Chris

Idle Thumbs 164: The Seed of a Sneeze

Idle Thumbs 164:

557__header.jpg

The Seed of a Sneeze

Lungs howling, eyes watering, mouth agape, you stare into the light. With your throttle down and thrusters on, your search for that satisfying release intensifies, but each passing moment serves to only charge your panic—will you find it? Is it there? Is it you? Then, finally...Gesundheit! Video games.

Things Discussed: Star Citizen, Munin, Capsule, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Tony Zurovec is the Crusader: No Remorse/Regret guy that joined Star Citizen:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13960-Meet-Tony-Zurovec

If you ever bought a original boxed copy of Crusader you know he's a good fit for this weird Star Citizen game. Included with the boxed copies were things like a 4 page company news level of the in-game company you worked for, and a resistance manual. (The Crusader games were awesome)

Is Star Citizen going to be the ultimate pay to win game? how will an in game ship economy even work when people already have so many permanently insured ships? If someone just buys the game, on the day it finally out, and starts flying around, how far behind will they be?

Is Star Citizen going to be the ultimate pay to win game? how will an in game ship economy even work when people already have so many permanently insured ships? If someone just buys the game, on the day it finally out, and starts flying around, how far behind will they be?

Supposedly, the vast majority of the ships flying around will be NPCs allowing the devs to manipulate the economy as they see fit. We'll see how that goes.

Still listening in progress but had to point this out:

18:47 - Chris Remo: "Boost."

I sometimes react a little bit like Sean's parents did about $300 iPods when I hear people go, "oh, yeah, I bought a Playstation because it's got this game on it, haven't touched my XBox in a while." Or, "the game was about 4 hours, but given that it was only $20 in Microsoft points, I feel like I got my money's worth." Even though I dropped $20 on Xenonauts a couple weeks ago, that makes me think, "what are you, a millionaire or something?" for some reason.

I'm not broke, but I wring the heck out of my gaming dollars. Partly out of years of having to "make do," partly out of gaming being a hobby at least partly defined by how little I can spend versus how much I can get, and partly from having to justify tech purchases to a significant other. My laptop's from 2008, and I just built a new PC a year ago for $600, to replace my five year old one. I felt like I was hand-building a race car, even though it's an extremely modest machine.

The idea of having a PC, then buying a console, a TV, a sound system, and numerous $50+ games is just another realm of existence that others live in. Star Citizen? That's a game that "other people" are gonna play. Heck, it's like its own console, that happens to be playable on a PC, and you buy artificially scarce ships, and insurance for them, instead of games.

You can't hear it but I made this face when he said Boost.

ogkFUOc.jpg

Still listening in progress but had to point this out:

18:47 - Chris Remo: "Boost."

Well, I'm going to have to buy Capsule now.  Looked up it's Steam page, and if you guys hadn't already sold me on it, this would have:

Capsule is a short game, approximately 2 hours for most players. Capsule is not a game for everyone; if you are claustrophobic, misophonic, and/or have anxiety or triggers related to asphyxiation and/or darkness Capsule may not be a good game for you.

I absolutely love it when a game can actually make me feel anxiety. 

I probably shouldn't complain, but I'm a bit disappointed it isn't on sale during the Steam Sale.  I mean, it's only $5, but the Steam sale is happening.  I don't know if I can buy a game not on sale during the Steam sale.  Because Sale.

Well, I'm going to have to buy Capsule now.  Looked up it's Steam page, and if you guys hadn't already sold me on it, this would have:

I probably shouldn't complain, but I'm a bit disappointed it isn't on sale during the Steam Sale.  I mean, it's only $5, but the Steam sale is happening.  I don't know if I can buy a game not on sale during the Steam sale.  Because Sale.

You can do it, I believe in you.  Go to Adam's blog and see a photo of him and his daughter and then you'll realize your probably buying her an ice cream!

I think it only came out for regular sale a couple weeks ago. I think it's totally fair that it's not on sale yet; it's already so cheap and as an indie dev you really want to make sure that you reach the people who are willing to pay "full price" before you start eating into the margin.

