didn't know that at all. That's interesting. Are them some good, overlooked games that can be purchased there, that you'd recommend?

Unfortunately not. Discovery is kind of a pain and I haven't played any paid games on there I'd really recommend yet.

Danielle (19:25): ".....I had seen, you know, basically the whole thing, but in pastiche you know, I saw half of it once when I was seven....."

Not to be a dick (ok, I'm being a dick), but pastiche does not mean "piecemeal".  

Great episode though!

Not to be a dick but I'm pretty sure she meant she had seen basically the whole film in pastiche because all the famous indelible scenes have been recreated in various works of pop culture ad infinitum such that one has "seen" Jaws even without having seen Jaws.

I'm pretty sure that at that point she was talking about Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

:fart:

Oh good now I'm starting a new page with a Meaningful Contribution. One (1(I)) round of self-congratulatory slow-clap applause duly delivered.

Uh, also not to be a dick (ok, I'm being a dick) but, Sean, I love you man, but I don't think you should get to say "It's" if you keep thinking It's 2013.

Uh, also not to be a dick (ok, I'm being a dick) but, Sean, I love you man, but I don't think you should get to say "It's" if you keep thinking It's 2013.

Hah! I didn't even hear it until you mentioned it. Poor Sean.. His time in the spotlight, and he blows it! 

I didn't notice it before either. But then so didn't the thumbs apparently. :blink:

I actually watched Jaws for the first time last night because this episode reminded me that it was on my list of movies to see. Partway through I went to a pizza place to get food and Jaws was playing on the TV they had on the wall. Crazy.

I actually did the same thing Chris did back when I was fifteen or so: I rented an armload of classic movies (that I knew of but hadn't seen) from a video store every week, to build my understanding of popular culture if nothing else (I have no idea how I understood The Simpsons before seeing Citizen Kane). I've been doing the same thing again lately, but with illegal piracy and horror movies, which I was the one genre I was too apprehensive of to try at the time. Turns out I love them. Whodathunk?

The one really big hole in my film vocabulary is The Godfather. I know I need to see those movies eventually, but I just never really feel like it.

I have always loved that scene as well. I've had this song and Spanish Ladies stuck in my head since watching this movie again last week. Not to rub salt in the wound, but there was something pretty wonderful about seeing a movie like this in the theater. The whole audience was so into the movie and it made all the jokes seem funnier and that scene with Ben Gardner's boat scarier than I remember it being. I actually kind of wish that this was my first time seeing the film, that's how fun the whole experience was.

Also, some people might get a kick out of this: http://www.npr.org/2014/07/08/329731479/richard-dreyfus-children-jaws-makes-no-sense

Ha!  That NPR story is awesome.  And yeah, going to a great theater to watch it with an engaged audience sounds fabulous in every way. 

he one really big hole in my film vocabulary is The Godfather. I know I need to see those movies eventually, but I just never really feel like it.

I'd like to piggyback onto this and ask whether Godfather 3 is worth seeing just for the sake of it.  I watched the first two since I eventually hit critical mass on people mentioning it or being surprised I hadn't seen it but skipped the third since it seems basically reviled.

The third is merely a good movie, I guess it's so reviled because people don't consider it worthy of The Godfather name.

The Godfather is the gaping void at the center of my cinema blindspot. 

I can only assume if you combined Danielle talking in her natural accent with Jake pretending to be a Pig, Sean & Chris would explode with glee