tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Well, I mean, if you think Twine games are literally the same medium as books your argument makes more sense. I definitely don't agree at all, but it makes more sense. At any rate, I feel the answer to your initial question of "Why do people do this?" is "People don't view Twine as literature."

Of course Twine is literature! Literature is just a word that means (these days) a creative writing. That is all. It has no other connotations. Whether something is good literature is another matter entirely. But nobody should dismiss an entire medium of creative writing as 'not literature'. That's pretentious.

Of course Twine is literature! Literature is just a word that means (these days) a creative writing. That is all. It has no other connotations. Whether something is good literature is another matter entirely. But nobody should dismiss an entire medium of creative writing as 'not literature'. That's pretentious.

I'm not dismissing anything. I'm saying I don't think video games are the same medium as written fiction (or literature, which I mean as just that), and I'm saying that I think Twine is the former, not the latter. Moby Dick and Ultra Business Tycoon III are different mediums.

I'm not dismissing anything. I'm saying I don't think video games are the same medium as written fiction (or literature, which I mean as just that), and I'm saying that I think Twine is the former, not the latter. Moby Dick and Ultra Business Tycoon III are different mediums.

Moby Dick and Ultra Business Tycoon III are clearly different mediums. I can't argue against that. You are however using two extremes. Moby Dick is a very booky-book, and UBT III is a very Gamey-game.

While Moby Dick would not be considered literature if it's origins were in UBT III, if Moby Dick was turned into a more non-linear Twine experience, while still preserving the original text, does it lose it's literature label?

How does one turn Moby Dick non-linear while still preserving it's original text?

I don't condone doing this to a classic, but have the original, central narrative as the critical path, and flesh out the world with branching options that all eventually lead back to the central narrative.

This is how I write twines a lot of the time, sort of like The Walking Dead game. Your choices have no merit in the scheme of things, and the central narrative is always the same.

Fair enough. I would disagree, as I don't believe that the objective of such an undertaking would be preservation, but rather adaption. Like a book that becomes a film. I do, however, see exactly why you think that.

To summarize my feelings on this topic, I see Twine as the androgynous child of books and games. A bit hard to classify, but definitely not dissimilar to either. 

They definitely do. That's one of my struggles with Morrowind, because the game is kind of annoying to play when you're weak, but then they give you all these ways to empower yourself and eventually remove all challenge from the game and that's boring too. I was never able to find a good medium where I enjoyed the challenges presented to me. For the same reason I struggle to play Diablo II in permadeath mode (which is my preferred way) when I play offline and can easily revive my characters, I also struggle to enjoy Morrowind the way it is. Maybe the problem is more with Morrowind's mechanics than the broken spell system, because it's essentially just a way of cheating built into the game and then the issue is that the game tempts you to cheat.

Yeah, i understand what you're getting at, and Morrowind is definitely so broken that it's hard to draw a line between intended gameplay and systems exploitation. (100% chameleon being permanent and unfailing invisibility that you can stack towards across small and easily made enchantments, for example. It feels really broken, but you're not really exploiting a glitch or anything.)

You know, did anybody ever make any kind of major balance overhaul mod for Morrowind? That seems like something somebody should have done.

Yeah, i understand what you're getting at, and Morrowind is definitely so broken that it's hard to draw a line between intended gameplay and systems exploitation. (100% chameleon being permanent and unfailing invisibility that you can stack towards across small and easily made enchantments, for example. It feels really broken, but you're not really exploiting a glitch or anything.)

You know, did anybody ever make any kind of major balance overhaul mod for Morrowind? That seems like something somebody should have done.

Skywind is a mod in development porting the entire game of Morrowind into Skyrim. A lot of the super broken magic systems are missing from Skyrim so theoretically it will be more balanced.

this raises more questions than it answers ): ): ):

How does one turn Moby Dick non-linear while still preserving it's original text?

Ahab asks you if you would like another hour-long lecture on the science of whales

>You say Yes

>You say No

And the real bits of the text are maintained!

Now ask me how one turns Lord Of The Rings non-linear while still preserving it's original text.

Now ask me how one turns Lord Of The Rings non-linear while still preserving it's original text.

Ben, how does one turn Lord Of The Rings non-linear while still preserving it's original text?

WAT

IS

GAM

??

What if the word game joins the word pine apple in the forum filter. *********

Now that you have exhausted all information about whales, Ahab would like to know if you want to spend two more hours learning about the anatomy of a ship

>You say Yes

>You say No

There is a few ones on nexus, such as Morrowind Rebirth, but right now I am only using one which overhauls the graphics (I can´t remember the name right now, but is one the top file on nexus) a few other mods nothing big (like my oblivion or skyrim with their 245 mods + plus compilations).

>>Now that you have exhausted all information about whales, Ahab would like to know if you want to spend two more hours learning about the anatomy of a ship

>You say Yes

>You say No

hahahaha

*clicks the like button*

this raises more questions than it answers ): ): ):

(Gam is vulture in some European languages)