tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

The d-pad I view in a similar way to the creation of the controller analog stick.  It's an element born out of necessity and designed to be functionally useful.  The rumble pak served no real purpose besides increasing immersion in a way that I to this day still find strange.  Even now the force feedback that's in every controller hardly ever has an actual, practical purpose (and I don't count those "massage games").  To me it's pretty much a gimmick that became a standard feature.

Aren't they both owned by the same company now?

Well I looked it up before posting.

Dead Island 1 was published by Deep Silver, I think (and also owned). Developed by Techland, who is now developing Dying Light, which is a serious take on the first-person zombie brawler, but with parkour. Dead Island 2 is developed by someone else, but still published by Deep Silver. But Yager Development is not owned by Deep Silver like Volition is.

SO I GUESS IN SOME WAY IT ALL MAKES SOME SENSE?

Also: no bikini-clad dismembered and beheaded torso this time? How strange!

Aren't they both owned by the same company now?

Well I looked it up before posting.

Dead Island 1 was published by Deep Silver, I think (and also owned). Developed by Techland, who is now developing Dying Light, which is a serious take on the first-person zombie brawler, but with parkour. Dead Island 2 is developed by someone else, but still published by Deep Silver. But Yager Development is not owned by Deep Silver like Volition is.

SO I GUESS IN SOME WAY IT ALL MAKES SOME SENSE?

Also: no bikini-clad dismembered and beheaded torso this time? How strange!

It's only available in specific regions, North Korea and the Antarctic I think.

I encountered my first shiny in more than a decade of playing Pokémon and ran away by mistake. There is no emoticon for my level of torment.

No it's not. Also, Saints Row does not need a spiritual successor. Company is welcome though.

I encountered my first shiny in more than a decade of playing Pokémon and ran away by mistake. There is no emoticon for my level of torment.

UPDATE: I found a second one and caught it! OuO

Shiny Remoraid!

(I'm also using the Shiny Charm that you get for completing the Pokédex, incidentally)

I have seven shinies now, and I spent most of my evening fishing in one spot waiting for a shiny Carvanha.

This is what I do now. I am Captain Ahab. I am singularly obsessed with going fishing for unusually-coloured pocket monsters.

(sadly the two whale Pokémon's shiny colours are purple and not white)

I'm playing XCOM: THE BUREAU: MASS EFFECT EDITION and liking it more and more the deeper I get into it.  The story is ridiculous, but the combat is good and it's fun watching just how much of a trainwreck the plot can become.

This is really unexpected. 

I'm playing XCOM: THE BUREAU: MASS EFFECT EDITION and liking it more and more the deeper I get into it.  The story is ridiculous, but the combat is good and it's fun watching just how much of a trainwreck the plot can become.

This is really unexpected. 

Really? I think the combat is getting worse the deeper I get into it. I'm mostly reviving the idiot AI.

Really? I think the combat is getting worse the deeper I get into it. I'm mostly reviving the idiot AI.

Yeah, I've gone through some sections like that.  It was bad when I was running a sniper + engineer.  But then I switched to commando + sniper and got them up to rank 3 and took Grenade capacity on my Shepard Agent Drunk Angry White Guy (codename Agent DAWG (yo DAWG, I heard you like grenades, so I put grenades in yo grenades)).  I also recruited a new sniper and commando to change their rank 1 passive skill to better fit their roles.  Taunt, Lift and Critical Strike to start an encounter gets 2 threats dead, and one immobilized for a bit.  Then when we hit a big enemy, DAWG's got 6 grenades to chuck at it to soften it up.  I haven't even tried a support yet, which is pretty much how I viewed supports in Enemy Unknown as well. 

I got my PS4 yesterday and thanks to cross-gen upgrades and PS+, I had like 12 games in my download list from the first second of owning it. Also, that interface is so fast ughhhh

This generation is pretty cool, if you allow yourself not to think about ridiculously slow download times.

I haven't heard or seen a YO DAWG joke in forever. Bjorn is my hero. <3

I haven't heard or seen a YO DAWG joke in forever. Bjorn is my hero. <3

I made another one in the Bureau thread, just for you. <3

I'm not a game-jammer, but as I'm looking through articles about apps that Apple has rejected I begin to think that an interesting game-jam would be to create an app that will be rejected for objectionable content. Scoring could would be done like this:

Round 1

If your app does not get rejected by Apple for objectionable content during the submission process to the app-store, you are disqualified.

Round 2

Every member of every team who submits an app to the app-store gets one vote regardless of whether or not their app is rejected.

Those apps who are rejected for objectionable content are then voted on based on which app has the least objectionable content (according to those who vote).

A winner is then declared.

Oh man, this year's Club Nintendo Platinum/Gold rewards are games rather than physical goods. I have no idea which one I want. Probably Donkey Kong?

IeHOGLl.png

Ooh, thanks for the reminder! I hit Gold, and since I don't have a Wii U, I'm going for Wario Land 2.