Sign in to follow this  
Rxanadu

Help with quitting a team without regrets

I don't know how to.break it to someone that I no longer care about working with him on a project. The thing is he's already made a public announcement that I'm on his team, along with others. True, not many people may have seen it, but I don't want this to bite me later in my career.

I don't want to burn any bridges with him. I need to express I've been under a lot of pressure from personal lite to work on the game anymore and that I need to straighten out my life before working with him again.

If anyone has any tips on this sort of thing, please let me know ASAP. He just sent me a PM on Skype, and I don't want to say something I may regret.

I think you're actually in a good place; you're not leaving the team because you disagree with the vision or the team members, but because you're having personal issues that are interfering with your ability to work on the project to the standard you expect of yourself. Most team leads understand, or should understand, that sometimes people have to leave for personal reasons, and it's not a reflection on anyone when they choose to do so.

I think if you make clear that you'd like to work with him again in the future after you've got everything sorted out, you won't burn any bridges.

If he does react poorly, he's in the wrong here and maybe you dodged a bullet.

Everything Merus said.

It sounds like there's no way you can carry on working on it, you have a reason that's out of your or his control, and if he's an asshole about that, he's an asshole.