Jake

Idle Thumbs 163: A B C D E3

That Yoshi game looks good

It's definitely one of those things going into the bigger equation of people (myself included) getting interested in a Wii U finally. I'm just glad there's finally some worthwhile buzz about it.

Its nice to see a Yoshi's Island descendent that actually looks nice. The level complexity still looks simpler than it should, based on the later Yoshi's Island levels, but it looks really clean and well put together.

Its nice to see a Yoshi's Island descendent that actually looks nice. The level complexity still looks simpler than it should, based on the later Yoshi's Island levels, but it looks really clean and well put together.

That's a kind of weird comparison to make, since I assume that these levels being shown here are presumably earlier in the game, and the early Yoshi's Island levels were also far more straightforward. I also hope that Nintendo ramps up the level complexity though, and if things like Super Mario 3D Land/World are any indication, they're capable of making complex, difficult games. I hope that Nintendo doesn't aim these yarn games at a more introductory crowd; I am reading that Yoshi's New Island, while a little harder near the end, was too simple for the adult audience who craves a proper sequel to Yoshi's Island

I think the comparison is fair, as no Yoshi's game other than Yoshi's Island has had that difficulty curve. They all seem aimed younger/simpler.

I don't normally like Yoshi, but the combination of adorable visuals and lack of awful, crying baby Mario is selling me on it.

I love that Chris' refererence point for Peter Dinklage is The Station Agent.

Until Game of Thrones, I think that was considered his breakout role (and is really good), and I haven't seen Game of Thrones. Although I just checked his filmography and I remember I also have seen him in Living in Oblivion.

The role I remember him in most, having not seen much of his pre-Game of Thrones work, is as the executive in Elf that Will Ferrell's character unintentionally insults.

That Yoshi game looks good

it does, esp visually. But I'm with Jeff Gerstmann, I think, in that I think the yoshi egg aiming mechanic is bad. Never been a big yoshi fan, gameplay wise or really... at all.

Jake's comment on Psychonauts at the end of the podcast confused me a little, I don't know if I understand it correctly. He seems to claim that Psychonauts was an Xbox exclusive and was at the time 'not coming out for PC', but on launch I bought the PC version on five CD-ROMs straight from Double Fine and played it with my keyboard (and got through Meat Circus just fine thankyouverymuch). I can't in good faith believe that Jake wouldn't know which SKU's (hnnnng!) there were of Psychonauts, so what's up?

Psychonauts was definitely talked as being an Xbox exclusive at some point before its release, and the PC version was announced only later (but still before the release date, I think).

Regarding buying the PC version at launch, was it just the European version then that was delayed for who knows how long? It was the PC, EU or EU PC version but I can't remember which. 

It was a huge clusterfuck, the EU version was indeed delayed and there was even a Gamecube version that either only came out in the US or never came out at all. Luckily PC has no region locking, so I could just import it from the US.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I also bought the PC version directly from Double Fine, and was surprised when the game (or just the PC version) was reviewed some year later in the local game magazine.

Jake's comment on Psychonauts at the end of the podcast confused me a little, I don't know if I understand it correctly. He seems to claim that Psychonauts was an Xbox exclusive and was at the time 'not coming out for PC', but on launch I bought the PC version on five CD-ROMs straight from Double Fine and played it with my keyboard (and got through Meat Circus just fine thankyouverymuch). I can't in good faith believe that Jake wouldn't know which SKU's (hnnnng!) there were of Psychonauts, so what's up?

Psychonauts was a Microsoft Games Studio project. They cancelled it, and it was picked up by Majesco for release.

PC was only announced as part of the Majesco deal but yes I forgot that that happens right at launch and wasn't delayed.

Yeah, I had the PS2 version of Psychonauts, though I wasn't sure if it was on PS2 at launch or later, simply because I got the game years after the initial release.

...and then I got a copy of it on PC with the 5 CDs. ...and then I got the Steam version from a Humble Bundle. Huh. Didn't realize I had so many copies of it.