Sean

Dota Today 13: On the Road to TI4

ty, while listening i figured someone was just adding "r" to the end of the word...much like people have been saying "nager siren" etc.  

That's just a thing people from the UK do. They also say "just about" when a thing actually happens, not when it narrowly fails to.

Always love listening to Dota today, I think it almost doesn't matter that i don't play dota atm, its seems like its a game which produces a lot of great anecdote.

Because of this despite less than 20hrs in game I've been watching a lot of Dota the last couple of day and thanks to valves pretty unsubtle marketing I've been wondering is it worth picking up a compendium

At the moment I mainly watch games, so i'm not sure it would be much use to me, but i'm sure that at some point i'm going to roll up my sleves and actually put some time into learning the game. So i'm wondering if you guys & girls know if I would i level it up enough just through watching for it to be of benefit to me at a later date?

You can watch ti4 w/o the compendium.  If you dont feel some need to donate 7.50 to valve & 2.50 to VG then probably dont need compendium at this point. 

if you are going to put in the effort to get some levels on it (or $ for more points) you could get some neat items; squawkins, immortals, pudge-ling, some loading screens.

The main event predictions close in ~a week, that could be an opportunity for free compendium points

The only thing you'd get out of a compendium you actually need to play the game is progress towards unlocking all the game modes. Other than that it's all cosmetic and throwing money at Valve.

The only thing you'd get out of a compendium you actually need to play the game is progress towards unlocking all the game modes. Other than that it's all cosmetic and throwing money at Valve.

ah ok it wasn't entirely clear to me from the jazzy splash screen, those new game modes were what I was mostly thinking about regarding future play time. 

Tbh the environmental effects thing is tempting too, I'm a sucker for well implemented rain/snow/whatever.

You get all the couriers and weather effects as soon as you buy it, as well as one immortal item. To unlock more alternate styles for your parrot or pudgling or to get loading screens you need to level it up. The loading screens are 3 cents each on the marketplace last I checked. You can buy everything on the marketplace, ie. the immortals.

Except the weather I think.

Nothing of it affects gameplay so you really aren't losing out much even if you do start playing at some point. Weather is honestly the biggest one and they'll maybe add it to shareable items like the UI and announcers are atm. You can select any UI/announcer that any other player in the game has equipped.

The couriers are meh, there's so many right now plus I actually like my red panda more than the parrot or pudgling.

Some immortal items are cool, they're 20-40 cents each on the market right now, you could buy some if you really wanted to, making sure to not buy any that were emptied by people before being sold. It's probably way cheaper to buy all of them directly instead of opening chests or levelling a compendium. I guess the two rares ones are exceptions.

All they add is alternate animations for things like storm's ball lightning trail being red instead of blue.

The weather is too distracting to actually use for me right now.

i thought the special game modes - 1v1 & Death Match were available to everyone

*Squawkins opens up at lvl4 compendium

the immortal items can be bought outright (inscribed, dont fall for the stripped-of-gems white ones) for ~$7.50

i thought the special game modes - 1v1 & Death Match were available to everyone

*Squawkins opens up at lvl4 compendium

the immortal items can be bought outright (inscribed, dont fall for the stripped-of-gems white ones) for ~$7.50

Oh, I meant like if you have never played Dota before, the compendium would help you level up your Dota Level. You don't unlock all the game modes until level 10-15 something like that.

Maybe I'm mistaken? Does only the Compendium level up?

Oh, I meant like if you have never played Dota before, the compendium would help you level up your Dota Level. You don't unlock all the game modes until level 10-15 something like that.

Maybe I'm mistaken? Does only the Compendium level up?

You get a battle point bonus for having the compendium. The compendium doesn't level up from playing unless you get player cards or compendium points at the end of the game. 

game 3 was bananas (he did amazing too)

i minimized after the picks and next time checked in on the stream they were on the high ground making camp.  titan couldnt push them out and then it was gg, pretty amazing.

even better was DK's 2nd game yesterday.  11min group-up push to GG, that undying was wonderful

Aha, this is where the Dota talk is happening. I have two imortal items now that I think I want to sell. Looks like they're sitting at around 50 cents at the moment. Are those going to go up or down do you think?

Edit: Oh hey, the Lt. Squawkins Sailboat is purchasable for like 20 cents. Thank goodness I didn't spend like $10 to level up my compendium to get him.

dewar: great idea, i never thought to look for squawkins upgrade kits.  i was going to kick in the remaining to boost my compendium level after the points settled...

and as for immortals - they may go back up in a while, the ti3 immortals are generally up from last year - the pirate sword is double (10->20) and venge curve-thing is almost triple (5->15)

but this year i think there is a much deeper saturation of the items.  anyone who would pay more money for them would have to have joined dotes after this promo closes down

I'm laughing way too much at this stuff, it's funny and lighthearted and that made me think of the potatoday duo  (not nick)

The other ones aren't all great, but those two I love.