Jake

Idle Thumbs 163: A B C D E3

I don't mean to besmirch Nature Box, but if the ********* slices snack is just dried *********, couldn't you just get it at any bulk foods store?

Eeeew..

I just can't believe how often that comes up.

You wouldn't think ********* would pop up every few weeks on a video game forum, would you?

I don't mean to besmirch Nature Box, but if the ********* slices snack is just dried *********, couldn't you just get it at any bulk foods store?

Anyway, great ep, those Star Citizen commercials were more than I was prepared for.  I still think the phenomenon is pretty crazy.

Edit: Pine-apple is censored!?

I enjoy that it makes you look super outraged

The *********s are similar to what you'd get in bulk in a store but they were surprisingly fresh/recent tasting for dried fruit which is rare. Their value is mostly that they come in the box with a bunch of other stuff. If I just wanted ********* slices I wouldnt go get a naturebox order just for that.

That Ford commercial was incredible. I could just see the spacecrates of cargo being slammed down overly hard into the compartments. Even though I loved Freelancer, I've been trying to keep away from the Star Citizen hysteria, but that one commercial just got me really excited. 

Edit: Oh woah, hot Ultra Boost callbacks. Gotta have that Combo Breaker Crunch Cereal (Why Is It a Cereal?)™

If you haven't seen the trailer for Never Alone, you should check it out. The language is seriously beautiful.

I am totally in love with Never Alone! I was smitten the first time I saw it, but forgot what it was called. 

Hey, so I sent in that rundown of the Star Citizen dev teams and just wanted to chime in and say that I'm not the guy Chris knew from Shacknews but am in fact some other guy altogether.  A quick google suggests he might be thinking of a guy named David instead?

Looks like zbrush to me, you can see (what looks like) dynamic shadows and actual 3D geometry on the tree-dude. I feel like we increasingly see 2D-3D hybrids these days (Diablo 3, Broken Age). I could be mistaken though!

Edit: That's a thumbs up!

Huh. Really? All I see is layers of clay blobs super-imposed on top of the tree to create his puffy cheeks when blowing and some shadows from the tree tops that just look like flat layer on top of the tree. Other shadows on the tree don't look dynamic at all. The tree even bends a bit at the bottom without any of the shading changing. I honestly don't know, but I'd think all the transforming geometry would be harder to pull off in 3d with blend shapes than just making four or five sprites of clay animation.

I need to know! Argh! :(

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/10/5792104/kirby-and-the-rainbow-curse-release-window-nintendo-wii-u
"The new Wii U release is set in an HD, stop-motion world made of clay."

video/screens: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/06/kirby-and-rainbow-curse-announced-for.html

someone hunt down the press release... i don't think there's any more info out there other than whats on the nintendo product page

Its a mystery

I played the Mac port of Aliens vs Predator, big ups Jake!

That game still kind of holds up. There is more than one Alien, but it still nails the horror feel.

Super!

Here's McElroy/Dinklage voice session:

This is super great. I do love The Brothers McElroy.

Star Citizen: it's hard to imagine that even with 45 million + X (split what, 8 ways?), we're not going to wind up like 4 different video games with a tunnel you drive through to connect them.

also, Danielle is always great and fun on the cast!

God Splatoon looks pretty cool actually...I find myself wanting a Wii U more and more...someone please stop me from making a dumb decision.

Why would it be a dumb decision if you want it?

God Splatoon looks pretty cool actually...I find myself wanting a Wii U more and more...someone please stop me from making a dumb decision.

I bought one recently and have yet to regret it. There were more games for it that I was interested in playing than a PS4 or XBONE, so it made sense for me. If there are more than a couple of games you want to play for it and you can see yourself playing them over a longer period of time (as I do for Mario Kart 8, 3D World, etc.) then why not? (assuming you have the available disposable income and all that)

I'm kind of fascinated on how quickly the general attitude towards the WiiU has shifted around here.  Even I'm getting interested in one, and I haven't wanted a piece of Nintendo hardware in a couple of decades. 

My interest in the Alien game sharply reduced when I found out it was being made by Creative Assembly. Wasn't it just 6 months ago that everyone was talking about how Rome II was a buggy pile of garbage, and a couple years before that when Empire:Total War was a pile of buggy garbage too? Where does the Creative Assembly love come from?

My interest in the Alien game sharply reduced when I found out it was being made by Creative Assembly. Wasn't it just 6 months ago that everyone was talking about how Rome II was a buggy pile of garbage, and a couple years before that when Empire:Total War was a pile of buggy garbage too? Where does the Creative Assembly love come from?

Yeah, I had the same thoughts from the episode. Creative Assembly's put an enormous amount of effort into Total War: Rome II post-release, but that's really just moved it from "embarrassingly unplayable" to "just not fun to play". Once in a while, they pull together something that's at least enjoyable, like Rome: Total War or Total War: Shogun 2, but by and large they have a terrible track record of living up to even explicit promises.

That said, I can understand someone who doesn't know them well having a positive impression. They know how to put on a good demo at shows, so if that's all you ever see of their games, it's understandable to think of them as a Firaxis-tier company, but between their reach always exceeding their grasp, their tendency towards throw-features-in-a-bucket-and-call-it-a-game design, and SEGA's tendency to push games out at least six months before they're done, I have trouble thinking that fondly of them. They haven't made a really solid game since the 2D days of Shogun and Medieval, which makes it kind of weird that they can just hang around in gamers' consciousness as this really talented and promising developer.

I'm kind of fascinated on how quickly the general attitude towards the WiiU has shifted around here.  Even I'm getting interested in one, and I haven't wanted a piece of Nintendo hardware in a couple of decades. 

I think at this point if you're someone deep into gaming, which is what I would assume of the crowd around here, you're most likely playing the majority of your games on a PC. The PC is your place for indie, AAA and online multiplayer. Where the PS4 and Xbone make promises for those things, they generally charge you more for the privilege of it. You then look at the WiiU, it's not promising to be the console for indie, AAA, and online MP, what it does do though, or at least promises to do is having a wealth of exclusive games and have those games be good for 4 people sitting in the same room. The Wiiooo seems to be the most console-y console at this point, and that's probably why people are changing perspective on it.

Yeah, as someone who mainly games on the PC, I have 0 reason to buy either the xbone or ps4 for 'exclusives' whereas WiiU has been building steam with exclusives and by years end will have a solid roster of good games to enjoy.

The WiiU is the thing that gets the most play out of any video game system around my house, between my housemates using it to play Mario Kart or Wii Party U or Game and Wario and me frustratedly making my way through Rayman Legends or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. The system has had a lot of unnecessary negativity surrounding it, as if people were willing to, without doing any actual research and without playing the damn thing, just accept some BS narrative created about it. I'm glad to see that WiiU discussion isn't anathema anymore. 

There are reasons to buy and play a WiiU, especially if you are someone with real physical human friends.