Sign in to follow this  
thefrozenpoison

RPG Maker VX Ace

I got it in the recent humble bundle thing they did, I've played around more with the free trials of much earlier versions though and it's largely a pretty hassle free way to make a game. And you can actually do quite a lot with the quasi-programming in it. I once made a different version of Final Fantasy VII's materia system in an older version... it really wasn't worth my time, but it was possible!

Though you need to either ditch combat largely, put a lot of work in or accept that it'll be mediocre at best.

I have ideas of stuff I'd like to make, I just need to initiate it as a habit somehow so I start working bits and pieces.

I've been using RPG Maker for a long time just for fun. I haven't used the newer ones too much but I got deep into RM2K back in the days of yore. They're great for quickly mocking up 2D tile-based games. The interface for designing maps is particularly intuitive and fast. Once you know the systems you can pretty much make games as soon as an idea pops into your head (as long as it can fit into the JRPG mold of course). I believe with the newer versions you can finagle it to do pretty much anything you want, but at a certain point it might make more sense to use something like Game Maker.

Been playing around with it for a little over a week and my only complaint is that it is pretty much entirely without tutorial.  Chunks of the first section I made are overly complex and basically the wrong way to do things, mainly because I had no other idea how to do it other than some of the very basic and visible notes left out.  It is at the very least an interesting experience to be making something, even if it is basically going to fall apart the moment I loose focus.