tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

I think I might be in love with Dirty Bomb.

I'd be interested to hear why :)

I played a couple of levels of the beta but it didn't click with me.

I'd be interested to hear why :)

I played a couple of levels of the beta but it didn't click with me.

Well for starters I was introduced to it through friends in closed beta and while it wasn't something I spent lots of time with I was kind of prepped to enjoy it more as the beta opened.

I think a large amount of the reason is that it relies so heavily on tracking aim which is something I've developed through playing NS2. In DB players have more health and also move faster than other realistic gun style fps like say CSGO so being able to follow their strafe and maintain a consistent aim is a lot more valuable than say keeping your xhair at head height and waiting for that clutch head shot (which is still a rewarded skill since headshots crit).

Movement is also similar to NS although I think I prefer NS' more since DB's movement range kind of fell short of my hopes (I wish the parkour let you have the kind of range you can get in TF2 than a [still valuable set of trick jumps]).

There's also a few similarities to TF2 as a class based shooter with a higher than average movement range and TF2 is a game I used to enjoy a lot while part of me wondered what it'd be like to have a couple of regular conventional weapons.

Finally well with the Oceanic casual and competitive Natural Selection 2 community reduced to a single 18 slot server with no support for higher skilled scrims or leagues (we just wrapped up our fourth and likely final season) it's nice to be playing a game that rewards the skillset I'm most invested in (and I find the most enjoyment in) with people/friends (we were a tight knit bunch) I've come to know well. I've never really had the patience for Counter Strike or the consistency to enjoy it and I tend to focus on one shooter at a time.

Plus after spending so much time invested in multiplayer fps to not have one just feels off. It's also hurt my enjoyment of regular single player fps although that might change with a quasi old school resurrection that games like Doom could bring.

World of Warships is pretty cool. It's a good stop-gap until War Thunder comes out with their ships expansion later in the year.

Well for starters I was introduced to it through friends in closed beta and while it wasn't something I spent lots of time with I was kind of prepped to enjoy it more as the beta opened.

I think a large amount of the reason is that it relies so heavily on tracking aim which is something I've developed through playing NS2. In DB players have more health and also move faster than other realistic gun style fps like say CSGO so being able to follow their strafe and maintain a consistent aim is a lot more valuable than say keeping your xhair at head height and waiting for that clutch head shot (which is still a rewarded skill since headshots crit).

Movement is also similar to NS although I think I prefer NS' more since DB's movement range kind of fell short of my hopes (I wish the parkour let you have the kind of range you can get in TF2 than a [still valuable set of trick jumps]).

There's also a few similarities to TF2 as a class based shooter with a higher than average movement range and TF2 is a game I used to enjoy a lot while part of me wondered what it'd be like to have a couple of regular conventional weapons.

Finally well with the Oceanic casual and competitive Natural Selection 2 community reduced to a single 18 slot server with no support for higher skilled scrims or leagues (we just wrapped up our fourth and likely final season) it's nice to be playing a game that rewards the skillset I'm most invested in (and I find the most enjoyment in) with people/friends (we were a tight knit bunch) I've come to know well. I've never really had the patience for Counter Strike or the consistency to enjoy it and I tend to focus on one shooter at a time.

Plus after spending so much time invested in multiplayer fps to not have one just feels off. It's also hurt my enjoyment of regular single player fps although that might change with a quasi old school resurrection that games like Doom could bring.

Thanks for the response. I've not played Natural Selection but I think I follow you. One thing I do like is the health, I never got on with CS and similar games, I like to have a moment to think about how I'm gonna react to a situation. So maybe I'll give Dirty Bomb another shot at some point, I think one crucial point is that you are playing with friends and I wasn't. I don't remember there being much in the way of teamwork but it always helps to have people you know in the match regardless.

So lately I've discovered the MUDD Avalon after my boyfriend decided to get back into it. Playing in a completely player driven game is still super weird. At least in EVE major positions of civil authority were NPC based. In Avalon the Gods and Princes of cities are all people who have completed great acts and if you're paying attention you can see the different Deities and people of importance insulting and challenging each other for their own byzantine machinations. I'm currently going through 'school' being introduced to different aspects of the game with the plan on becoming a Mystic later. Most of the classes involve combat skills to a large degree but if that's not your bag you can become a Druid living in the forests. They aren't pushovers though because if people do threaten the forests they'll quickly find the trees rising against them.

Mystics are oracles and seers who can observe events from afar using 'bugged' runestones. They can also curse or bless things which is a major help in preventing say theft from occurring. I'm currently set to join one of the four major cities (you can be stateless) and my city is the paragon of Justice and Good and that city is gearing up for a big war with the city of evil (who would have thought?). Anyway I'm finding it pretty interesting to play in this style of game. I'm still finding my feet in terms of role playing but its neat. Also since these games encourage the use of self written scripts to streamline play I'll have a bunch of small pet projects to do which compliment my IRL studies rather nicely.

Thanks for the response. I've not played Natural Selection but I think I follow you. One thing I do like is the health, I never got on with CS and similar games, I like to have a moment to think about how I'm gonna react to a situation. So maybe I'll give Dirty Bomb another shot at some point, I think one crucial point is that you are playing with friends and I wasn't. I don't remember there being much in the way of teamwork but it always helps to have people you know in the match regardless.

Yeah fair enough. Knowing that I have friends in servers even if I'm not currently playing with them can be all the difference in motivating me to load that game.

Be warned, I thought a MUD would be a cool thing to practice scripting during my first year in uni and it (along with IRC) ended up eating most of my time & cost me a bunch of grades/subjects

I'll keep an eye out for that pitfall. I've been hurt by problematic behaviours before in tertiary study once or twice and I'm currently wary of scoring a hat-trick. At least this time I'm not living in a student town with a binge drinking culture and not much else to do..

