Jake

Idle Thumbs 165: KeLo. Is. Here.

Idle Thumbs 165:

559__header.jpg

KeLo. Is. Here.

The question posed: Was Nick really in love with his Wii U, or was it all a bizarrely detailed dream? To find the answer, we ventured deep into Nick's mind, probing the darkest wells of his psyche, the inkiest depths of his soul. The journey cost lives, ended friendships, conjured up some very unfortunate images of Sonic the Hedgehog, and ultimately revealed nothing.

Things Discussed: Shovel Knight, Valiant Hearts, 1001 Spikes, Teleglitch, DuckTales Remastered, Mario Kart 8, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Village, Silent Hill 4: The Room

Im really happy that Danielle has joined the show on a permanent basis.  I can always count on her to have played something new that week.

Im really happy that Danielle has joined the show on a permanent basis.  I can always count on her to have played something new that week.

Yeah, me too. Great addition to the idle hand.

I guess my wish from last week was granted! Congrats Nick!

Yeah, that was the cool part of having press on the cast, and now Danielle has brought that along with her quest to play animal-themed puzzle platformers.

This is the best news!

It isn't taking much to sell me on Shovel Knight. For the last week or so I've seen people talking about playing the game a lot, but I got no details.

I'm getting to the Sonic discussion and, forgive me everyone, but I feel obligated to point out the "Bad Sonic Fan Art" Twitter account. Disclaimer: internet wtf will be found.

I'm getting to the Sonic discussion and, forgive me everyone, but I feel obligated to point out the "Bad Sonic Fan Art" Twitter account. Disclaimer: internet wtf will be found.

You absolutely are not obligated to point that out.  We've ventured into terrifying Sonic stuff in the forums before (never Google "[Your Name] the Hedgehog") and it has never failed to chill me to my core.

You absolutely are not obligated to point that out.  We've ventured into terrifying Sonic stuff in the forums before (never Google "[Your Name] the Hedgehog") and it has never failed to chill me to my core.

but it's so fuuuuuuun

re: 2D games that play like Dark Souls, I hear Below is the result of the Capybara people wanting to make exactly that. So yeah, that's exciting.

God, Nick is on fire this episode. What a treat!

I have also had dreams where real-life friends have absolutely baffling dream-only nicknames or catchphrases and wish I could reverse-engineer them, if only to figure out how my brain works. Chris Remo => Chremo => Kemo => KeLo? The world may never know.

I don't really know much about Nick Breckon, but after that Wii U talk I would bet pretty good money that he grew up in Michigan or the northern mid-west somewhere.  Not wanting to enjoy a thing that you know will not last is, I think the cultural thread that holds this region together.  I mean right down the the hint of guilt for taking joy in the fleeting, Nick could probably host Prairie Home Companion when Keillor retires.

So pumped to have Danielle in my podcast rotation. I realized today that Idle Thumbs is the first video game podcast I've had in my life with a regular female cast-member since Legendary Thread on 1Up back in 2007 or so. You are all ballers so thank you.

So pumped to have Danielle in my podcast rotation.

I remember being sad when Danielle fell off of Jumping the Shark way back when. Actually, the whole way that No High Scores fell apart bums me out and makes me glad whenever I see people from it popping up elsewhere.

Wait, this episode had no Kojima discussion at all.

We now have five possible hosts for four possible microphones, which is really cool, in my opinion.  For instance, tonight all five of us are available so Thumbs 165: Kojima's Demise (that's the title I would give it, I've already decided) will be Jake/Chris/Nick/Danielle.

So much lies :( :( :(

I don't really know much about Nick Breckon, but after that Wii U talk I would bet pretty good money that he grew up in Michigan or the northern mid-west somewhere. Not wanting to enjoy a thing that you know will not last is, I think the cultural thread that holds this region together. I mean right down the the hint of guilt for taking joy in the fleeting, Nick could probably host Prairie Home Companion when Keillor retires.

Born and raised in Plymouth, Michigan..........

I wonder if there were dice on the mirror or what the license plate said............

Yey, Danielle! Fuck, Yey, Nick!

I love how the podcast starts with the question of has anyone played video games in the past week and others being surprised and delighted when someone actually has.

I have never once laughed when hearing Prairie Home Companion on NPR. In fact I don't even know what the set up of the show is or what kind of joke the audience is laughing so hysterically at. It's so depressing when that show is on and I don't have anything else to listen to in the car. I imagine it's because this program appeals to the type of person who reads Family Circus and chuckles. I couldn't tell you, I was a Calvin and Hobbes boy.

And Garrison Keiller's voice, oh god kill me. When I lived in Houston, if I were just a few minutes late to work, suddenly all news would shut off and his terrible voice would come on and read his little Writer's Almanac segment. I just can't take the pauses in his delivery. It's so awkward and unnerving to me I can't understand why anyone feels this man has an amazing voice. It's a voice alright, but fuck.

I wish I could find the clip about this on The Simpsons but no dice.