Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

So Much Ireland (Help me plan my trip!)

Is this just our official chat about Ireland thread now?

Cause I'm for that. The Garth Brooks thing is so weird, the Taoiseach (Prime Minister/head government) had a meeting to try sort something out because of just how much money this'd make for the country.

It got weird for me when the Mexican Ambassador said he would help out if he could. I really don't know how or why, but he offered.

I'm more worried that someone will think that gerbil is Brooks and maybe kidnap him.

I don't remember what but I feel like this isn't the first time that a random country said "Oh you need a hand with something Ireland? We could help."

Also there's gerbil gossip too now? Having a job has me so out of the loop.

It is one of the larger islands SW of Norway blix.

Wait, why did all Garth Brooks concerts get cancelled?

It's possible I could be confused with him being two large white men, but I think he's more bald than me in general. I got this red beard I've gotta show off there, since none of my other hair grows in red.

Basically the concert was planned to be in this big sports stadium that's literally in the middle of a residential area. Nearby residents aren't that keen on how actively the stadium is used for general events, but there's special provisions to keep it from being too bad, like limiting the number of concerts they can hold.

Along comes Garth Brooks, and the agency running the gig book a few nights that sell out, then they say "Ah, why not book 5?"

I've heard a lot of people say it's supposed to be maximum 3 concerts a year in this place, but I don't know if that's entirely accurate cause I haven't looked into it myself, the point is it's too much. The residents complained and actually got their complaint heard, so Garth was told 3 nights only. Then Mr. Brooks said "I don't want to disappoint my fans, if not all of them can be there then I wont do any of the nights."

So yeah, cause of that people went a bit mental. Also it turned out the agency never even applied for the permit they needed for the initial few days run. So there was that too.

Apparently 1 in 10 people in Ireland is a Garth Brook's fan.  WTF Ireland?!

This is an irish phenomenon known as "holy shit, that famous person will be here!? In this country? Screw it, let's go then I guess."

To the high court!

Anyhow, my friends stayed Saturday night and then spent a few days in a B&B in west cork. They drove all the way to Mizen Head and thought the whole drive was lovely. It's very touristy around that area so there is a lot to do like small visitors centrers and gardens and whatnot.

While that looks awesome, I don't know if we can fit in the drive there in our current itenary.

Also, what's good to eat? It doesn't have to be amazing but what's the usual food without me stopping at Subway, which you mentioned earlier. All Subways smell like bathrooms.

What's your itinerary? Best place I've eaten in Galway is ard bia by the Spanish arch. Nomnomnom.

Are you just wondering general what to eat, or more looking for specific nice places or thing?

Well, we are only going to be in Galway one day and my wife has the restaurant sorted out there. I'm just wondering in general of what to eat, but certain cities might be helpful too. I'm guessing Mexican food would be the worst idea.

We are going to Galway, Derry, Belfast, Killarney, Drogheda, Dublin, Cork, Dingle, and Limerick.

Feic, quite the itinerary!

Mexican food may be a gamble. It's good enough for us, but you are a bit closer to the authentic thing:P Also, it will all be Tex Mex, i've never encountered actual Mexican food in Ireland (I'm guessing Dublin has some to offer though).

Some things to try:

Black Pudding (it's made from blood!).

Good rashers (i think you may know this as Canadian bacon)

Local beers  (MetalMan, Franciscan Well, Tom Crean down this end of the country. )

Guinness and Murphys

Local Cheeses

Fish and Chips, do your research, maybe the one in Galway as it came recommended!

Good ham

A breakfast roll (so gross, i don't actually recommend)

Do not ask for:

Corned beef and cabbage

If you are looking for a quick lunch, every small supermarket in the country makes rolls/sandwiches/wraps at lunchtime. Just join the queue and tell them what you want. Should be around €3.50 - €4.50. Also, just ask them to make a salad if you want.

If you want to go for a picnic, then i would pick up some bread, cheese, salad and meat from an Aldi or Lidl (or Dunnes or Tesco). you should get things nice and cheap there. Just find a park, or a cliffside or something. 

For sit down lunch, i guess just follow your nose!

For sit down dinners, i guess look at reviews. Look for early birds, as you can get great deals with them. You don't have a to tip heavily, 10% is more than enough.

You also don't have to tip for things like coffee, or drinks in bars, or even at lunch time really (i'll usually leave a euro or two at most).

Here are some recomends for places I like and have been to:

Galway: I think you have this sorted, but Ard Bia for brunch is so very worth it (maybe only weekends).

Derry, Belfast, Drogheda: Never been up that end of the country.

Killarney: Wholesome Fayre is very good. Great place to either sit in, or stock up for a picnic. They have a tiny cheese room that they let me into one day caus i asked. They make amazing salads!

Dublin: Fallon and Byrne is amazing. Much like Wholesome Fayre, but on a much larger scale. I honestly will just wander around here looking at food. Once again, great for a sit down, or to get salad/picnic during the day. There are different restraunts on site, so check out which you might like. Might be a good idea to book ahead in dublin, I've been left wandering a few times. If you get very drunk and need some soakage, then Zaytoon is where you want to get to in the middle of the night:P I used to know much more of dublin, but i'm out of the loop these days.

Cork: Market Lane is really good, and a lot of their menu will be irish (I got ham hock last time i was there). Yaun Ming Yaun does some delicious dim sum. The English Market would be great for some traditional foods (cafe upstairs), or to stock up on picnic items.

Dingle: Not sure, haven't eaten there in years! There is a brewery though, and apparently they are making some very nice stuff there.

Limerick:Copper and Spice just outside the city is really good for indian. In the city, Azur is an excellent fish restraunt. i don't even eat much fish, but i love it there. Freddie's Bistro is another winner. If you are there on Saturday morning, the market is an awesome place to wander around.

Also, do you know how to roundabout?!

Temple bar in dublin is very pretty, but is a shameless tourist trap. Don't get food or drink there, unless you like paying out your nose.

Ha,for Dingle, my sister's friend just got interviewed by a local foodie blog:

The best meal I’ve eaten recently was in The Global Village in Dingle. I’m still dreaming of the Lobster Bisque served in a shot glass. If you love food, The Global Village shouldn’t be missed.

Staying in Dingle, I love the calamari from the Reel Fish & Chip Co. on Holy Ground. The poached eggs in the Dingle Skellig Hotel are pretty spectacular. And is any trip to Dingle complete without a trip to Murphy’s Ice cream?

In Killarney, I love curling up on one of the vast couches in the foyer of The Europe Hotel for a cup of tea and club sandwich, after a walk around the lakes. Afternoon Tea in The Park Hotel The Malton Hotel or Miss Courtney’s Tearooms is such a lovely treat. The burgers in the Smokehouse in Killarney are yummy, make sure you’re hungry though, these bad boys demand a big appetite – somehow I always manage to finish mine!

Two places definitely on my shortlist of places to try very soon – I can’t believe I haven’t gone yet – are Jacks in Cromane and La Cucina in Killarney.

Holy shit, Digs, amazing recommendations, we will probably figure out in and put something solid on our itenerary.

Also there was a major roundabout in the museum district when I lived in Houston, so hopefully I won't be too confused being on the other side of the car.