Chris

Idle Thumbs 164: The Seed of a Sneeze

she's listed in the about section on the site now...this was actually addressed early in this thread even!

Yah!  I finished Capsule after getting stuck on the next to last mission a bunch of times in a row. 

Somebody earlier mentioned that they felt the end took a lot of luck to get through.  I believed the same thing, until a lucky streak on one run actually managed to teach me several things about the game that I had completely missed until then.  Turns out there are several tricks that make those final two long stretches a lot more manageable.  General tips:  Go slow and methodical, ping everything, experiment.  More specific tips:

You can jumpstart by holding back for a second or two, priming the engine, and then pushing forward.

Drones are your best friend. When you find one, let it tag along for awhile behind you. If you run into a Therian, you can drag the drone into it, which will release a bunch of air. On both of the last two runs, this is what gave me enough oxygen to get through.

Shrikes can be lured into mines to blow them up or led into energy sources to get them to stop. I also think they may become a power source under the right conditions, but I didn't figure out what this was. Twice I had power sources appear close to me directly following a Shrike attack that I dodged, but I'm not sure what it hit that caused the transformation, if that's even what happened.

she's listed in the about section on the site now...this was actually addressed early in this thread even!

Hey I don't read that.

Sorry, must have skimmed. :(

EDIT: Haha wow, went back. I guess I didn't read the first three pages of this fucking thread at all. I am shame.

If Steve Gaynor counted as a member then surely Danielle already does.

Before Steve left for Boston (and then subsequently for Portland) he was the third chair of the cast (replacing Breckon who left for Bethesda, killing the original podcast, hence Congrats Nick). I showed up and became a fourth.  Also Steve wrote for the original Idle Thumbs print site so he's as ingrained in Thumbs history as anyone.

We now have five possible hosts for four possible microphones, which is really cool, in my opinion.  For instance, tonight all five of us are available so Thumbs 165: Kojima's Demise (that's the title I would give it, I've already decided) will be Jake/Chris/Nick/Danielle.  I can't ever imagine a time where Chris AND Jake wouldn't be on the cast (ie: a Nick/Sean/Danielle romper room) but it seems like if everything holds steady the five of us will be the rotating regulars. (For what it's worth none of us have had an explicit conversation about this -- aside from "Danielle, you are no longer a special guest, you are just a Thumb" -- I'm just reporting the lay of the land so you guys know!)

We now have five possible hosts for four possible microphones, which is really cool, in my opinion.  ... "Danielle, you are no longer a special guest, you are just a Thumb"

If you count the current hosts on your hand in chronological order, then Chris, Jake, Nick, and Sean are the fingers, making Danielle not just A Thumb, she is the THE Thumb.

If you count the current hosts on your hand in chronological order, then Chris, Jake, Nick, and Sean are the fingers, making Danielle is not just A Thumb, she is the THE Thumb.

So Steve is a phantom limb... like a ghost thumb?

Before Steve left for Boston (and then subsequently for Portland) he was the third chair of the cast (replacing Breckon who left for Bethesda, killing the original podcast, hence Congrats Nick). I showed up and became a fourth.  Also Steve wrote for the original Idle Thumbs print site so he's as ingrained in Thumbs history as anyone.

We now have five possible hosts for four possible microphones, which is really cool, in my opinion.  For instance, tonight all five of us are available so Thumbs 165: Kojima's Demise (that's the title I would give it, I've already decided) will be Jake/Chris/Nick/Danielle.  I can't ever imagine a time where Chris AND Jake wouldn't be on the cast (ie: a Nick/Sean/Danielle romper room) but it seems like if everything holds steady the five of us will be the rotating regulars. (For what it's worth none of us have had an explicit conversation about this -- aside from "Danielle, you are no longer a special guest, you are just a Thumb" -- I'm just reporting the lay of the land so you guys know!)

I'm so happy

Oh man a Nick episode! And Danielle! At the same time!

