tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

You know what's cool and weird about games? You don't have to be the first to make something, you just have to be the best.

Contrary to what I do, where if you're the first, you're the one who's always cited, even if what you did wasn't all that great.

Did Steam change the drop times for cards again?  After the added returns, the put in a 2 hour delay to drops to stop people from buying games, getting cards, refunding the game.  But I bought Westerado when it was on sale this week, played some the other night and had all the cards drop within the first hour of play. 

I noticed that too, not sure what changed exactly.

How are the random crew member names in FTL generated? I've gotten some Nick Breckons and Chris Remos in my crew so I assume either the developer is a fan of Idle Thumbs or the names are pulled from crew member names that other people on your friend list have used.

Kickstarter backers' names went into the pool.

Oh awesome. Really glad that's the case because I always rename my characters to fit within a certain theme that I'd rather other people not have to be subjected to.

Did Steam change the drop times for cards again?  After the added returns, the put in a 2 hour delay to drops to stop people from buying games, getting cards, refunding the game.  But I bought Westerado when it was on sale this week, played some the other night and had all the cards drop within the first hour of play. 

I don´t notice anything different, so far every game I waited for card drops take at least the 2 hour rule to start, however the time that will take until all card drop change a lot, Mugen Souls for me take 6 hours, Neptunia take 8 hours both had 4 card for initial drop and need 8 to make the badge.

What are good games to play when tired and moody? I'm working so much at the moment, I get home and just want to play a game, but everything stresses me out too much. Splatoon makes me angry, MGSV feels like work, Xcom is too stressful and Crypt of the Necrodancer feels too punishing.

Normally I love all those games, but I just don't have patience to play them right now. So...what's relaxing, but still engaging? 

What are good games to play when tired and moody? I'm working so much at the moment, I get home and just want to play a game, but everything stresses me out too much. Splatoon makes me angry, MGSV feels like work, Xcom is too stressful and Crypt of the Necrodancer feels too punishing.

Normally I love all those games, but I just don't have patience to play them right now. So...what's relaxing, but still engaging? 

Minecraft.

I plug away at a classic JRPG on my phone in the evenings when I'm in those moods.  Currently on Dragon Quest 3. 

Any roguelikelike with a good loop does the job for me. I will often just zone out playing Spelunky, Binding of Isaac or Downwell. Rogue Legacy was that game for me a couple years ago.

That's when I would play a game like Harvest Moon (or Story of Seasons), or do something repetitive in Pokemon, like breeding or leveling. Something low stress, but also has some reward for doing well.

Any roguelikelike with a good loop does the job for me. I will often just zone out playing Spelunky, Binding of Isaac or Downwell. Rogue Legacy was that game for me a couple years ago.

Oh yeah I second this sentiment.

Can't do rogue likes if I'm tired and cranky. They require too much concentration. A JRPG doesn't sound like a bad idea. Pokemon, or Persona 4. I've been meaning to replay P4 for a while. Thanks!

I found that Super Metroid, Persona 4 and Dragon's Crown have been my staples. 

I'm not a fan of Phoenix Wright games. I love the courtroom parts, but nothing else. Which reminds me, I still have Danganronpa that I never got past the first chapter. I just find it hard to have a portable game that requires me to concentrate 100% on thanks to all the reading. 

I can't decide whether I like Dragon's Crown or not. I've played a lot of it, and despite it being an unpopular opinion, I love the art style, it's just a bit...repetitive. 

I don't understand why people like Uncharted.

I realize that I'm coming to this way after the fact being that I didn't have a PS3 when the Uncharted games were first released. I kept thinking as I played through Uncharted 1 and 2 that they weren't that good, but I figured that I was just playing less modern games, so I cut them some slack. Now I've started Uncharted 3, which is only 4 years old at this point, and it the whole thing still feels clunky as hell. The controls in climbing and running sequences are horrible, the shooting is all right, but nothing super special. Is it just the voice acting and story that everyone likes? Am I missing some magic control option that would make Drake jump to the things I want him to the first time, or highlight ledges that can be climbed versus those that can't? Oh, and is it notoriously glitchy? Because twice I've been going through a section, the next story step doesn't start, then I fall through the floor.

I don't like it either! I played 1 right before 2 was released. I thought it was shite, and I pretty much liked any game I bought back then. 

I thought they were all alright. I don't remember having issues with controls, but it's been a while. It's basically competent third person shooting plus increasingly crazy set-pieces plus a knockoff Indiana Jones plot (not necessarily a complaint...more a matter of personal taste). Two things that bothered me in those games were that there were too many shooting sections and it got tedious, and that Drake is portrayed as a Regular Dude but he's a fucking superhero killing machine which they try to hide it by making him grunt with effort when he does anything.

I played, and enjoyed, Uncharteds 1 and 2, but nothing was so special about them to ever get me to bother to play 3 (even though I ended up owning it).

They were particularly pretty games at the time of their release, so there's that. 

I've only played Uncharted 2 but I didn't find it to be especially noteworthy in the way that everyone was talking about.  Honestly it felt like the definition of middle ground, not doing anything wrong but nothing that blew me away either.