Jake

Idle Thumbs 165: KeLo. Is. Here.

He should have randomly barged in and said "I know you guys are having fun but I'm still working"

Woah! That's a deep pull

I'll use this moment to plug my stupid image again. 

32lbsTb.jpg

8 doesn't ship with a wheel, at least not the most common version of the game. It's just a disc in a box.

The wheel is just a hollow bit of plastic you clip the wiimote in isn't it?

You can use the touch screen game pad thing as a steering wheel if you want. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I was battling it out for first place online with a metal mario using motion controls so it must be pretty responsive

I picked up the ridiculously titled new super mario bros U as my free game in the mario kart promotion... And the game is kicking my ass. I had similar problems with the GBA and DS Marios, both of which I quit as soon as I hit the underwater levels. Stupid blow fish. I've only played the wii U game a bit but my problem this time round is that Im running out of time a lot, I need to stop trying to 100% every level.

Serious kudos here

5XLUt2f.gif

That is some pretty impressive Mario play right there. Also it upsets me how much less ugly that game looks when you shrink it down like that. Wish it looked that good at its proper size. Oh well.

I picked up the ridiculously titled new super mario bros U as my free game in the mario kart promotion... And the game is kicking my ass. I had similar problems with the GBA and DS Marios, both of which I quit as soon as I hit the underwater levels. Stupid blow fish. I've only played the wii U game a bit but my problem this time round is that Im running out of time a lot, I need to stop trying to 100% every level.

Serious kudos here

5XLUt2f.gif

Isn't that tool assisted?

I was under the impression it was a Super Play video recorded by Nintendo.

It's still neat and probably took a while to make but I don't think they had a QA tester do this for however long it took to get a try right.

My immediate thought when they started talking about the noises you'd hear in a Sonic sex scene was that you'd hear this music after he's been performing cunnilingus for 20 seconds:

but ending with this instead as he comes up for air:

I was under the impression it was a Super Play video recorded by Nintendo.

Yep,

. There are some good NSMBU players.

Here's the video on Nintendo's channel:

The indie games talk this episode was interesting.

On the Wii U angle, Nintendo has actually been shockingly open to indie developers since launching the Wii U. They even allowed self-publishing before Sony made a big deal out of it, along with offering free Unity licenses to Wii U developers. Actually, half the kickstarters I've seen for indie games have mentioned Wii U versions among their stretch goals. It's just that Nintendo's typical PR lately hasn't gotten that message out to too many consumers (many developers even still don't know about Nintendo's new policies). Games like Guacamelee and 1001 Spikes are already on Wii U (and I think 1001 Spikes is on 3DS). It's not getting everything the PS4 is getting, but I'm always surprised when I look in the general direction of the eShop.

As for a 2D Dark Souls, the closest you can get right now is the playable ZX Spectrum demake somebody made a while back in the form of a Spectrum ROM. http://retrobytesproductions.blogspot.com.es/2013/06/codigo-graficos-y-sonido-alxinho.html (I think you can only play it in Spanish though) This upcoming indie game called Ghost Song is also flaunting Dark Souls inspirations (by way of Super Metroid), and judging by a

it's at least nailed that game's NPC interaction.

I'd be interested in hearing / reading more discussion on the anticipated future impact of Minecraft on game development and design practise.

Procedural generation, alpha funding, and voxel or at least 3D cuboid style visual representations are already massive now.

Exmaple: Thinking about that, albeit from a play rather rather design perspective, I realised that I had assumed Firewatch would use procedural generation in one form or another. Because that's how games are made now, so of course it would. Has anyone else experienced a similar thing with post-Minecraft game announcements?

Edit: 'voxel' isn't quite massive enough to make it into mainstream spelling correction software, it would seem...

This makes it sound like No Man's Sky is the ultimate post-Minecraft game (excluding the alpha funding part).

Big surprise: the guy that put hundreds of hours into Spelunky, and is on record discussing whipping dogs is tired of dog violence in video games.

It's obvious that the sound Sonic makes at climax is the one of him getting hit and exploding rings everywhere. I'd look for it but I'm at work and terrified of searching for anything Sonic related. Also what has my life become.

Serious kudos here

5XLUt2f.gif

What's the enormous amount of air control?

It's the spin-jump from Galaxy. They also added it to NSMB.

It's obvious that the sound Sonic makes at climax is the one of him getting hit and exploding rings everywhere. I'd look for it but I'm at work and terrified of searching for anything Sonic related. Also what has my life become.

Does that make rings his sperm? O_o

Also RE 2D Dark Souls, I picked up Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and that game is fucking hard and it's kicking my butt. But I love it. It reminds me a lot of Shovel Knight in many ways.

A partial list of things I liked in this cast: Nick's WiiU story, Chris saying that one way to acquire games you didn't know you owned was "a Steam sale happened and you went into a fugue state," Danielle saying "A thing can go viral among four people. Like, a virus."

I made another silly Idle Thumbs video from the Sonic discussion because I felt like I had to. But oh my god, if I knew what I'd have to see in order to make this I don't know if I would've done it.

Warning: CANNOT UNSEE. 

That was incredible. I love bobbing laughter heads. 

(Also, and I know that this is an obnoxious question always posed to people who make things like this, but what software did you use to make this?)