tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

I was playing Mega Man 2 this morning and for some reason I was finding the beginning of Bubbleman's stage to be strangely moving.  Something about the combination of the color palette and the slightly psychedelic waterfall effect with the beautiful music. It reminded me that video games can be profound even in their most traditional state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHjoXFAZlgw

(the poor frame rate of this video doesn't really do the waterfall justice but it's the best one I could find)

So Nintendo streamed the Pokémon National Championships on Twitch a few weeks back. It was well-intentioned but poorly-executed, which I'd still consider a step in the right direction. What made the whole experience really souring, to me, is that the returning champion Ray Rizzo is at one point seen blatantly cheating and Nintendo has yet to issue any sort of statement about it. Even if his claims that it was purely an aesthetic hack and that he had no knowledge of it are true, it's still a flagrant violation of the tourney rules.

Rizzo said in that article that the pokeball was/could have been inherited from that pokemon's parents? I don't know how plausable that is, but if he's traded his ditto across from black/white it could be? tbh my interest in pokemon is not on a level where I want to collect all the pokemans and train them up and breed the best pokemon, I just want to play it until the elite four. 

Rizzo said in that article that the pokeball was/could have been inherited from that pokemon's parents? I don't know how plausable that is, but if he's traded his ditto across from black/white it could be? tbh my interest in pokemon is not on a level where I want to collect all the pokemans and train them up and breed the best pokemon, I just want to play it until the elite four. 

Ditto don't pass their Poké Balls down, and only the mother's Poké Ball can be inherited. There was no legit way to get that Aegislash in that ball.

16fXZpj.png

I've gotten veeeerrrrry good at catching Shinies, apparently. Should I just make a thread for this? Because I think that my logical goal now that I've got every Pokémon is to get them all again, in their stupid pallet-swapped forms.

I IV trained and subsequently evolved it last night.

on5rq7i.png

Then this morning I caught this little lady, to be IV trained and evolved at a later date.

oghEM3H.png

Since then I've been absentmindedly trawling a Fairy-type Friend Safari for the entire day looking for a shiny Kirlia. It took like half an hour to get that Lampent! Geez!

In the meantime, here's a pair of nice ones I evolved a few days ago:

ZdEgYqC.pngvXFJlJO.png

PwLIIgi.jpg

Hey tegan, I might have asked you this before, but what's with all those shapes underneath the types?

Thanks everyone! 

So what have I got here?

You don't have Zombies which is absolutely rock hard but brilliant fun. I can't recommend it highly enough, played it to death as a kid, and have some of my fondest memories from co-oping (thought usually we'd end up fighting :P) with my sisters.

Hey tegan, I might have asked you this before, but what's with all those shapes underneath the types?

Star means it's shiny, a face next to the star means it's had Pokérus, a pentagon means it was caught in Kalos, and the other six (circle, triangle, square, heart, star, diamond) are markers you can check for organizational purposes. A lot of people use them to check off whether a Pokémon has perfect IVs in each of the six stats, but I usually don't use them.

Also, I caught a second shiny Jigglypuff. Still no Kirlia. The search continues.

Would anyone else be interested in having a thread where we play through 50 Short Games by thecatamites, one a week?

http://thecatamites.itch.io/50-short-games

The games only take 5 seconds to 5 minutes each and I'm pretty sure that the can all be downloaded for free if you want to do that instead of getting the convenient launcher and the documentation for 4 pounds.

Edit: I might be wrong about that, I only see a few on this page

http://harmonyzone.org/MiscGames.html

I'm playing through these games and I'm enjoying them in a much different way than I typically enjoy games. I think a casual club like this would be très enjoyable.

That sounds really fun, I'd be up for doing that, definitely.

Awesome. Looks like we have enough to tango. I'll make a thread for it in a bit.

Took a break from hunting Kirlia and got one of these:

35HSizn.png

Hot diggity.

...This is probably getting pretty annoying, huh?

Would anyone else be interested in having a thread where we play through 50 Short Games by thecatamites, one a week?

http://thecatamites.itch.io/50-short-games

The games only take 5 seconds to 5 minutes each and I'm pretty sure that the can all be downloaded for free if you want to do that instead of getting the convenient launcher and the documentation for 4 pounds.

Edit: I might be wrong about that, I only see a few on this page

http://harmonyzone.org/MiscGames.html

I'm playing through these games and I'm enjoying them in a much different way than I typically enjoy games. I think a casual club like this would be très enjoyable.

Ok, now that I'm not on a phone I can fully check out the games and their lovable weird style

Maybe we could do the free ones first for people who want to try it out and decide if they'll keep it on after the freebie weeks?

Ok, now that I'm not on a phone I can fully check out the games and their lovable weird style

Maybe we could do the free ones first for people who want to try it out and decide if they'll keep it on after the freebie weeks?

Upon further investigation, I think they are all on Glorious Trainwrecks for free.  I'd like to do them in the order presented in the 50-game package. What I'll do is post what game is next for people who haven't bought it and put a link to the individual download. If I can't find the individual download, we'll figure out what to do then.

This is an important video. Please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE watch this video. Especially if you are in the games industry in any way, and are white and male (which is like 90-95% of this community). 

And if you're instantly put off by the thumbnail, the title, or how this dude talks, you are part of the problem this guy is talking about and you REALLY need to watch it. 

Seriously, please watch this video. It's something I wish people talked about and people rarely do, and this guy not only does it well, but he does it by pouring his heart out and being down to earth. Genuine. 

So an hour or so ago I got a natural, non-Friend Safari shiny Gurdurr (and then evolved it into Conkeldurr), and then two different distribution events went up on /vp/ and I wound up with a second Japanese Diancie and a Japanese Ditto with perfect IVs. It has been a good night.

I think I'm officially down the rabbithole now.

I do miss the voice of N'Gai Croal. He said some insightful stuff.

Whatever happened to N'Gai Croal?  All I can find are vague references to him starting his own consulting company.

Cine, I'll give it a watch tomorrow.

Whatever happened to N'Gai Croal?  All I can find are vague references to him starting his own consulting company.

Cine, I'll give it a watch tomorrow.

He works for a consulting group called Hit Detection, with a few other former games journalists (Jeff Green, Robert Koffee(sp?)).

This is an important video. Please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE watch this video. Especially if you are in the games industry in any way, and are white and male (which is like 90-95% of this community). 

And if you're instantly put off by the thumbnail, the title, or how this dude talks, you are part of the problem this guy is talking about and you REALLY need to watch it. 

Seriously, please watch this video. It's something I wish people talked about and people rarely do, and this guy not only does it well, but he does it by pouring his heart out and being down to earth. Genuine. 

There was a neogaf thread a few days back along similar lines that he explicitly mentions (that's what I get for only skipping through before posting). It was pretty infuriating, but there was also some good pushback. Good video.