tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Noriega is suing Activision for a character clearly based on his likeness in COD: Black Ops 2 because it basically represented him as who Noriega was in real life. Pretty hilarious.

Gah, no Gold or Platinum this year and I had over 600 coins expire last month. I am guessing all of those rewards are download only anyway and they don't send you a physical disc? If that's the case, I'm not missing out.

I'd rather have them put something new in the damn store instead of rotating the small amount of virtual console games every month that you most likely already own anyway. Besides buying that Pikmin totebag for my wife, I haven't used my coins in over two years. How about some substantial physical goods? I remember when you used to be able to buy the Game and Watch Collection and Tingle's Balloon Fight in Japan, but nothing anymore.

I guess it's just complaining about a service that doesn't actually have to exist, but I fill out all of those tedious surveys damn it!

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't bother to care about Club Nintendo this year. Having to fill out those surveys isn't worth the cost of a virtual console game. I at least want some tangible piece of crap that will take up space in my apartment.

I'm annoyed because I've let coins expire multiple years in a row because I don't give a shit about their random doodads. But I'd like some of these games for free. Bleh.

I got DKCR3D. I probably shouldn't have, because it turns out I still hate Donkey Kong!

People have talked up Divinity Original Sin a lot, so I was thinking about getting it when I have a bit more time and money, then people said it was a good price too, only $40! That's pretty sweet, only like €30 ish? I wasn't sure, so I went to check steam and gog.com.

Nope, it's €40.

Damn regional pricing. Just cause I live in Western Europe doesn't mean I have money. Most of my gaming money comes from being commissioned by Americans in dollars anyway...

Holy crap, Donkey Kong Country Returns is terrible. Like, both as a game on its own and as a port (I can't decide if my favourite exciting new feature is either the sound being at about half the volume of every other 3DS game, or d-pad/circle pad being a menu toggle rather than just responding to whichever input I'm actually pushing like every other game that lets you choose a d-pad or analog input). The whole thing is a floaty, frictionless mess with too many fucking collectibles.

Really wish I'd gotten Game & Wario or something instead.

I think it's pretty good!

Kong inbred family aside.

Game and Wario is good. I'm thinking about getting DKCR3D anyway, as I honestly really liked the Wii version and it's the only thing on the list I don't already have (wonder how I got platinum...).

Wait, looking at the list, I suppose I could also get Dr. Luigi or Fluidity. Are either of those any good? I beat DKCR on Wii already, so replaying it is not really necessary, it just seemed like the best thing I could get on there that I'd care about.

This is probably the right place to put this:

I have a month of free time (i.e. sans partner) to smash out some games. I had a terrible idea of buying a bunch of VC NES/SNES games for my WiiU and ploughing through classics I missed - I was too young for the NES and my parents wouldn't let me have a SNES. Within the limit of WiiU (and maybe 3ds) VC titles, what classics should I pick up and play ASAP?

I have played only Mario Kart for the SNES at a friend's house, and I'm looking for single player games. Pretty much set on picking up Super Metroid and A Link to The Past, but what else did I miss and need to play?

I haven't actually played it before, but i wonder if Retro Game Challenge would do a better job of providing this type of service than playing Super Mario World and Tetris.

This is probably the right place to put this:

I have a month of free time (i.e. sans partner) to smash out some games. I had a terrible idea of buying a bunch of VC NES/SNES games for my WiiU and ploughing through classics I missed - I was too young for the NES and my parents wouldn't let me have a SNES. Within the limit of WiiU (and maybe 3ds) VC titles, what classics should I pick up and play ASAP?

I have played only Mario Kart for the SNES at a friend's house, and I'm looking for single player games. Pretty much set on picking up Super Metroid and A Link to The Past, but what else did I miss and need to play?

Earthbound, Mega Man X and Super Mario World are the SNES games I have on the WiiU (as well as Super Metroid, but you've already mentioned that). Also I know this doesn't quite fit the bill, but if you haven't experienced Advance Wars on the GBA you should pick that up.

The NES remixes do a good job of showcasing NES games, and they're on sale now. I think.

Jeremy Parish, resident retro games expert at USGamer (I made up that title but it's undeniably true), put together this nice list of essential 3DS VC games - http://www.usgamer.net/articles/15-must-have-games-for-3ds-virtual-console

In addition to Super Metroid and LTTP as you mentioned, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Warioware, and Mega Man X are all solid Wii U VC games off the top of my head. Probably any of the later Castlevania games or early Mega Man games (1-3) are worth trying out too.

Is ActRaiser on the VC?  That's a great game to check out, surprisingly ambitious for a game (especially a console game) back then.  You alternate between 2D platforming and a SimCity like city building game. 

Edited to add: Oh, and Uncharted Waters 2!  Tanukitsune recently posted about it over in the completed games thread.  I only got to play it briefly as a kid and I always wanted to play more. 

Oh yeah, ActRaiser is super fun but I think it's only on Wii VC. I was stumbling through old SNES ROMs with my wife (then girlfriend) one night a long time ago and that sure was an unexpected gem, particularly since I only heard its name once or twice before.

I wonder if Rygar would be fun to play. When I was a kid, it seemed so much more epic than most other games just in its presentation.

I don't know if you're looking for Game Boy VC releases, but Link's Awakening will always be my favorite Zelda game, probably because it was my first. If you enjoy Link's Awakening and don't mind a smaller color palette, it's one of the more unique Zelda games since it doesn't follow the "find the Triforce pieces, kill Ganon" structure at all.

Earthbound! Earthbound Earthbound Earthbound!

Also, Super Metroid and Mega Man 2.

Earthbound is not for everyone, but it is well worth finding out if it is for you.

Thanks everyone! 

So what have I got here?

Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Earthbound, Megaman X and Megaman 2, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, Mario 3 and Super Mario World (for shame). That sounds like plenty!

As for the GBA games: I played a shit ton of GBA, the only one they have on VC I want is The Minnish Cap.

So Nintendo streamed the Pokémon National Championships on Twitch a few weeks back. It was well-intentioned but poorly-executed, which I'd still consider a step in the right direction. What made the whole experience really souring, to me, is that the returning champion Ray Rizzo is at one point seen blatantly cheating and Nintendo has yet to issue any sort of statement about it. Even if his claims that it was purely an aesthetic hack and that he had no knowledge of it are true, it's still a flagrant violation of the tourney rules.