tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

I've taken holiday leave that just happened to collide with the launch date of Dark Souls 2, but never called in sick. It was a happy coincidence. 

What I hate than just how it  perpetuates the myth that 'gamers' take sick leave off to play games, is that the selection of games that you can choose from is the fucking worst. Fifa? Assassin's Creed? CoD? What the hell, it just shows that there's no good noticeable exclusive title on there.

I've never taken off of work with the express intention of playing video games.  I have skipped class though.

I can't remember if I've skipped class due to a game release, but I probably have.

Eh, I know people who have called in sick to golf, because they were out late for an amazing concert, to go to an afternoon baseball game, etc. I don't see it as perpetuating any kind of a myth specifically about gamers.

The form is horribly hilarious though. You can write a note canceling "a date" because you "have a case of worts" (I'm assuming warthog in halo?). I'm just kind of speechless at that one.

I took a week off school to play Turtles in Time, which I completed probably twice a day, every day. Would do it again.

I believe I took a week off of work to play one of the new Halos, but it was all pre-planned, not sick days.

I'd never take a sick day because of some self-cause malady. I don't care how hung over or tired I am, I will crawl to work if I have to.

When Half-Life 2 came out I remember playing only until just after you meet Barney and you're about to go out on the roof tops. I had school the next day and I knew that to continue would mean that there was no going back

When I was a kid I took a day off school to play Halo 2. Other than that, no, I never take time off work to play a game. 

Never did the took of day due game, simple because I really dislike missing/skipping something, so much that unless I am really sick (in which case, it would be very unlikely for me begin able to do play something) I might force myself do go or do what is, otherwise, I don´t really relax enough to enjoy it.

Does anyone on these forums play Guild Wars 2? If so, do you have any suggestions for a guild to join? My wife and I formed a guild when we first started playing for our friends, but most of them have dropped off the radar and we'd like to join one that potentially has some Thumbs or at least a good community.

Does anyone on these forums play Guild Wars 2? If so, do you have any suggestions for a guild to join? My wife and I formed a guild when we first started playing for our friends, but most of them have dropped off the radar and we'd like to join one that potentially has some Thumbs or at least a good community.

I still do, but I think my guild may have decided to implode, in literally the worst possible moment (given that there's a surge of players drawn by the expansion announcement and the big sale recently). I'll let you know if it's still stable. It's got a sizable Australian contingent and a lot of the players are on Sea of Sorrows, although that's not the impediment it used to be now that world choice is only really relevant for WvW and what map chat tends to look like.

Speaking of games that include the word Guild, the Guild 2 - Renaissance recently had a fairly major patch eight years after release. They do have a sequel in development that I'm sure this is related to, but it's pretty awesome to see Nordic Games put out a pretty serious bugfix and mod support patch for a generally ignored game they didn't even develop. It's still clunky and pretty tough on the eyes, but it's entirely unique as a sim/strategy game. Gives me hope that the new one actually has some love behind it, and that's felt rare for me recently.

I've tried to start in on that game a couple of times, but I get stymied after about 2 hours of playing.

Huh, it's a week of remastered editions.  I think I might actually be more inclined to play Fahrenheit first over Grim Fandango, since I've never played it.

They should totally remake Omikron.

I want to play a less-terrible version of that weird-ass game.

I am irrationally angry at the fact that htoL#NiQ is keeping its terrible name for its English release. It's barely legible even in Japanese, and The Firefly Diary is a way better title anyway.

Yo! Game Critic Heather Alexandra (@transgamerthink on the Tweeters, follow her!) has started doing critical LPs for games. Check out her first interlude and first part of her Shadow of Colossus critical LP.

Also check out her writing! It's real good!

(If there's another thread where one shares game critics' works, be sure to tell me!)

holy shit what is this game

I saw that this morning as well, and couldn't decide what the hell I thought of it.

holy shit what is this game

You may be interested in Bad Piggies and to a lesser extent Robocraft. They aren't nearly as detailed in physics and customization, but they are very accessible (you can build stuff fast) and the activity is pretty similar to what I imagine this game is.