So I really hate the name of this game. But I have to admit that it's a bunch of fun to play.

Has anyone else tried this?

I played a lot of the source mod version, but I haven't tried the standalone yet. I remember there being a lot of military guys on voicechat back in the day, so even pub games had a bit of tacticalness to them. The sound design was also really good, especially the sound of a distant firefight. How's finding a game? I remember there being about 5-6 servers that were consistently populated and somewhat moderated for aimbots and such (was a serious problem back in the source version, I'm hoping the standalone gave them the chance to do whatever it is you do to prevent that.).

I had no problem finding games. I just played for a while and it is a surprisingly vocal community which leads to a lot of affinity over time; I enjoy how I start following a particular person around and become a bit saddened when they leave. Of course I ran into hackers, but it was interesting to vote them out. The theme inspires a lot of uncomfortable racial slurs against people of middle-eastern descent. The game seems to want to encourage the more racist traumas of the Iraq war. When I shot portraits of Saddam Hussein during the training, and the tutor guy quipped "You've just made the world a better place" I was like...uh... Sometimes I care, other times I just remember that I can't do shit about it. I was reminded of all the controversies about Medal of Honor letting people play as insurgents and all. At some point the game reminded me that the controversies don't shut down taboo themes, they just force them into the indie-space. 

The game is really difficult for me; I couldn't beat the training mission. This may be because I was using mouse and keyboard. Once I started understanding the modes and getting familiar with the maps, I really began to enjoy its particular weight. Playing reminded me of when I first started playing GRAW on the 360. It feels very tactical. Quick kills that aren't indicated at all make the combat around corners really interesting. I find myself shooting down a hall-way unsure of whether or not I've already killed them, how many of the there are, and a few times I've actually disengaged to retreat a bit and camp to make sure that it's not an extended bout of friendly fire. 

The maps I played are the perfect porportion for the speed of movement and objective gameplay. Getting any sort of orientation was the largest barrier for me. This is common in multi-player FPS games, but the case here seems extreme. It took about 3-4 hours of play time before I had any idea of where the enemy was spawning from and where my team was located if they didn't die in the last wave. I love the amount of spectating that I do in this game. I watched so many people throw grenades out of windows, only to hit to miss and run out of the room quickly. I also enjoy listening to people comment on the remaining player's performances. It makes it feel like more of a social activity.

I found Firefight very enjoyable and also Push. I still haven't learned the nuances such as how the waves calculate the portion of the team who has died and when it's a good time to let the enemy come to you. I'm not good at the game ( I haven't een been able to figure out how to change classes mid-match)  but like I said it reminds me of what it felt like to play GRAW when GRAW was fresh. I didn't realize that I wanted to be reminded of that. 

I basically have to separate my disconnect between the typical hawkish bent of the modern military shooter and Insurgency's unbelievably complex, rewarding shootouts.

The game feels like the kind of product Red Storm would ship if they were still around today (in any real capacity I mean, not just another meat grinder for Ubisoft's latest annualized franchise). It clearly reveres the old-school tactical shooter--its pace is akin to the original Ghost Recon and features a gear weight mechanic a la Rainbow Six--while acknowledging current trends of the genre such as aiming down sights and complex weapons customization.

It has the best weapon handling model since Bad Company 2, and the sound design easily rivals that of BF3. Player sound is communicated incredibly well (especially if playing in 5.1), and the range of noises seems greater than most AAA titles.

It's a very methodical, intense game that hearkens back to an era of shooter that I loved dearly. Death doesn't feel cheap--dying feels like I've been out-played. I missed that feeling.

I really enjoy how when I run across a street, I see single shots richocheting around me (if I'm not killed). I also find myself listening to the gunfire and reload barks to figure out where the enemy is flanking and what my teammates have covered.

There is something to be said for a game where VIP can actually be enjoyable.

Also, I just played a match of Flashpoint on Peak and it was epic. When someone actually makes it past all the snipers and campers to sap a supply-node, it's incredible.

Sounds far better than could be reasonably expected! How would you describe it in terms of a meets-meets-meets?

I feel like I would be able to give you a better answer if I had ever played Counter-Strike. Based of of games I've played, I would say that it feels mostly like a blend between GRAW and Call of Duty 4. High lethality, no kill-cam, waves of spawning, and spectating other players while dead, makes the game feel distinct for me. I find myself using my pistol in this game and I never use my pistol in COD or Battlefield. It's got a pace somewhere between Battlefield and GRAW. In GRAW, everyone was too scared to move; the modes and maps in this game strongly incentivize pushing forward, but not running forward.

Final answer for me would be:

"Battlefield's rush-mode meets COD Modern Warfare's inside-building firefights meets GRAW's tactical pushes meets Shadowrun's watch-everyone-who-is-still-alive-not-see-the-guy"

This reviewer is adorable. He says some goofy shit, but I just watched a few reviews and this guy seems to express his is excitement in a way that rings true for me.

Sounds far better than could be reasonably expected! How would you describe it in terms of a meets-meets-meets?

The weapon handling is pure Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the movement feels similar but has the base-slide mechanic from Medal of Honor (2010). Equipment loadouts remind me of Rainbow Six (weight management) and BLOPS 2 (the player is given a number of equipment points to distribute as he sees fit). Games themselves feel like old-school tense shootouts, very reminiscent of Red Storm games ca. 2002 (Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six). Map design is Ghost Recon meets Modern Warfare (CoD 4).

Again, I liken it an old-school shooter receiving a modernized sequel--Insurgency takes a lot of great cues from both the classic tactical shooters and the current crop of competitive games, mixing them together in a satisfying game that manages to punch several rungs above its weight class.

So I really hate the name of this game.

They really should have named this game "He's Right There!"

What's the deal with lag in this game, it seems to be all over servers. I have no real foundational knowledge of lag, but it seems to pop up in strange ways here.

Here's an extra Steam key. Message me if you use it and I'll delete this post.
XJ9E3-J30F2-V9HWY

This game just got a pretty big update, most notably adding a great new cooperative mode (I basically only play it coop now), and tweaking the AI to be a lot less braindead. The new coop mode is great because it doesn't funnel you from point to point like the old ones, you're free to capture any point from the start and the AI crop up everywhere. It feels like a more frantic version of the old Rainbow Six terrorist hunts. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

@BadHat

Are you playing the co-op mode with random folks? If so, do they expect you to talk?

@Gaizokubanou

It is indeed in the lowest tier of the current Humble Bundle.

Mostly yeah, I occasionally play with friends but I've been playing with randoms while podcasting or catching up on Giant Bomb lately. I muted in-game voice so I don't really know if they expect it? But I barely ever see the voice notifications pop up, so I doubt it. It's not the most the tactical thing in the world, honestly.