tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Ninja Theory announced a new game.  Historically I'm a pretty big fan of Ninja Theory, but I've got kind of a middling reaction to this.  Where does a story like this go?  It's not like you can pretend fight your way out of mental illness with sweet moves in your imagination.  Will the mental illness part just be window dressing for, "there was actually an ancient evil at work the whole time!"?  The idea of exploring mental illness outside of a modern context is certainly compelling, since that is a thing writers very, very rarely explore.  The whole thing is just really freaking weird. 

[Hellblade} tells the story of Celtic Warrior Senua and her journey into Hell. The Hell in question is no ordinary Hell, but is in fact a Hell that is the manifestation of Senua's mental illness. Senua experiences psychosis, including hallucinations and delusions, as well as suffering from anxiety and depression.

They announced that last year, although this pretty much confirms it is not actually a Heavenly Sword sequel like I was hoping. Seems incredibly generic for the studio, although they did make that Fightback iOS trash.

Didn't realize it had already been announced.  And yeah, typically their games have really dripped with style, which this doesn't feel that way at all.  I'm not going to write it off, given how much I've enjoyed their previous work, but I can't say that I'm particularly interested at this point.

The person who decided this was a game about mental illness was not the same person who decided it was named "HELLBLADE".

I'm going to guess it was Ninja Theory who came up with the theme based on every game Ninja Theory has worked on, and the publisher is the one who came up with the name based on every game Ninja Theory has worked on.

I'm going to guess it was Ninja Theory who came up with the Ninja Theory based on every Ninja Theory Ninja Theory has worked on, and the Ninja Theory is the Ninja Theory who came up with the Ninja Theory based on every Ninja Theory Ninja Theory has worked on.

I'm going to guess it was Ninja Theory who came up with the theme based on every game Ninja Theory has worked on, and the publisher is the one who came up with the name based on every game Ninja Theory has worked on.

Ninja Theory is self-publishing Hellblade, so.......

Also, apparently more work has gone into the overall theme and setting than I gave them credit for (hopefully).

Developing Hellblade independently gives us the freedom to tackle a subject as challenging as mental health. It is a subject that we are handling with all the respect it deserves, ensuring that our portrayal of Senua’s condition is both accurate and sensitive.

To help us with this we are working closely with Professor Paul Fletcher, a professor of Health Neuroscience at the University of Cambridge, as well as arranging to consult directly with people who have experience of mental health difficulties. We are also very proud to say that Hellblade is being supported by Wellcome Trust, which is a global charitable foundation which aims to build a greater public understanding of science and in particular health.

For a solid five minutes there, I confused Ninja Theory and Team Ninja (the team behind Dead or Alive and Other M). Since misery loves company, I invite you all to share my mental image of what kind of Hellblade Team Ninja would make.

I'm going to guess it was Ninja Theory who came up with the Ninja Theory based on every Ninja Theory Ninja Theory has worked on, and the Ninja Theory is the Ninja Theory who came up with the Ninja Theory based on every Ninja Theory Ninja Theory has worked on.

I'm so pleased with this

We are also very proud to say that Hellblade is being supported by Wellcome Trust, which is a global charitable foundation which aims to build a greater public understanding of science and in particular tits.

How many Ninja Theory characters in Ninja Theory's Hellblade will be played by Ninja Theory's Andy Serkis?

For a solid five minutes there, I confused Ninja Theory and Team Ninja (the team behind Dead or Alive and Other M). Since misery loves company, I invite you all to share my mental image of what kind of Hellblade Team Ninja would make.

I assumed it was the developer that made Mark of the Ninja.

I assumed it was the developer that made Mark of the Ninja.

Mark of the Ninja's lead designer and programmer was Nels Anderson... who now works at Campo Santo...which is making Firewatch...

Hellblade is really Firewatch 2.  My logic is infallible.

Mark of the Ninja's lead designer and programmer was Nels Anderson... who now works at Campo Santo...which is making Firewatch...

Hellblade is really Firewatch 2.  My logic is infallible.

A strange premise, the sequel to a game that starts with F? Hellblade is Frog Fractions 2.

I think Frog Fractions 2 is the new "Half Life 3 confirmed" joke and I like it.

Oh god, what if Frog Fractions 2 is Half Life 3?

This video of Nick Arcade was gone for years but I realize it returned in 2013. This whole show cracks me up so much.

Is this the right thread for this?!

I was recording some Battlefield3 with Open Broadcast Software and I had changed the audio to .mp3

When I went to play it in VLC, Windows Movie Maker, or Magix Movie Edit, there is no audio. Usually I use the AAC(?) setting.

Does anyone know of software that can play a .mp4 recording from OBS when the audio is encoded as an .mp3? i ended up making a good video and I'm trying to rescue it from codec limbo.

Maybe you can retranscode it using Handbrake or something?

It totally worked, first try. I didn't even have to do anything complicated. Thanks.