tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

I'm kind of envious of this group of gamers that accept the energy-system and minimal gameplay. I want to know how it feels for them to play the Kim Kardashian app. In one if the reviews I read, person said that they've been waiting five years for a Kim Kardashian app and that interacting with her in a digital world is a dream come true. I wonder what it would take for me to have that experience. If Vieuphoria had been released as an app where I could throw a frisbee for James' dog, go with Jimmy to his dealer's house, have a tea-party with D'arcy's dolls, arrange Billy's pedals, and do the lights for a couple of shows; I would have been all over that in 1998.

The group of people I'm envious of are the people who can play one game over and over and over for hundreds of hours. I need variety in my life, but variety is costly. Also just the fact that these people know everything there is to know about this one thing is really cool.

Even at its height, the Shadowrun FPS community was small; you would see the same people in matches frequently. There was an ideological schism (that was exascerbated once everyone realized that the game would receive no more support) between people who used glitches and people who did not. This happens in other multiplayer games, but I think that Shadowrun's hacker/magic theme, and the commonality of things like Havok's spasming rag-dolls clipping into walls, almost gave some argument that glitches were part of the game.

I never even bothered to explore the glitches because I didn't want to be a cheater. Those who did explore them were known because the spectate mode that you enter in death would bring it to everyone's attention.

One time I was playing and I died early on. I watched a match between two glitchers and it was fucking crazy. They were using gliders and teleports to go outside of the maps (I think they were hiding on the non-normal sides of meshes?) and then having this crazy sniper stand-off that would turn into running around the maps with katanas when one of them was discovered. In a way, I feel like I never played the actual game.

The group of people I'm envious of are the people who can play one game over and over and over for hundreds of hours. I need variety in my life, but variety is costly. Also just the fact that these people know everything there is to know about this one thing is really cool.

I tend to play games like that.  When I get a new game, I either touch it once and never come back, or play nothing but it and put in a ton of time until I burn out on it then never come back.  So far TF2 has been the only exception because it gets lots of updates and the core gameplay is still damn fun.  Spelunky also to a lesser degree because I only do the daily challenge.

I wish I could do that. I tend to be playing 2-3 games at a time, each that fits a different mood. Right now SM3d world fits my, I'm happy I wanna play something fun (but also frustrating - the last levels are damn hard). Xcom too, which fits my I'm watching crappy TV and want something to engage me while this boring show is on. 

I go back to games a lot though. I must have 100+ hours on Xcom, but I've never finished it. I just get the urge to stop once I've completed something, and want to have something new to refresh me. It's just expensive! Although when I find a game I do put 100+ hours into, I have no qualms in saying it's one of my favourite games ever.

I started playing Dishonored and I noticed there were quite a lot of books and journals lying around. I don't mind reading, but some of them were 10-20 paragraphs long. With several of them in the same room it's a pacing issue, I don't want to take a five minute reading break. So I wonder, do you guys stop to read those things? I know in Deus Ex I used to read most datapads, but I remember them mostly being briefer notes.

I read a book every once in a while in Elder Scrolls games. Sometimes it puts me further into the world, not necessarily because of the subject matter; reading in game makes me feel more patient. So then I put the book down and notice a new detail of the game because I'm no longer in a hurry to get anywhere or kill something.

On a related note, one time I decided to call a number that was on a store sign while sitting at a stop-light in GTA 5. It had a similar effect.

I don't even like books that expect to read paragraphs extolling lore. Make it naturally woven in or make it totally optional because I'm not going out of my way for it. (or make it optionally woven in, like Bioshock Infinite's audio reels).

There's a Vita game coming out called "htoL#NiQ." I think Japan has finally reached the endgame of the "how stupid can we make our title" arms race that all those Kingdom Hearts spinoffs started.

There's a Vita game coming out called "htoL#NiQ." I think Japan has finally reached the endgame of the "how stupid can we make our title" arms race that all those Kingdom Hearts spinoffs started.

This is a self-correcting problem, because no-one will remember that name or be able to express it to the shopkeeper. Kingdom Hearts can get away with it because it's just The New Kingdom Hearts Game, but this?

I'm pretty sure it's clever word play in japanese. But I'm probably wrong. It's called hotaru no nikki, and I think pronouncing hotl#NiQ in japanese sounds like hotaru no nikki. I'm probably wrong. Either way the shop keeper won't care, as it's a digital download game only.

Spelunky jetpack is probably in my top three jetpacks that I can think of, along with the jetpack in Tribes: Ascend and the Archangel Armor in XCOM EU that made my squadsight + double tap sniper insanely OP.

I'm tired of the "dumb henchmen" trope. If you're going to let me overhear guards, have them say something interesting. Deus Ex did it 14 years ago, get with the times!

I stumbled upon this old trailer for Deus Ex. Isn't it just perfect?

So I'm playing Pokémon Y right now and man, Pokémon villains are terrifyingly dumb. I mean, they're always dumb, but Team Flare is just weird. They're this total "drink the Kool-Aid" type Scientology-esque cult where the idea is that you give a rich dude all of your money and wear a snazzy red uniform in exchange for being spared when he fires an ancient superweapon to destroy nearly all life as we know it. There's nothing to indicate that the superweapon even exists for 90% of the game, so I guess that all of the Team Flare Grunts must be super gullible.

Also I spent most of this game thinking that my Golurk had Iron Fist instead of Klutz. So instead of having a good ability I have one of the worst ones in the game. Okay.

[Thumbs] Jon

1,633.2 hours on record / 36.9 hours last two weeks

This account is worth $5516.92. If all games were bought on sale, it would be $1846.40.

UnitNumberFive 245.0 hours on record / 2.2 hours last two weeks

This account is worth $1066.32. If all games were bought on sale, it would be $382.69.

Actual amount of money I have spent on Steam games: about $30. I get most of my stuff by waiting for someone to buy a humble bundle and then giving away the games that they already own. Ehehehe.

UnitNumberFive 245.0 hours on record / 2.2 hours last two weeks

This account is worth $1066.32. If all games were bought on sale, it would be $382.69.

Actual amount of money I have spent on Steam games: about $30. I get most of my stuff by waiting for someone to buy a humble bundle and then giving away the games that they already own. Ehehehe.

Killer strategy.

My wife has a way with these kinds of things, she manages to unintentionally gather boys that buy her games for no good reason. I don't know if they have some kind of crush on her or something, but there have been situations where some random person just buys her a game without having talked to her for more than 10 minutes. They also do this super-stupid thing where they try to convince her to play a game because they know the best games and she's a silly woman for not having played said game, so they buy it for her to prove a point or something.

1. Buy PC
  2. Pretend to be Woman
  3. ?
  4. Profit

scrape that

1. Pretend to own PC
  2. Pretend to be Woman
  3. ?
  4. Marry Gabe Newell

what could go wrong? I'll start by changing my handle to FEMington