So I've been playing a bit of Alphabear, which is a fun little word game from Spry Fox, the fellas that did Triple Town.

Whilst it's cute and fun, the most amusing/terrifying thing is the madlibs that's created from the words you've made in the puzzles. And boy does it get dark:

CJ_4hCJWoAEh5x8.jpg

I've been mostly enjoying Alphabear, I much prefer the non-timed levels, just making a word longer than three letters is enough of a challenge for me :)

Unfortunately it quite regularly checks that the phone clock matches the internet so that you're not trying to get around the free to play timers and finds some discrepancy and closes itself. Which means it complains if you're not connected to the net too, plus occasionally it just says sorry something went wrong and dies anyway, so I dunno if I'll stick with it. Also it murders my battery.

Agreed. But the super large board is a lot harder for me to generate long words. it's stupid, but the huge amount of possibilities kinda blows my brain a bit when looking at that grid. That and I end up with loads of vowels way too quickly. 

That madlib is hilarious SBM

I always feel like my problem is trying to get the strategy of how I should do it rather than word finding. In a way, long words screw you over by opening too much of the board and making you leave letters to time out, reducing the potential for bear growth. I'm also surprised how often I'll have 3 seemingly uncombinable letters left and it turns out that the game says they're a fine word.

Also yes, it's my favourite and I literally just got it today. You chose a good time to post about AB.

I somehow ended up watching one of the mission briefings from the game Ground Control on youtube today and had the sudden realisation that the main character is voiced by Jennifer Hale. Looked it up and sure enough, she is. It blew my mind a little, because it's an old game (from 2000) but one of the things that I remember most about it is actually the main character, which is rare for an RTS. Hale is awesome, basically. The game is pretty great too, and free (on fileplanet of all places).

Don't really know where to post this but I'm so excited about the news that Maddy Myers is going to start working at The Mary Sue doing non-game-specific coverage and Jenn Frank is coming back to regular games coverage by taking Maddy's old job at Paste Games. Finally, journo hiring news that doesn't piss me off! Hooray!

Don't really know where to post this but I'm so excited about the news that Maddy Myers is going to start working at The Mary Sue doing non-game-specific coverage and Jenn Frank is coming back to regular games coverage by taking Maddy's old job at Paste Games. Finally, journo hiring news that doesn't piss me off! Hooray!

I'm happy Jenn is coming back! She was chased out for ridiculous reasons and I'm glad she feels safe enough to write again.

Make%20A%20Flicking%20Game.png

We are having a 2-hour FlickGame jam over at Glorious Trainwrecks tonight. I wanted to mention it here rather than in the game-dev section because this tool is so easy to use that those who don't have time or the skill to make games might want to consider giving this  a try. It's basically a browser-based point&click engine that provides you with a downloadable html file and a link with which to share your game. All you do is paint, assign one of 16 pages to a color (for each page), and then when a user clicks on that color it will take them to the corresponding page. When finished click on "share" and it gives you a link to give out. Here is an example game: Exploring a Deserted Planet Or Something by FirecatFG

The jam starts in an hour, but it's very casual. People just want other folks (especially beginners) to submit something they had a good time making so we can get to know each other and have fun. So if you are early or late, feel free to still submit.

If anyone has any trouble with FlickGame, I'll check this thread tonight or you can contact me as @cafefiction on Twitter.

FlickGame

-------------------

Edit: It was really fun. I really like the resulting games too.

I was surprised this even took 2 hours but it did.

Room Painting Simulator 2015

That was fun. You created a lot of agency and I owned every psuedo fail-state. 

During the jam, someone informed me that you can copy a frame by pressing 'c' and then paste it on a new frame by pressing 'v'. I was like "RU Serious?". I kinda like how your room wiggles a bit though. 

Here is mine: http://www.flickgame.org/play.html?p=00fd9bccf2c3f14779e1

I was trying to stay close to the theme which was this picture:

Hot-Plate-Reflow-1.jpg

Is FlickGame Hyper Card? :o

I think it's more of a bastard-child of Hypercard and MSpaint. The functionality is much more limited. No text, for example.

That was fun. You created a lot of agency and I owned every psuedo fail-state. 

During the jam, someone informed me that you can copy a frame by pressing 'c' and then paste it on a new frame by pressing 'v'. I was like "RU Serious?". I kinda like how your room wiggles a bit though. 

Here is mine: http://www.flickgame.org/play.html?p=00fd9bccf2c3f14779e1

I was trying to stay close to the theme which was this picture:

Hot-Plate-Reflow-1.jpg

I didn't see the prompt! Oh well.

I have no idea how you can make art look that good in Flickchart. Do you have a digital drawing tablet or just a super accurate mouse?

Or perhaps you didn't take Lithium for a decade and do neurological damage to your fine motor skills.

I did use a drawing pad at first, but it has a delay in FlickGame so I actually prefer the mouse. The trick is to work broadly with a big brush and then shave you rough lines with a smaller brush of the bordering color. Small strokes are best because if you press 'z' you can undo the last few strokes. I have one hand on the mouse and the other on 'z' and I just keep making strokes and inmediately erasing them until I get what I want.

I have no idea what I'm doing when I play The World Ends With You. The combat is pretty much a mixture of button mashing and swiping my stylus around randomly. For some reason I get A ranks a lot. It feels like I'm playing a fighting game, where I just hit everything and hope that I win. 

I got over 99% in that game and still didn't quite figure out how the combat worked but had a bit of an idea.