mkenyon

Moondog - The Real Moon Wizard

I thought about this guy during the recent episode that had a discussion about Destiny and the Moon Wizard. I'm surprised I never mentioned him before, because he personifies Idle Thumbs.

Esoteric, crazy music, Wizard garb, and general wackiness. His name is a combination of Moon and (Big)Dog. I mean, look at this guy.

From Wiki:

Moondog, born Louis Thomas Hardin (May 26, 1916 – September 8, 1999), was a blind American composer, musician, poet and inventor of several musical instruments. Moving to New York as a young man, Moondog made a deliberate decision to make his home on the streets there, where he spent approximately twenty of the thirty years he lived in the city. Most days he could be found in his chosen part of town wearing clothes he had created based on his own interpretation of the Norse god Odin.[citation needed] Thanks to his unconventional outfits and lifestyle, he was known for much of his life as "The Viking of 6th Avenue".[1]

Please mock if I'm LTTP on this, but I had to share.

Oh my god this is incredible. 

If I were a god I would probably walk around like that guy.

"Moondog visited America briefly in 1989, for a tribute in which Philip Glass asked him to conduct the Brooklyn Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, at the New Music America Festival in Brooklyn, stimulating a renewed interest in his music." 

So cool.

Esoteric, crazy music, Wizard garb, and general wackiness. His name is a combination of Moon and (Big)Dog. I mean, look at this guy.

"Bird's Lament"

I believe he also seems to be wearing an what looks like an Assassin's Creed hood in that picture. 

You mean Moondog's Iconic Headdress?

I love Moondog.

One of his albums is called 'Pax Sax for a sax'. superb.

Moon Dogg is Snoop Dogg's new name when he starts his Jazz career.

I don't know if I'm disappointed or pleasantly surprised that someone so ridiculous sounding is actually super talented.

Moondog is a fucking genius, and amazing composer; definitely one if my favorite artists. I recommend Sax Pax for a Sax, good entry for his music since he tends to get very Avant-Garde with his music. H'art songs is worth checking too.

Y'all need to check out Sun Ra; a true brother from another planet.

When I look at Moondog on Deezer, there are tens of albums, but most of them seem to have the same pieces, except for Sax Pax and a few others probably. I've left some albums on when I go to sleep but I almost always hear the same stuff.

Everyone just started singing! I am loving this.