tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

2 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

All of Mario is random as fuck.  I think him being an Italian plumber from New York is maybe the most sane thing about it.

God, I can't get this thought out of my head of some random family in New York with a bad water leak calling a plumber and having Mario show up tripping balls on mushrooms and smashing everything in their house trying to jump on imaginary goombas while mumbling incoherently in a vague Italian accent.

If this ends up being the premise behind Super Mario Odyssey, I take back every negative thing I've said about the Switch. 

I just picked up the Nintendo Switch (gray)! Local gamestop had a returned copy from someone who bought two (probably seeing which one came in the mail first).

Have it covertly plugged in at work and have been downloading updates for the system and for Zelda. I'm realizing that I truly love downloading and installing updates. It's even more joyous to get a new computer and install a load of Steam games and my music production software and plugins.

And then I generally don't feel as excited anymore. It's like I'm a drug addict who is tired of being high, but gets caught up in that "anticipatory moment". So playing games is fine and all, but installing them seems to instill a greater hit of dopamine.

Just me, or anyone else get this?

15 hours ago, ariskany_evan said:

I just picked up the Nintendo Switch (gray)! Local gamestop had a returned copy from someone who bought two (probably seeing which one came in the mail first).

Have it covertly plugged in at work and have been downloading updates for the system and for Zelda. I'm realizing that I truly love downloading and installing updates. It's even more joyous to get a new computer and install a load of Steam games and my music production software and plugins.

And then I generally don't feel as excited anymore. It's like I'm a drug addict who is tired of being high, but gets caught up in that "anticipatory moment". So playing games is fine and all, but installing them seems to instill a greater hit of dopamine.

Just me, or anyone else get this?

I know what you mean.  I'm one of those people who always reads patch notes to see exactly what's changed and how, which builds into my excitement to try the changes out.  After all this time seeing and installing updates has become a Pavlovian response, even when there are no release notes to be found.

In the shower I just realized that one of my favorite aspects of Super Metroid is that it tries to be atmospheric and moody, limited technology be damned. 

Any examples from different genres would fly as well. II'm open to general 2D games with simple inputs, fun movement and a similar vibe.

Is this the right thread? My vacation started and I thought I should finally play some games again. I also remember that something cool maybe just came out, but what was it? It's not Tacoma or Fugl, already bought those.

1 hour ago, Erkki said:

Is this the right thread? My vacation started and I thought I should finally play some games again. I also remember that something cool maybe just came out, but what was it? It's not Tacoma or Fugl, already bought those.

Heat Signature?

(A space heist rogue-lite game by the creator of Gunpoint)

Thanks, I think that's what I was thinking about, also remembered it myself. However, I just read one review that said it doesn't hold up for very long so I might just be satisfied with Fugl and Tacoma and whatever else is in my backlog

Heat Sig feels very "get out what you put in" to me. Saying it's not very long is in some ways saying that Spelunky isn't very long. In some ways it's accurate, sure. I've been surprised and pleased by some aspects of the unfolding "story", but I can tell the thing that will make me load the game in the future is the actual act of entering a ship and hitting people with a cyber-wrench, rather than the progression of the story and galaxy.

Playing Lawbreakers' Blitzball mode for the first time yesterday, and I laughed when I found out the ball has the same voice as Morty.

Cuphead gets so much easier if you: 

1. remap the shoot button to a trigger instead of a face button

2. use the homing shot 100% of the time and just worry about positioning 

It's also pretty cool that you can map functions to button releases as well as presses. Maybe i'll try mapping Dash to trigger release 🤔

Hello friends. I recently got a full time job for the first time after spending yonks doing nothing. Now I have no time to play video games! Wtf? Is this what being an actual adult is like? 

What little time I do have is devoted to MGSV which is still amazing and feels incredible to play and I don't expect bombing around Afghanistan abducting goons while 80s music plays to get old soon, even after 200 or so hours. BUT there is one thing. Breath of the Wild has ruined all open world games as now, whenever you can't climb everything in sight it feels like total bullshit, a massive oversight! 

On 11/1/2017 at 5:16 PM, Woodfella said:

Hello friends. I recently got a full time job for the first time after spending yonks doing nothing. Now I have no time to play video games! Wtf? Is this what being an actual adult is like?

But with this extra income think of all the games you can now afford to buy and not have time to play!

I've only played games 30 minutes this year, but I also stopped buying them (more or less)

I pretty much play only a few small indie games a year now. I’ve been thinking lately about the time when in the 90s and 2000s we were laughing at some lawyers and various people who wanted to blame video games for real world violence and how we never believed them. But now after  gamergate and trump, it seems like maybe gamers and gamer culture in general had an even worse effect on the world. Whenever someone now speaks of gamers, I think gamergaters. I think that event almost completely put me off gaming as such and I don’t really want to be associated with it a lot any more. I don’t hide that I still play some games, but I’ve definitely stopped identifying with gamers. But maybe the same would have just happened without gamergate as I just gradually played less and less

Well, maybe not exactly, but the general normalization of trolling is really bothering me and I think it's somewhat very connected to gamer culture.

In Russia the government is actually paying people to troll other countries.

Actually it's a bit weird to consider that this kind of Russian manipulation that is now seen in US elections, Brexit, Catalonia, has always been present and successful in Estonia. The biggest and probably most corrupt party is in power in the capital somewhat thanks to Russian connections. Unfortunately all other parties are just mostly ignoring the local Russian population, so it's not only the Russian meddling that is helping them votes, but also that they are mostly the only ones who actually represent the local Russians somewhat. But still, I don't think I can even remember a time when Russia hasn't been trying to sow misinformation. But it never had as big an effect as now. Anyway, I think it's a sick world if the western world has to deal with stuff like Brexit because we can't agree that Russia is an actual fucking enemy that is actually fighting us every day.

I've seen several articles citing Estonia (and to a lesser degree Finland) as a model on how to resist Russian trolling. I guess you guys are also a major testbed for their ops that then get applied globally.

On 2017-11-15 at 10:37 AM, osmosisch said:

I've seen several articles citing Estonia (and to a lesser degree Finland) as a model on how to resist Russian trolling.

I knew it! True story: my Russian neighbor told me "Passengers" was a good movie and I should watch it. Nice try, ruskie, I'm not watching that!

Over one year without random thoughts!

I've been watching a bunch of A Link to the Past randomizer races lately to the point that I now really want to try getting into this.  I've generated a random seed (albeit on easy mode) and picked up an item tracker.  But I really don't want to play with a keyboard and none of my controllers (360 and Steam) are well suited for this type of game.  I'm really considering getting a USB SNES controller.

As an aside to this, I started getting into these races because I was watching stuff from GDQx which happened a couple weeks ago.  I completely forgot to mention it at all but one of the better runs was a Link to the Past/Super Metroid randomizer.  If you're not familiar with that, it's a combination of both games where all the items are mixed between the two so that it's possible (and indeed extremely likely) to get SM items in LTTP and vice versa.  Certain doors act as transitions between the two games allowing for some creative routing.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

I've been watching a bunch of A Link to the Past randomizer races lately to the point that I now really want to try getting into this.  I've generated a random seed (albeit on easy mode) and picked up an item tracker.  But I really don't want to play with a keyboard and none of my controllers (360 and Steam) are well suited for this type of game.  I'm really considering getting a USB SNES controller.

I've just ordered a SNES controller.  Someone stop me.