tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Regarding the console on a monitor thing, just make sure you can get audio out. If your monitor does audio then you're set of course, but otherwise you're left with just the optical out or the headphone jack on the controller if you have a PS4.

It seems the consensus is that BenQ monitors are pretty fantastic for console gaming. They're pricey, but much easier to move around than a TV, and probably better image quality. 

Also, PS4.

There is a performing dog on Britain's Got Talent called Trip Hazard. People are going to think I'm a big fan of this fucking dog.

If I buy a game in Germany, will it have English language as an option? I assume so since things are localised for "Europe" but I'd hate to waste my money.

Note: It's nintendo.

In the UK the vast majority of games have multiple European language options, typically English, French, German and Italian at minimum. Sometimes you get more regionally localised versions in the Nordics and so on but I suspect even those will include English. You may want to check the back of the box.

Everything from Nintendo in the EU will play in the language your system is set to. Only the packaging will be country-specific.

Wait no, I can tell you that some cartridges bought in Austria, like Professor Layton said they were only german on the box and did not include an english option. Also the same is true for Pokemon, no english option.

the most recent pokemon games (x, y, OR & AS) have had a language selector option, but i think the older ones did not.

Germany is special. Games are often German only, this is especially the case for the more violent games.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was great. Doom (ahem DOOM) is also great.

Will there be a new Quake that competes? I'd be curious as to how it might be modernised like Wolf and Doom.

Well, it'd be interesting to see what the "unique" distilled aspects of Quake would be - the new Doom already takes some things from Quake (like the verticality, and more trivially, the quad damage powerup) in modernising Doom. Other than the tone and aesthetics, and the "being really 3-d", what's the core things about Quake which make its gameplay different from Doom?

Doom 2016 works because it realised that the "core" things about Doom - the encouragement of aggression, the fast pace and rhythm which comes from being able to dodge projectiles whilst also attacking (and also not having things attacking all of the time - which is what secrets, and the need to find them are for), needing to prioritise enemies,  and, tonally, being totally comfortable with embracing the B-movieness of Demons Invade Mars as a plot - can be applied to a more modern FPS design.

So, what would we need to do to do the same with Quake? It's got a bit more weight to it, control-wise, than Doom, although not by much. The big changes to movement (other than the fact of 3d giving us jumping at all) are grenade and rocket jumps and swimming sections (plus those air pipes which push you around in some later levels). The big environmental changes are that the environment can change more - there's a bunch of "mechanical" traps which rely on the floor or ceiling or walls moving when you trip switches - or actively attacks you with projectiles (which require timing to avoid). 

Oh, and it has trick bosses. [And, I realised after writing this, it actually has trick enemies - zombies can't be killed unless gibbed/dealt enough damage in one hit to explode them; shamblers are explosive-resistant; spawn explode when killed, so you need to get distance from them to safely dispatch them etc]

Edited by aoanla

Reflex is an updated version of Quake multiplayer but it's a very faithful recreation of the CPMA mod for Quake than it is a straight remake of Quake.\

The main difference between the two is the mod and some movement changes. I think you can move in air differently to what Quake allows.

edit: yeah I did miss that you were talking about SP Quake.

Anyway I was going to add that this style of multiplayer is about controlling item timers on the map like Red Armour or Mega Health. Maps are usually designed in a way that you have to sacrifice one to secure the other and that even if you have RA the other players can still get Yellow A. and maybe a better gun before they look to fight you.

Duels especially tend to be about picking up one of the three essential weapons (rail, rocket, lightning guns), either YA or RA and looking for a kill before resetting your stack once you have map control again.

As for SPness I really only started with Quake 4 and it felt like it was already being influenced by other shooters like HL2.

When did 30/60fps become a thing? I mean in the minds of the player. I try and play Ocarina on N64 now and it's painfully chuggy but at no point when I played first time round did it even occur to me. Perhaps Perfect Dark was the first time I noticed slowdown, but even then it felt like 'this game is so awesome the TV can't keep up!!' When did old games become unplayable because I'm a 30fps-minimum baby?

When did a joystick and just one button become not enough?

When did a joystick and just one button become not enough?

It's still enough now! 

(Really though: when did one joystick/d-pad stop being enough...)

Well, it'd be interesting to see what the "unique" distilled aspects of Quake would be - the new Doom already takes some things from Quake (like the verticality, and more trivially, the quad damage powerup) in modernising Doom. Other than the tone and aesthetics, and the "being really 3-d", what's the core things about Quake which make its gameplay different from Doom?

I was thinking about that recently and I agree, it feels that gameplay wise, everything from Quake is kind of present in the new Doom already, except the setting and the aesthetics.

I feel that while the new Doom is successfully building on the original gameplay, it's doing that in the specific "closed arenas with waves of enemies" direction. The original Doom and Quake did not really work like that most of the time (even when it seems a lot of people remember it like that especially for Doom, plenty of wave-based fps games were described as Doom-like over the years). So I think one thing a potential new Quake could do is start from the same base and do something else than Doom 4 did. I'm not sure what it should be exactly, maybe focusing even more on 3D space traversal and not using the wave-arenas approach?

Anyway I was going to add that this style of multiplayer is about controlling item timers on the map like Red Armour or Mega Health. Maps are usually designed in a way that you have to sacrifice one to secure the other and that even if you have RA the other players can still get Yellow A. and maybe a better gun before they look to fight you.

Duels especially tend to be about picking up one of the three essential weapons (rail, rocket, lightning guns), either YA or RA and looking for a kill before resetting your stack once you have map control again.

I know that high level serious duels are played like that, but I'm not sure that's what the Quake multiplayer experience was/is for most people. I think it was about skillfully shooting people while rocket jumping around for most people.

I know that high level serious duels are played like that, but I'm not sure that's what the Quake multiplayer experience was/is for most people. I think it was about skillfully shooting people while rocket jumping around for most people.

I guess since I wasn't around for the glory days of multiplayer for Quek so all I really have to go off is the play styles I learn from the few people who still play Quake Live or Reflex that I meet these days.

Also I never played Prey but it still sort of feels like a modern take on what Quake did (at least what Quake 4 was doing) and space traversal was a big part of that. So some kind of densely layered shooter that allows for non-standard movement could be really welcome.

Renowned Explorers is really good, guys. It's got all the charm and tightness of Reus, but without the required twenty- or thirty-hour grind to reach the meat of the game. Every morning since the DLC came out, I've woken up with a quick hour-long campaign, and it's basically been the high point of those days.

I picked up a copy of that game awhile ago, and really want to play it, but have yet to. Overwhelming game year, etc. Lovely art style.