Jake

Idle Thumbs 163: A B C D E3

Yeah, I had the PS2 version of Psychonauts, though I wasn't sure if it was on PS2 at launch or later, simply because I got the game years after the initial release.

...and then I got a copy of it on PC with the 5 CDs. ...and then I got the Steam version from a Humble Bundle. Huh. Didn't realize I had so many copies of it.

Lemme see...I bought...

...the original 5CD version ordered from cduniverse.com.

...the German language version on DVD, published by THQ.

...a copy from GOG.

...it as part of three different Humble Bundles (Humble Indie Bundle V, Humble Weekly Sale: Double Fine! and the recent Summer Games Done Quick 2014 Bundle)

Yeah, I don't think I ever bought more copies of any other game. I think the first Penumbra comes closest with about three or four copies (and I never played it).

I know this has been a few episodes back now, I just don't remember when exactly.

I'm kinda sad that Die Augen der Welt has been renamed, since Chris' helpless attempts to pronounce the title never failed to amuse me. :)

Man I forgot that in 2005 publishers were still insisting PC games ship with their data spanned across multiple CD ROMS, while consoles had aleady been a couple years with DVD players. It's no fucking wonder Steam took off. Psychonauts on FIVE CD ROMS! That was also probably nothing compared to some games of the time.

Back in my day, we playedThe Secret of Monkey Island on eight 5¼-inch floppy discs and we liked it that way!

I played it on a 486 without so much as a sound card, so I wouldn't know.

Also that game came out before I was born, so I have no idea how I managed to get a hold of the game and such old hardware.

Man I forgot that in 2005 publishers were still insisting PC games ship with their data spanned across multiple CD ROMS, while consoles had aleady been a couple years with DVD players. It's no fucking wonder Steam took off. Psychonauts on FIVE CD ROMS! That was also probably nothing compared to some games of the time.

Dreamfall came on 6 CDs, but only in the US. They were actually on a miniature spindle inside the box. The worst.

I have vivid memories of installing quest for glory 4 from 9 floppies, though I guess HQ1 was on 10. 

Edit: I cheated and googled, but Beneath a Steel Sky was 15 x 3.5"s

Dreamfall came on 6 CDs, but only in the US. They were actually on a miniature spindle inside the box. The worst.

It was the same for Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 2. They actually sold DVD and CD versions side-by-side, but I chose the six CDs because I wanted to play it at LAN parties and, like Battlefield 1942, each CD could be used to run the game, so I more or less thought I was buying five friends with whom to play the game. Joke's on me, LotR:BfME2 was awful.

Baldurs gate CDs

baldur.jpg

I hate my 4 DVD box with both games and both expansions. Steam is so much easier.

European version was a DVD.

Phantasmagoria still wins though with 7 CDs. And within that, the velvet special deluxe box (which was apparently only sold in .nl)

SQNRE2p.jpg

I recall Jake once joked about Telltale wanting to do a contest where the winner would receive a copy of a game (Tales of Monkey Island I think) on hundreds of floppy discs.  I think Campo Santo should do this with Firewatch.

that's quite a challenge given the fact that the last diskette factory stopped production over a year ago.

I hear Final Fantasy XIII will be on 12 DVDs on Suckbox.

Oh, that reminds me of this slice of crazy from NeoGAF:

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for [suckbox] or you can kiss your business goodbye.

"I don't know how much you know about {blank} - I'm an expert" became an in-joke on the forum I was on at the time. It's just perfect.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about dildomancers (I'm an expert), but

I don't know how much the rest of you know about bird noises (I'm an expert), but I've never actually heard a bird say "baboo."

EDIT: And this stupid post starts a new page. Lovely.

"I don't know how much you know about {blank} - I'm an expert" became an in-joke on the forum I was on at the time. It's just perfect.

I remember that!

Baldurs gate CDs

baldur.jpg

I hate my 4 DVD box with both games and both expansions. Steam is so much easier.

steam is so much easier but im still jealous of this. I do have BG2 and TOB on CD, as well as the manuals, but not the boxes. I do have a boxed (open ofc) copy of Planescape Torment though.