tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Not only does "snes" annoy me, but I'll go one level further because I always say "Super Nintendo". Fuck acronyms.

Pf, that's half a level further. If you're going to discard the acronym you'd better say "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".

I also grew up calling that console the Super Nintendo. SNES sounds weird to me but it just rolls off now. I definitely had that reaction at first.

vvv

Nintendo

Super Nintendo

Genesis

(I don't even know if I knew what a Sega Saturn was)

(no one had a Dreamcast that's so sad probably just Dreamcast)

Playstation

PS2

Nintendo 64: "En sixty-four"

Also all of these consoles are early enough in the history of video games that they can plausibly fall under "THAT NINTENDO" as in "Why don't you go outside instead of spending all your time on That Nintendo?"

Names I used growing up:

Nintendo Entertainment System: Nintendo (later N.E.S.)

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: "sness"

Sega Genesis: Sega

Sega Saturn: Saturn

Sega Dreamcast: Dreamcast

Sony Playstation: Playstation

Sony Playstation 2: PS2

Nintendo Game Boy: Game Boy

Game Boy Color: Game Boy
Game Boy Advance: Game Boy, only used "Game Boy Advance" when explaining to my parents what games I wanted for Christmas

Genesis

What really gets my goat is that you all refuse to call it the Mega Drive.

Names I used growing up:

Nintendo Entertainment System: Nintendo (later N.E.S.)

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: "sness"

Sega Genesis: Sega

Sega Saturn: Saturn

Sega Dreamcast: Dreamcast

Sony Playstation: Playstation

Sony Playstation 2: PS2

Nintendo Game Boy: Game Boy

Game Boy Color: Game Boy

Game Boy Advance: Game Boy, only used "Game Boy Advance" when explaining to my parents what games I wanted for Christmas

Nintendo DS: Game Boy

Nintendo DSi: Game Boy

Nintendo 3DS: Game Boy

I will never not call a portable Nintendo system a Game Boy, apparently.

Much love for Snezz but too young to have really used it.

My first console was a gameboy colour, then my brother's gameboy, then a PS2, a GB advanced SP, a PSP, then a PS3.

I rather regrettably sold all my Nintendo stuff for a paltry pc upgrade and I also uncracked my pre cracked psp which was a shame since I was really starting to enjoy Monster Hunter and these days the only bought disc I can find is Final Fantasy 1 (I didn't know it was cracked at the time, my dad randomly bought one in Malaysia, it came in a box and looked brand new).

Still have all my other Sony stuff but I basically only play PC now.

I'd love to get another Nintendo thing so I can play Splatoon, the new Zelda games, Bravely Default, and Bayonetta though. Does that mean I'd have to get a WiiU or is the DS series fine for those games?

It was just the GBA to me.

I'd love to get another Nintendo thing so I can play Splatoon, the new Zelda games, Bravely Default, and Bayonetta though. Does that mean I'd have to get a WiiU or is the DS series fine for those games?

Bravely Default is a 3DS game, Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 are Wii U games.

In addition I'll say that I liked the 2D Zelda games the most, and they'll all handhelds. Anyway, the 3D 'classic' ones are on 3DS now. Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. By the sound of it, the biggest one you'd miss is Wind Waker. Which I liked, but would not lose sleep over.

I will rep Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks every opportunity I am given. They're so fun! Every time I mention them I think about getting one second hand to replay.

Strange, I feel like everyone has something negative to say about those two games. I haven't played them yet, really behind on my Zelda, so that kind of helps me look more forward to them.

In addition I'll say that I liked the 2D Zelda games the most, and they'll all handhelds.

Have they been making 2D Zeldas since after the GBA days? I loved the 2D ones but never really cared for the series in 3D, I'd be very excited if there's a 2D Zelda I've missed.

Oh yeah a few. The handheld Zeldas are still 2D even when they use 3D models I think. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are both 2D from what I remember, though I only played PH and enjoyed it. Link Between Worlds is 2D, though it's half a remake of Link to the Past if that matters.

Oh yeah a few. The handheld Zeldas are still 2D even when they use 3D models I think. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are both 2D from what I remember

Well damn, I took one look at the art and said to myself "Sigh, another 3D Zelda I won't like". Apparently I have to look through all the handheld Zeldas again.

I am trying to play again Morrowind.... I had first played Daggerfall, but I skipped to Oblivion and Skyrim, since Morrowind wasn´t distribuited in Brazil on the time of launch, so I could only pick it up with Steam.

But the your character moves so slow (and keep in mind, even in running speed you still go very slow), that I find myself in this strange conflict, part of me want to explore the world, but the other hand part of my refuse to do it, because of how slow moving is and the risk of wasting a good time for nothing (like one time I by accident find a wraith in a tomb and got killed). I don´t mean the character should move at light speed, but only slight faster because right now I feel like this is almost counter intuitive to the exploration. Right now I got a quest to find some thiefs inside a salt mine and the perspective of going very slow inside isn´t encouraging.

But despite this and the vague quests, I am enjoying it a lot.

Strange, I feel like everyone has something negative to say about those two games. I haven't played them yet, really behind on my Zelda, so that kind of helps me look more forward to them.

They've got their minor issues, especially if you're burned out on Zelda or 'the formula', but they're both very solid, enjoyable games. Much of it comes down to if the idea of blowing into your DS to play panpipes makes you grin or grimace. I was the former.

There's really not that many Zelda games for a nearly 30 year period, so I never get burned out on them. I'll probably try to start them after I finally get to Twilight Princess HD when it comes out.

I also had no idea they were actually 2D just with 3D graphics. I've had them sitting on my shelf for years now, and my wife asked about them since she's started playing Zelda games this year and I told her I heard Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were that good and worried about the difficulty for her playing a 3D game meant for the old DS d-pad instead of on the 3DS analog stick, which she played Ocarina 3DS smoothly on. But if it is actually a 2.5D thing, I would guess it wouldn't actually be a control downgrade.