You can do it, I believe in you.  Go to Adam's blog and see a photo of him and his daughter and then you'll realize your probably buying her an ice cream!

Bought!  You've managed to nail one of my weak spots (taking my daughter out for ice cream is pretty much one of my favorite things in the world).

Also, seriously, it's $5.  I shouldn't be cheap about buying really cool indie games. 

Also, also, searching on Steam, I had thought you guys were talking about Capsized, a weird little 2D platformer about a guy in a deep-sea diving suit thing.  I had a weird moment of disorientation as I tried to figure out how I had so deeply misunderstood what this game was about. 

I think it only came out for regular sale a couple weeks ago. I think it's totally fair that it's not on sale yet; it's already so cheap and as an indie dev you really want to make sure that you reach the people who are willing to pay "full price" before you start eating into the margin.

Ah, okay!  The release date on Steam says Feb. 14, 2012, so I thought this had been out for quite awhile.

Capsule is a short game, approximately 2 hours for most players. Capsule is not a game for everyone; if you are claustrophobic, misophonic, and/or have anxiety or triggers related to asphyxiation and/or darkness Capsule may not be a good game for you.

See now I'm torn. I have severe anxiety about drowning (since I'm a baby and never learned how to swim), and that sounds like the worst. At the same time, a tense cool, cool game for $5 sounds like the best.

EDIT: By the way, since this is the second week in a row of mentioning Justin McElroy, it seems worth pointing out that he is a really funny dude who, in addition to writing about video games for Polygon, hosts a podcast called "My Brother, My Brother, and Me" where he gives listeners and people from Yahoo Answers awful (and occasionally unsolicited) advice. The clip below is one of my favorite moments from the podcast.

1. Junior mints! Junior mints!

Make her

Part of the

Everyday cast!

2. Someone please make a compilation of the Star Citizen conversation; shit's pure gold.

3. Oh man, Crusader series, I love those games! The level of violence in those games had gravitas to it. There was something mean, dirty and gritty about it and made me uncomfortable playing them as a kid.

4. Gifs 4 life. I do almost the same thing, Sean.

1. Junior mints! Junior mints!

Make her

Part of the

Everyday cast!

she says "and I'm Danielle Riendeau." -- WHAT MORE DO YOU PEOPLE WANT

I liked the email regarding game complexity vs. simplicity. Chris' summation of making a game about an action vs. making a game about a person good at that action was one of the more concise things I've heard in a while. Like imagine if Max Payne included the mechanics of (forgive me, I forgot the game's title so here goes!) that game where every facet of using a gun was mapped to keybinds that were necessary for play; that would be terrible.

Going in a different direction from that - As strange as it is, World of Warcraft of all things has made me aware of peoples' varying perspective on what constitutes complexity in a video game. Making it brief for those who don't know, in the next WoW expansion Blizzard is doing a lot of cutting down on active abilities a player has to be concerned with in order to play (via outright removal, consolidation, or leaving things available only to specific talent specializations). I'm all for this, because every character I played had 30 to 40 buttons available to press and it was ridiculous. There was a ton of redundancy or ho-hum buttons to have involved. While I'm usually critical of Blizzard scrapping entire systems expansion to expansion this is the first time I am on board 100% with what they're doing. Whatever complexities that exist in a class' abilities are still around. They're just expressed / achieved in a new way.

Here's the kicker; less buttons to press has resulted in people flipping out about "dumbing the game down", hand-holding, etc. And granted that's the reaction you'd expect from people posting on Blizzard's forum (sorry to bash it), but what I realize is that people forget that video game complexity doesn't just rely on or show itself by player input. The complexities can exist in the systems governing the game, which make the player's input more critical in timing or thought-process / outlook.

Also I kinda just object to the notion that more buttons or using every button on a controller speaks to a game's quality or depth. Some people have that viewpoint and I can't relate to it at all.