Backadd

Idle Thumbs Animated

Inspired by these I ended up doing one myself (another Sean nightmare weirdly). So I hope it's ok for this thread to become a general home for animated/illustrated podcast segments from different creators.

Inspired by these I ended up doing one myself (another Sean nightmare weirdly). So I hope it's ok for this thread to become a general home for animated/illustrated podcast segments from different creators.

That was really cool, I really like the art style!

That was really good.  Gawd, these are all so good.

Atte, that video was great. I like how the waviness of the lines really compliment the bizzare dream world. It's eerie how so many of these animations seem to be Sean focused...

So you guys finally inspired me to finish this one I started when episode 70 came out, so probably almost 2 years ago at this point. I'm lazy.

Coincidentally enough it's also sort of a Sean thing, but it's also one of those moments that both Jake and Chris also start riffing on. 

I don't know enough editing to properly animate so it ended up being a very slideshow-y thing, which took up a lot of time for me. If anyone has some good workflow tips, please reveal (i use photoshop and premiere)

So you guys finally inspired me to finish this one I started when episode 70 came out, so probably almost 2 years ago at this point. I'm lazy.

Coincidentally enough it's also sort of a Sean thing, but it's also one of those moments that both Jake and Chris also start riffing on. 

I don't know enough editing to properly animate so it ended up being a very slideshow-y thing, which took up a lot of time for me. If anyone has some good workflow tips, please reveal (i use photoshop and premiere)

I thought this was great! 

Workflow tip: Use After Effects instead of Premiere! :getmecoat

Real tips (though honestly if you do ever wanna animate things in the editing even slightly, I say go AE if you can)

Learn every shortcut you can, it really helps. The massive list of them you find on google can look daunting but if you just narrow it down to the functions you use it helps immeasurably, especially because moving buttons are more precise than the mouse.

Also predetermine your video resolution and make all your photoshop images that size. I think Photoshop even has templates that you can use when starting a new document where you could just set it to be widescreen, HDTV or whatever. If it doesn't you can look it up but...

Standard definition widescreen is 1050x576

HD 780 is 1080x780

And HD 1080 is 1920x1080.

The lack of black bars on the edge of the video just looks better for marginally more effort and also would automatically make all the frames fit right into the frame in Premiere. (I'm not sure if you had to reposition them the way you did do it or not).

One last thing, these are good render settings for animation/a series of drawn stills:

Format: Quicktime

Codec: h.264

If you don't have that as an option you might need to install Quicktime for it to appear. I'm not entirely sure if you'd care to do that much as I'm also not aware of what specifically these settings are meant to do, just that everyone uses them and they're acknowledged all round as better.

I'm done spouting videogeek stuff now, hope it helped!

I am pretty sure that Kotick on a Plane is, taken individually, my favorite Thumbs segment of all time. Having it hilariously animated is just icing on the cake.

Hey I made this for this episode for my digital video type class. I'm still not super pro at it so forgive any mistakes. Also I don't know why the colors are washed out. It has something to do with my codec and apparently I have to purchase Quicktime Pro. Not doing that right now.

Awesome work! :tup:

I will never get tired of that accent, so I will be playing this again and again.

Super smooth & tight! Use of expressive typography was a good idea because the language itself is the star of that segment.

Okay everyone, calm down, it was just some fucking letters.

I was dazzled by the bright colours and lively motion.

Cool video! Animation really is a huge time sink. For slideshow style videos premiere is fine; it allows basic movement etc. If you want to do more elaborate animations or use a ton of effects you might want to take a look at After Effects.

Hey I made this for this episode for my digital video type class. I'm still not super pro at it so forgive any mistakes. Also I don't know why the colors are washed out. It has something to do with my codec and apparently I have to purchase Quicktime Pro. Not doing that right now.

That was really cool, typography really blended well with that segment!

I love all these.  Just logged in to say that Backadd, my favorite part of your video is the look on Chris's face when he's threatening to kill Jake and Sean.  So perfect.

Thanks to everyone for engaging with the Idle Thumbs brand and adding value!