tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

I also have a curious desire about ck2, I found it impenetrable on my first go

and am also awake at weird hours with my newborn, if its OK with both parties I'd like to steam stream watch

I agree with watching. I don't think CK2 plays on Macs, which I might be wrong about, but I've always been interested in CK2 ever since I tried it and it was an unapproachable mess.

You could stream it and save the VOD as well so people wouldn't have to be awake at the same time.

Do I have to have that game installed to watch the stream?

I'm in the same boat as everyone else, it seems, in that I've tried to play CK2 but not really understood what I'm supposed to be doing. Seems such a fascinating game but not terribly user friendly

You could stream it and save the VOD as well so people wouldn't have to be awake at the same time.

Sure, but I'd also like to do it with someone. I've been playing CK2 for a thousand hours, so I don't really know what's not obvious to a non-intensive player.

CK2 multiplayer is still a bit unstable, as a warning. I like it a lot more than EU4, but I can never convince my friends to play since the connection dies for no determinable reason.

CK2 multiplayer is still a bit unstable, as a warning. I like it a lot more than EU4, but I can never convince my friends to play since the connection dies for no determinable reason.

Eh, it should be fine for a low-stakes teaching game, and that's enough for me, at least.

Eh, it should be fine for a low-stakes teaching game, and that's enough for me, at least.

CK2 multiplayer has always boggled my mind, who has time to play that game with others?

I have used it to help teach one friend. Me and my girlfriend intended to at some point play so we could essentially turn our countries into empires and dominate the rest of Europe. Sadly we didn't find time to make a Europe comprised mainly of the Irish and Swedish empires.

It makes a really good chat room with graphics. CK2 actually has a lot of waiting at certain points, so it's nice to have something to fill time.

My wariness with that is that instead of learning my own prescribed way to destroy CK2's systems, I would just be spoonfed someone else's prescribed way to destroy CK2. And that's even with feeling like I need a really good deal of help to figure out how the FUCK things work! Plus it's what I'd be doing anyway by following along a let's play or other account of playing. I dunno! It's weird.

As for my random thought, it's that I love Far Cry 2 but I don't think I should ever play it again.

I think the real meat of CK2 is not in beating it, but in interacting with it to create fun, interesting stories. Like one about how the Irish Count of Ossory's lineage created the British Empire (with an uncomfortable amount of kinslaying on the way).

Yesterday my neighbour came over, and expressed that she wanted to try playing a Zelda game, since she's heard good things about them and has never actually played one before. So I loaded up Skyward Sword for her, but she quickly complained about the lack of voice acting, and the outdated graphics. Here was a game from 2011 that in reality used technology from a decade earlier. She eventually started muttering "pretend it's from 2001, pretend it's from 2001." However, once she got the hang of it, she enjoyed the motion controls, and also really liked the characters, laughing at the dialogue in several points during her ~90 minutes with the game's opening sequences.

So I got to thinking, Nintendo doesn't really know how to introduce new audiences to their games, do they? For as popular as Zelda is in the mainstream, relatively few people actually play the games. It seems like the only people who played Skyward Sword have previously played a Zelda game and therefore have expectations about it such as the lack of voice acting. For the record, Twilight Princess was my first Zelda game, so even I'm relatively new to the franchise. Besides a handful of people like me though, it seems Zelda is a series that basically aims only to sell at the nostalgic crowd. I wondered how Nintendo should market the next Zelda differently, and the touted open world at least feels like a way of capturing some of the audience who want games like Elder Scrolls and The Witcher. 

I feel like it's honestly more weird now that we expect voice acting. Getting people who actually know what they are doing seems more expensive than some studios can afford and it risks ruining dialogue someone might have spent a lot of time writing well.

My wariness with that is that instead of learning my own prescribed way to destroy CK2's systems, I would just be spoonfed someone else's prescribed way to destroy CK2. And that's even with feeling like I need a really good deal of help to figure out how the FUCK things work! Plus it's what I'd be doing anyway by following along a let's play or other account of playing. I dunno! It's weird.

You'd be getting a tutorial for Crusader Kings 2, with live questions and feedback, from a professionally trained medieval historian! If that's not worth something, my chosen career is definitely doomed.

