Chris

Idle Thumbs 166: Cyberpunk Cop-Killer

Idle Thumbs 166:

563__header.jpg

Cyberpunk Cop-Killer

Look, I'm not sayin' Tawmmy shouldn'ta been sent up for doing what he done to all them cahps, but they got stunnas, what else is he gonna do? Also I heard from Stacy—ya know Stacy. Whose fathah died? Ya know, that old guy that choked on that grinda up in P'tuckit. Ya know. Her sistah went to RISD and thinks she's some sahta rawalty. Anyway, Stacy sayin her brothah did thah same but he just got regulah time in the cybah-mines. That's some gahbage.

Things Discussed: Jaws, Dota 2, Coming Out Simulator 2014, The Last Night, Wings of St. Nazaire, accents

MIKE: "I don't find funny accents funny, therefore I will not laugh at this The Last Night section."

DANIELLE: "Cyberpunk."

*Mike totally loses it.*

DANIELLE: "Blade Runner."

*Mike basically falls out of the train he's exiting.*

Nice!

XH22kh5.jpg

A link in that article brought me to http://www.cafepress.com/idlethumbs

god_of_e3.jpg?color=Natural&height=350&w

Was there a whole other realm of Idle Thumbs inside jokes before the podcast started? This does not seem like a shirt you guys would sell in earnest.

EDIT:

killer_bear.jpg?color=White

This is only the best of maybe 6 Manhunt related items.

Idle Thumbs' promo reads continue to be some of the funniest things on the planet. (note - I should really look at hyuvver.carm).

Coming out simulator's here: http://ncase.itch.io/coming-out-simulator-2014

Nicky was also the sponsor of the Public Domain Jam I organised in May, and is a huge advocate of open-source - as such, anyone interested can go here https://github.com/ncase/coming-out-simulator-2014 and download the source code and play around with it!

Chris' experience with Close Encounters happened pretty much in reverse for me with Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I wasn't allowed to watch the movie growing up, because the bonkers blood spray from one scene (I don't remember which) was deemed too graphic by my mother.

Other children however, particularly the ones I remember having the worst senses of humor, repetitively parroted so many goddamn punch lines from that movie growing up that, when I finally got around to watching it, all I could hear was a bunch of shitty middle schoolers. I don't think I made it past the first 30 mins. To this day, I am incapable of seeing that movie as anything other than hackneyed garbage, even though I know it's not (or might not be, anyway) the creators' fault.

Sean mentioned how sometimes, no matter how many movies you watch, there are just some movies (like Casablanca for him, holy shit) that you haven't seen - well, if you'd like to fix that to a certain extent, drop by the Idle Thumbs Criterion Film Club and join us as we watch all those movies you ought to have seen already.

Chris talked about how Wings of St. Nazaire is actually like those space sims from back in the day but I have to correct him - Wings of St. Nazaire is indeed like Wing Commander, which used sprites rendered at various angles to represent all the ships, but it's very different from X-Wing and TIE Fighter, which, even back then, were full 3d games using polygonal ships rather than sprites. This, incidentally, is why I was a much bigger fan of the Star Wars games than the Chris Roberts games - everything was much smoother, there was a far better sense of scale and of movement, and the capital ships particularly worked far better. Of course, Wing Commander could be far more detailed with its prerendered bitmaps than X-Wing could (X-Wing had to rely on just plain Gouraud shading, which meant the ships were the right shape but entirely untextured) so Wing Commander's screenshots were much prettier, but X-Wing played much better with its full 3d fidelity.

Which, incidentally, is why I'm not a massive Wings of St. Nazaire fan. I mean, yes, it's gorgeous, and it does work better than Wing Commander worked (in large part because I think it's using 3d models for its capital ships, or at least it was when I tried it like a year ago) but honestly we're at the point in video games where you can make something like Enemy Starfighter in Unity and use actual 3d models and get all the benefits that come from that, and we've been there since, you know, X-Wing came out in 1993.

When someone was describing the Chris shirt and mentioned his face falling off the bottom like a "Goku shirt," the "ugh" reaction there on the part of all the Thumbs was amazing. That was maybe my favorite of the many hilarious parts of this cast.

So I'm a weirdo that likes to download the MP3 files.

I noticed with the last two episode that when I try downloading the download quickly slows to a crawl (like sub-dialup speed) and yet my bandwidth is 100% consumed (to the point of stopping other net-driven processes). Last week I just had to wait an hour or so after the file was available for download but today it still isn't budging.

Danielle's accent was enjoyable and refreshing, just like the center of a Junior Mint.

Re: Dota talk, I'm wondering how 1v1 is in terms of quality of players. I feel like when Dota 2 went public the quality of the community, that I thought was pretty decent for the most part, has gone down pretty sharply. Being locked in with one jerk is somehow more daunting to me than being around 9 potential jerks. Do you have to mute the opponent a lot, or is it just 2 people focused on the game?

So I'm a weirdo that likes to download the MP3 files.

I noticed with the last two episode that when I try downloading the download quickly slows to a crawl (like sub-dialup speed) and yet my bandwidth is 100% consumed (to the point of stopping other net-driven processes). Last week I just had to wait an hour or so after the file was available for download but today it still isn't budging.

I can't download it in Firefox, Chrome, or Opera - only Internet Explorer works for me. Same deal with last week (and maybe the week before?). Speed is fine though.

Danielle's accent was enjoyable and refreshing, just like the center of a Junior Mint.

True, as a listener from the UK I find a genuine US regional accent sounds a lot more sincere. 

Listening to this on the (London) tube this morning, and Danielle's accent had me grinning like a fool - other passengers must have thought me mad.

"I know 2 things about Dumbledore and 1 thing about Snape."

BEST

"I know 2 things about Dumbledore and 1 thing about Snape."

BEST

I lost my shit at this, too.

I've read all of the books, and I don't even remember if I knew that Dumbledore was gay.

As someone who hasn't paid harry potter any attention, but has been on the internet, I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as Chris.

I've read all of the books, and I don't even remember if I knew that Dumbledore was gay.

It was never stated in the book, and AFAIK never really implied. Rowling came out later and revealed this fact.

The accent section was really interesting to me. I know it was meant entirely as a joke, but it got me thinking about how I present myself professionally and how central to that suppressing my northern Midwestern accent has been. If I'm teaching or discussing something academically, and I lapse into my 'normal' accent, I'd probably get laughed at because it is a marker of being from a lower class background. This is probably the wrong place to be writing about this, but there you go.

It was never stated in the book, and AFAIK never really implied. Rowling came out later and revealed this fact.

I really like that Dumbledore is gay, but I hate that it's not mentioned in any of the books. I hate the idea that LGBT characters should be on the down-low so that straight audiences don't have to be offended by their gayness. I brought this up briefly when I wrote about Lumberjanes because that comic does the Dumbledore thing so much more elegantly: there's a pair of characters who are clearly in a lesbian relationship, and though nobody ever says anything about it out loud, there's also no way to mistake them for straight given the way that they interact with one another.

Before anyone inevitably uses the old "there was never a good time to say he was gay in these 3400 pages of books/20 hours of films" excuse, remember how Dumbledore was outed. The script for the sixth film called for him

and Rowling corrected it. Rather than fix the scene by changing Dumbledore's implied love interest to a guy, they removed it entirely.

In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter]

Also, I was pleased with myself for immediately knowing that the NES music discussion was heading toward the Castlevania III sound chip. There's a really fascinating tribute album that recreates the Mega Man 3 soundtrack using the Castlevania III sound chip that Chris would probably find interesting in theory.