I think it's a good idea to keep it at four people max. Seems like a good number to not have everything get too crazy.

Whenever we do 5+ it's a madhouse. That's welcome for GDC episodes and stuff but not for a regular week.

aaaaaaahhhhhhh shit son!

Next episode is going to be wild.

My personal conception of how Idle Thumbs gets new hosts is when a guest announces their name at the start of the podcast. Danielle could have been a guest forever, but she took that host chair by announcing her name, and she's not giving it back.

I don't think we've had an episode of Nick and Danielle sitting in so that'll be a cool dynamic to see. Or hear, whatever.

Also I think I made a joke in an email once about the host seating rotating.

We now have five possible hosts for four possible microphones, which is really cool, in my opinion.  For instance, tonight all five of us are available so Thumbs 165: Kojima's Demise (that's the title I would give it, I've already decided) will be Jake/Chris/Nick/Danielle.

But where have all the scoops gone?

RIP episode 150

that'll be a cool dynamic to see. Or hear, whatever.

Read.

It's always felt to me that the Star Citizen discussions are basically a fascination at what it is and what it's been doing, without commenting on the gameplay at all. I mean, the game is a pretty unique phenomena. I love hearing about it but also know I will never touch that game because of the financial barrier.

So, Real life sucked me away from listening for a few weeks and I'm still catching up but I have to respond to this....

1. The game runs (in pre pre pre alpha) very well on moderate machines (I've got a 2 year old laptop that runs it fine on low) < which btw low is gorgeous....so as far a PC specs go, i don't think it will be any more intensive than any other game coming out in 2 years...meaning, upgrading your system substantially isn't reeeeaally required (judging from alpha playtesting) 

2. I've read 2 or 3 comments on the price of the ships....you've got to remember they have never "sold" a ship...they've always spun it as..."your funding a game" or "your helping to kickstart a game" and as a thank you for that support, have a ship! ....obviously that's slightly splitting hairs but, prices of ships are artificially high right now for funding purposes. Seems I do remember, however, reading that ships will be proportionally priced with how they are now. Meaning a Hornet will be proportionally more expensive in game to the Aurora as it is now, they haven't release exact pricing at this point. 

....the game however will cost the typical cost of a game of its type. $50-$60 dollars for the single player Squadron 42 and the Multiplayer portion Star Citizen. 

So the barrier to entry is the same as any other game...yeah you can get ahead now and pay exorbitant prices, but your funding the game...not technically buying a car  space ship....

Speaking of, I can't find the ship commercials I emailed them any place so I'll post them here if anyone hasn't looked them up already....

FREELANCER (MISC)
 : 

chevy/ford/dodge - trucks, built MISC tough

300i series (Origin Jumpworks) : 
BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Audi 

Aurora (Robert's Space Industries) : 
Honda Civic/Scion

Hornet F7C (Anvil Aerospace) : 
Humvee/LandRover 

So once the game is out at 60$. I buy it, what am I flying to start? Do I buy new ones with in game grinding or real money?

Granted, I don't work for them...so this is all what I've random absorbed over the past 2 years or however long the kickstarter was...

From what I've read...you play Squadron 42, when you exit the single player (military) you have a sum of money to start the multiplayer game with (persistent universe) ...this sum of money (in game currency) you can use to either buy straight up one of the "starter" ships or combined with a loan system get a more expensive ship, which you then work in game to pay off....not sure how this will work....

short version, once you buy the game you can get everything in game with in game currency...you will have to play the game to earn money but it won't be a "grind" like a F2P title would put you through....supposedly, the persistent universe will be mostly bots, they've also said you can play the persistent universe on your own server, and thus can mod it too your whim...not sure how this will relate or if things carry over, I'd assume not....

also, it's been stated you can not buy in game items directly...I think you'll be limited to 20'000 UEE or something a day? or week? not sure....you then buy items with in game currency....