Chris

Idle Thumbs 164: The Seed of a Sneeze

Congrats Danielle!!

Super (ha!) happy to be here. I'm going to go eat a movie theater box of Junior Mints in celebration!

LOOK AGAIN, BROTHERMAN

I looked and was reminded that Dota Today hasn't seen an episode for a while!

Dubious.

1. Junior mints! Junior mints!

Make her

Part of the

Everyday cast!

she says "and I'm Danielle Riendeau." -- WHAT MORE DO YOU PEOPLE WANT

Sean he's clearly referring to the secret version of the podcast that comes out every day.

Oh, Danielle, since you're a fan of horror have you read the fiction of Strantzas, Aickman, Hirshberg, and Langan? Great horro/weird fiction writers.

I am so super excited that Danielle is an official Thumb now.

Sean talking about how he organizes his animated gifs is exactly what I want to listen to when I listen to podcasts.

I am being very serious right now, this is what I want the entire podcast to be. I don't know how to not sound sarcastic but I have to try.

You may have failed. But I've got some goodies in the to-use pile right now. Yeow.

I wish Nick Breckon didn't have to leave the cast to take that job in San Francisco. : (

Seriously though, I've been slowly working through the Crusader Kings videos again and I miss him.

I haven't seen the Metal Gear Ground Zeroes scene in question (I'll probably never see it), but it sounds way over the top and gross. Having fairly serious references to or occurrences of sexual abuse is by no means a new Metal Gear thing though. It's been a while so I could be misremembering, but I thought the way that aspect is handled in MGS2 was alright, but that was all done through codec conversations. The Ground Zeroes scenes seem like they're crafted for spectacle primarily, which is just really troubling. It makes me feel like whatever reveal that happens concerning the Quiet character will be terrible and just as offensive. :\

Danielle is sadly two decades too late to be living in the golden age of animal platformers.

Cxpw6rM.jpg

Chris's piece about games needing to just be what they are and not get bogged down in bullshit that doesn't matter really spoke to me. I had a similar epiphany this year in watching a lot of short and experimental films. It made me realize how much extemporaneous material is in so many feature films, especially out of modern Hollywood. You watch something like Scorpio Rising, it's such a perfect distillation of a certain tone and mood and setting that would be way way harder to do as well feature-length, with a plot or characters. Or even just watching older feature films, back when genre movies were rarely more than 80 minutes long and everything had to be tight and have a purpose. The new Transformers movie is apparently nearly three hours long for godsakes.

I wonder if the hypothetical present-day kid who wants the Star Citizen spaceship actually thinks it's more expensive because, to him, a video game is something that costs 99 cents on his phone of five bucks on Steam.

Animal platformer? You should play Kero Blaster! I haven't played it yet because I'm broke like always, but I hear it's the bee's knees and/or elbows. Disregard if it turns out you've talked about playing it before and I just forgot, since that's also possible.

I think it only came out for regular sale a couple weeks ago. I think it's totally fair that it's not on sale yet; it's already so cheap and as an indie dev you really want to make sure that you reach the people who are willing to pay "full price" before you start eating into the margin.

I don't disagree at all about the sale price or anything but it's worth pointing out that Capsule has been for sale on its really cool website for like, at least a year or two now. Games exist outside of Steam, folks!

I feel like there was some video or something that this podcast referenced and which I wanted someone to post in the thread but I can't remember what it is. So uh, if anyone would go ahead and just post literally every video or whatever mentioned in the podcast, I'll shuffle through them and find whatever it is I wanted. Thanks in advance.

Capsule is a pretty great atmospheric experience but the last level involves a lot of luck to complete.

I disagree that the setting is ambiguous. I felt that it pretty clearly takes place in space.

Sean seems to have quite the gif system. I wonder how useful he would find a single repository app for storing and sharing gifs.