tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

The way I wanted to do it was to make a big database of games, have new users pick at least a few to start with, then recommend reviewers rather than actual games.  Reviews wouldn't be scored, rather they would be a simple "yes I recommend this game" or "no I don't recommend it".  You could include a full review and talk about it in more depth if you so choose but I don't want things like "70% of users recommend this game".  Metrics like that aren't useful to me and already exist all over the place.

Basically I want subjective reviews.

Steam Curators is close to that, I suppose, but it can't automatically suggest things to you.

I really, really wish you could filter curators though.  I get tired of seeing TB's Top Hat on half the games I look at.  And it would be awesome if you could correlate between curators you follow.  Like have a report that spits out "10 of the curators you follow recommend this game." 

I mean... I said that Tales of the Borderlands was a dumb idea but I've heard some people saying they enjoyed it.

...but Minecraft doesn't even have characters! Is someone at Telltale just upping the ante on making more and more outlandish premises for their series?

"Telltale presents Tetris: the Harrowing Tale of a Soviet Tetrimino That Never Fit In"

"Telltale presents Tetris: the Harrowing Tale of a Soviet Tetrimino That Never Fit In"

Yeah, I'd play that.  Instead of conversation choices, you'd have to pick a new orientation to try and fit into the social dynamic that you currently find yourself in. 

Edited to add: Actually, on reflection, I might be more interested in this than any of their other current works.  I don't really care about a Game of Thrones adventure game.  Wolf Among Us was a let down to me.  The other established properties they are working with, I already have expectations for what those stories/characters will be.  A Minecraft adventure game might just be wacky/weird enough to get me re-interested in Telltale's style of game. 

If they pull from Corridor Digital's weirdo Minecraft fan videos for inspiration then I think they're going to a good cheesy place. I'm support into the idea. Here's hoping.

Yeah, I'd play that.  Instead of conversation choices, you'd have to pick a new orientation to try and fit into the social dynamic that you currently find yourself in. 

Plot twist:

It's an allegory about disguising your sexual orientation.

Along similar lines, I've always wanted to create a user driven game review website where reviewers also make a list of games they liked/didn't like and people can find other reviewers with similar or different taste to get recommendations from.  I think a general recommendation isn't useful if you don't know what kinds of things that reviewer likes.

I've thought this too, it's a great idea in theory but I wonder why it hasn't been done properly?

It's either much harder than it sounds, not as good as it sounds or not profitable enough for Valve to bother. It's hard to motivate yourself and hope it's just the last one...

I mean... I said that Tales of the Borderlands was a dumb idea but I've heard some people saying they enjoyed it.

...but Minecraft doesn't even have characters! Is someone at Telltale just upping the ante on making more and more outlandish premises for their series?

https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/545624418811383808

I don't know how to feel about this.

If they pull from Corridor Digital's weirdo Minecraft fan videos for inspiration then I think they're going to a good cheesy place. I'm support into the idea. Here's hoping.

I had the same thought, although I was thinking of Brandon Laatsch's (formerly the non-Asian half of the former FreddieW channel and close collaborator with Corridor Digital) defunct movie

I'm watching itch.io get better and noticing how I'm spending more and more time there. GameJolt is making improvements and the submission numbers from that PewDiePie jam seem to suggest a developer culture younger than I understand seems to be growing. I'm being surrounded on Twitter by Ludum Dare entries from people I follow.

I can't tell if 2015 is going to be significantly bigger and wide-spread for hobbyist games, if I'm just getting more into it, or if it's both. Making games is so cool. There's no money in it, but it is so awesome getting to know developers with similar tastes, playing their stuff, and making your own. Within a year, hobbyist games has become more significant for me than large commercial releases. It's what I think of now when someone says "games".

That actually may have been what I was thinking of (can't watch at the moment). They both do zany special effects videos and have both touched Minecraft quite a bit.

...So uh does anyone want to start playing Starbound semi-regularly? Because I'd be down for that. It's a Terraria-like!

EDIT: Actually I'd also be down for Terraria. But Starbound is newer and I haven't played it as much as its predecessor so.

I might be up for that.  I played Starbound for about 10 minutes then stopped because no one else I knew was playing it, even the original group of people I got the game from.

I've held off on buying Starbound, because I've read so few positive things about it.  Has it finally started to come together?  Everything I had read was that the promise existed, but the reality just wasn't very good. 

Well a new update is coming out or has come out soon, depending on your perspective/preference?

http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

It's going to the "unstable" branch for now, but will be on the "stable" branch come January. I don't know if you can jump from unstable to stable without losing characters, but it seems like a substantial update, and I know that in the normal flow of things they claim to have fixed the game so that character wipes will never happen again. And so...

LET'S PLAY??

(I'm totally willing to forego this unstable update for now, since I haven't played for ages and it seems like barely anyone else has played at all, so it's not like we need this udpate to get the best stuff - although SHIP UPGRADES DANG.)

I'm planning on booting up my Starbound server and leaving it on full-time once the big update in January comes out. Until then, I'm holding off.

Random thought:

I don't want to buy another 360, but I would pay £39.99 for a Windows 8/Xbox Live client or plugin that gave me access to my 360 Live library and let me play 360 games off disc on my PC. This should happen.

I'm planning on booting up my Starbound server and leaving it on full-time once the big update in January comes out. Until then, I'm holding off.

Well that'd be cool.

Well I broke down and preordered a Toon Link because my friend told me there was exclusive shit unlocked for Hyrule Warriors with Zelda figures.

I really hope there isn't more exclusive shit later, since I don't really want to deal with collecting rare figures (or even more than I have to) and these Amiibos simply aren't that cool.

There's going to be a lot. It's DLC that comes with a cool little figure, and it's already selling like hotcakes.

Man, I sure didn't notice when I replied in the wrong thread!