tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

I have played the opening to else Heart.Break() in Swedish, having spent some time learning basic Swedish. I was pretty pleased with how I picked up on most of it and it was fun that way. But I think when I go back to play more I'll have to take notes for the words or sentences I can't translate, rather than just having to skim over the occasional message and guess what it means.

Playing Dragon Quest 4 in Japanese right now. Kinda reminds me of playing Ocarina of Time as a child. I know enough to figure out what people are talking about, but I'm missing enough vocabulary to find it difficult to determine what exactly I should be doing. In English games, it's really easy for me to tell what information is important and what's not because I'm so comfortable with the way games are written in that language, but in Japanese, I treat all random NPC chatter with an equal amount of reverence because it's all equally difficult to understand. Because of this, it's taking me significantly longer to progress than it usually would.

But I'm learning a lot of cool new words! A good one I figured out early was the word for "appear", because it shows up at the start of every battle. I do use my dictionary a decent amount but over time I'm needing it less and less, which is a nice feeling. It helps that, similar to Pokemon (but to a lesser extent), these games are designed to be playable by children as well as adults. 

Does anyone here use Windows 10 on their gaming PC? I know there were some issues at launch, just wondering if they are getting resolved.

I haven't encountered any issues with Windows 10. That's just my experience though.

Has anyone here tried learning a new language through a game? I decided to play Pokemon Y with the language set to German. I'm surprised at how much I can work out thanks to knowing pokemon pretty well, but I do have to rely heavily on google translate...

Yes, English. Well not only through games and I didn't consciously plan to learn by playing them, but they were a major part of it.

Does anyone here use Windows 10 on their gaming PC? I know there were some issues at launch, just wondering if they are getting resolved.

There's one slightly annoying thing, if you have font scaling set in Windows, some (mostly older) games will be zoomed in and you'll only see a part of the screen. This can be fixed by right-clicking the .exe and disabling DPI scaling in the compatibility tab. I haven't noticed any other problems.

All of my problems with Windows 10 were not gaming related, and now that they're fixed I haven't had any issues in months and months.

Haha was it really just me and you?

I want to say it was just me and Sno who finished Killer 7 and even then I took way over the alotted time. Then I played it again right after on hard mode in a matter of two days. :o

As much as I'd like to do this again, I won't have time. Also I would be big on having everyone completing the game, even though we all mostly failed each time.

I definitely finished Killer 7, i love that game, but i don't think i went into the final few chapters with as much depth as i had meant to when starting out with that whole thing. That is, if i did any write-ups on those later chapters at all. I think i might have just gone and played it on my own after the group play fell apart.

I bailed out on SotC though.

Both of those, there seemed like a lot of tension between people who wanted to draw it out and only commit a couple of hours a week, and people who wanted to marathon the games. (Which... Might have just been me?) Personally, i can't really get much out of games if i'm only allotted short bursts over a long period of time. I like putting aside some time and diving deep, and it made accommodating people who wanted to play more casually kind of frustrating.

SotC was pretty good for that because the commitment was "one colossus per week". I was able to keep to that despite being in my final practicum of my degree, because it wasn't a crazy investment. My biggest problem with these has been that each time we've tried to run them it has been in one of the busiest times of the year for me. For example, if one were to start up now, we're in the thick of the junior high school basketball season and I'm coaching my school's team. Not a good time for game club. If we ran one while I was on summer vacation, rad!

How does Humble do Steam keys now? Can you always gift them, or are some still activated directly to your account?

How does Humble do Steam keys now? Can you always gift them, or are some still activated directly to your account?

i want to say it's all steam keys now b/c steam removed the ability for other services to hook into your account that way.

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/107906804069/changes-in-steam-key-redemption

also, i'd be down for a game club thing.

All this talk about the Witness (which I want to play but can't afford) makes me want to go back and see if I can finally finish Braid. I'm curious: how many of the people who played Braid beat it and how many looked up walkthroughs? I'm pretty bad at puzzle games (I don't have the patience) but I wonder if it's something I'd be able to push through or if Braid was as hard for everyone else as it was for me.

All this talk about the Witness (which I want to play but can't afford) makes me want to go back and see if I can finally finish Braid. I'm curious: how many of the people who played Braid beat it and how many looked up walkthroughs? I'm pretty bad at puzzle games (I don't have the patience) but I wonder if it's something I'd be able to push through or if Braid was as hard for everyone else as it was for me.

I loathe platformers but got through braid on my own. There's something about games that up-front let yo know they're hard that make me stubborn. It felt pretty good to finish it without help.

The stars though, pfft no way.

There was one puzzle I ended up looking up a hint for. It wasn't necessarily harder than other puzzles, but there was something I didn't know about the mechanics so my reaction was less "aha!" and more "well, I didn't even know that was something you could do". I never got stuck on any of the other puzzles for all that long. It's a challenging game but also maybe not as hard as its reputation might lead you to believe. Unlike something like SpaceChem that piles on complexity, Braid's puzzles are always quite small so to say.

Anyway, regarding The Witness, I think I'll get it on PS4. From what I've gathered though, there's not much save management going on in that game, so what's the best way for two people to play it simultaneously? Do I have to make a second PSN account just for that?

There was one puzzle I ended up looking up a hint for. It wasn't necessarily harder than other puzzles, but there was something I didn't know about the mechanics so my reaction was less "aha!" and more "well, I didn't even know that was something you could do". I never got stuck on any of the other puzzles for all that long. It's a challenging game but also maybe not as hard as its reputation might lead you to believe. Unlike something like SpaceChem that piles on complexity, Braid's puzzles are always quite small so to say.

Anyway, regarding The Witness, I think I'll get it on PS4. From what I've gathered though, there's not much save management going on in that game, so what's the best way for two people to play it simultaneously? Do I have to make a second PSN account just for that?

I looked up one solution too (with the same reaction). I'll bet it was for the same puzzle.

Regarding The Witness, I haven't messed with this, but there's both a "Start a New Game" and "Load Game" in the pause menu, so I think you can have multiple games going at once.

i want to say it's all steam keys now b/c steam removed the ability for other services to hook into your account that way.

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/107906804069/changes-in-steam-key-redemption

also, i'd be down for a game club thing.

Technically, once you open the bundle for yourself on Humble Bundle, each of the individual keys is labeled for personal use only. You're not supposed to give any of the keys to anyone else, but there isn't anything actually stopping you from doing so.

There is?  I thought there was specifically no reward for getting all the stars?  Or maybe it just hadn't been found back when people first started finding the stars?

I also thought there was specifically no reward for getting all the stars.

Man, the stars in Braid are so weird. A completely different story going on as barely attached metaphors under the surface.

If you were going to buy a new PC controller right now, what would you get?  We need to pick another one up and I'm debating what to get.  360 controllers obviously just work, with no extra divers/programs/etc.  But I've found over the years that 360 controllers die on me faster than any others.  I've used a PS4 controller, and liked it just fine.  Not sure what the fan made drivers for it have worked up, like how many of its extra features can be used now.  I have not used an X1 controller. 

Or are there good 3rd party PC controllers (razor, etc) that are worth considering?

After doing a bunch of reading about the Steam controller, I'm unsold on it, just sounds like more configuration work than I'm interested in right now.  I don't mind switching back and forth between KB/M and controller depending on which I like most for specific games.