tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Dragon Quest IV has a section where you play as an item merchant. You stand in one spot while heroes come in and try and buy items from you.

World of Warcraft has a quest where you play as a quest-giver. You get your very own yellow ! and a bunch of NPCs come in and take your quest. You have to go and clean up after one of them when you inevitably get bored of that.

There's also Recettear, a whole game about running an item shop. There should be a thread about it in this forum.

[edit] added link to thread

I took a break after hatching about 1500-2000 or so Rotoms trying to get a shiny and decided to put a box of them up on Wonder Trade. I immediately got a shiny Carvanha with 5 perfect IVs (missing Special Attack) and its hidden ability.

Well then.

Does anyone else have trouble starting a video game that they feel will be really good? This might just be the insecure designer in me but sometimes I struggle diving into something I know will make me question my own work. This is a personal failing, but is it an unusual one?

I definitely get that.

I got another shiny throuhgh Wonder Trade (a Dragalge holding a Leftovers. Neat), so I added a new section to the chart.

YTRQW8K.png

Does anyone else have trouble starting a video game that they feel will be really good? This might just be the insecure designer in me but sometimes I struggle diving into something I know will make me question my own work. This is a personal failing, but is it an unusual one?

When it's a game I've really been looking forward to I often get stuck in this hole where I want to make sure I'll have plenty of time to savor it, which leads me to never actually starting it because I never feel like I have the time.

That being said, last weekend we had a big multiplayer bash where I got to buy like 6 party games and play them with a full compliment of people. It flipped some sort of switch inside me because I'm actually looking forward to playing games again, instead of just kinda doing it because I have such a backlog and I should really play some of those games I paid for. To that end, I finished up King's Bounty and XCOM: Enemy Within, and now have started Shadowrun:Dragonfall - Director's Cut the first day it was available on Steam.

So today I found this picture of a young Hideki Kamiya and now I understand everything.

vwcMSIq.jpg

You can't bind the mousewheel in Quake Live, so, not a great first impression. How long has this game been out? Embarassing.

In the console type bind mwheelup / bind mwheeldown or bind mouse3 for the click (I think).

Wages of Sin, the expansion pack to Sin, has a pretty fantastic crate joke.

Good shit.

THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY.

I'm not the most well-versed when it comes to modeling, so does the creator of that mod saying that, since he couldn't import anything Last of Us, he had to make Joel and Ellie from "a scratch" mean the same thing as saying he built them "from scratch"? Because, if so, this was insane at first glance but now my head is gone and there is a hole where my head was.

I'm not the most well-versed when it comes to modeling, so does the creator of that mod saying that, since he couldn't import anything Last of Us, he had to make Joel and Ellie from "a scratch" mean the same thing as saying he built them "from scratch"? Because, if so, this was insane at first glance but now my head is gone and there is a hole where my head was.

Yep! All from scratch!

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/2086/last-joel-ellie-models-props

Someone mentioned Kingdom of Loathing on Twitter which made me want to play again, so now I'm playing that again.

Has anybody played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter yet?

No, but I was watching someone play it on Twitch. All of a sudden

A small spherical space ship exploded out of the ground, he ported inside it, and started fucking zooming around this beautiful nebula.

I have no idea why, how it relates to anything. I immediately closed the stream, knowing I want to play it myself.

I was kind of babysitting today (had my ex-neighbors kid over for several hours) and we mostly played games (well, he played mostly). One thing made me completely change my mind about something -- I had assumed that mouse and keyboard are objectively the preferred way to control first person games, but perhaps it's not so. I noticed that while he had been struggling with mouse and keyboard in Minecraft a year ago he was still struggling with it somewhat, but when he changed to PS3 controller in Far Cry 3 he immediately became a lot better and was not having any trouble at all.