Really, though, I wouldn't be concerned about catching anyone's playstyle. As much of a granular engine for narrative as it is, mastery of CK2 isn't that individualized and the few things that are (preferred capitals, spouses, educations) are strongly and obviously down to taste. Moreover, as someone who knows about actual history (and whose love of it has occasionally estranged him from CK2), I'd hope that I'd have enough perspective to give advice for whatever kind of fun that someone else wants to have.

Anyway, if you or anyone else is interested, message me on the forums or on Steam and we'll get something set up.

I don't think it's anything to do with Nintendo not knowing how to introduce people to new games, it's more that people expect all games to be the same. It's a problem with much of AAA gaming becoming relatively homogenous, all offering the same things in pretty much the same way. Once someone does something, everyone else has to do it too.

That, plus Nintendo does as Nintendo wants. They don't seem to care about copying other people, they just do what they think makes enjoyable games.

Is you friend enjoy any indie games? If she does, I don't see why she would have a problem with Zelda. I'd guess she only plays the big stuff, because indies and Nintendo have a lot in common at the moment.

You'd be getting a tutorial for Crusader Kings 2, with live questions and feedback, from a professionally trained medieval historian! If that's not worth something, my chosen career is definitely doomed.

Really, though, I wouldn't be concerned about catching anyone's playstyle. As much of a granular engine for narrative as it is, mastery of CK2 isn't that individualized and the few things that are (preferred capitals, spouses, educations) are strongly and obviously down to taste. Moreover, as someone who knows about actual history (and whose love of it has occasionally estranged him from CK2), I'd hope that I'd have enough perspective to give advice for whatever kind of fun that someone else wants to have.

Anyway, if you or anyone else is interested, message me on the forums or on Steam and we'll get something set up.

I didn't say it was rational, just that I felt that way! You're about the first person I'd think of to do a live CK2 tutorial.

At one point I would have also probably said I'm a historian, but now I do ~*<3Logistics<3*~

At one point I would have also probably said I'm a historian, but now I do ~*<3Logistics<3*~

Hey, I love my chosen field, but I'm only a historian until someone offers me more money to do something else!

I feel like it's honestly more weird now that we expect voice acting. Getting people who actually know what they are doing seems more expensive than some studios can afford and it risks ruining dialogue someone might have spent a lot of time writing well.

I just had a thought about this earlier. I started a game of Dragon Age: Inquisition and it occurred to me that, since voice acting has become almost ubiquitous in RPGs (even MMOs, what the hey???), naming your character is a completely pointless act. It's kind of sad that no other character will ever utter your character's name, even if they become friendly or intimate with you. You're always just a title or a pre-defined surname to them, which just seems formal and kind of distant...

I also had another thought, which is: why do Bioware characters still look so fucking awkward.

I don't think it's anything to do with Nintendo not knowing how to introduce people to new games, it's more that people expect all games to be the same. It's a problem with much of AAA gaming becoming relatively homogenous, all offering the same things in pretty much the same way. Once someone does something, everyone else has to do it too.

That, plus Nintendo does as Nintendo wants. They don't seem to care about copying other people, they just do what they think makes enjoyable games.

Is you friend enjoy any indie games? If she does, I don't see why she would have a problem with Zelda. I'd guess she only plays the big stuff, because indies and Nintendo have a lot in common at the moment.

She doesn't play a whole lot of games. I think she briefly mentioned she played Skyrim and enjoyed that, so I guess she thought maybe Zelda would be along the same vein.

Wrestling video games are historically awful, but this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a Create A Character system.

12191443_2334033590565_60297021768161596

The fact that we live in a world where I can put my own tattoo in a video game is mind-boggling. Middle School Me would have had his brains fried.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Justin & Griffin McElroy used WWE for Monster Factory and the Pebble is maybe my favorite creation, although it is nearly impossible to choose.

Did Steam change the drop times for cards again?  After the added returns, the put in a 2 hour delay to drops to stop people from buying games, getting cards, refunding the game.  But I bought Westerado when it was on sale this week, played some the other night and had all the cards drop within the first hour of play.