Sign in to follow this  
tegan

The Last Metroid is NOT in Captivity; The Galaxy is NOT at Peace

What's Retro up to these days besides spitting out Donkey Kong games? A Prime game on Wii U would probably sell me on the system... although, would you use the pad and do some crazy stuff with the screen (probably), or just stick with the tried and true wiimote controls?

I think Retro wanted to do other things, stretch their legs a bit. (I would love them to take a crack at Zelda by the by)

I'm excited by this news. Then I realise I've only played 2 of the Metroid games so technically I have a lot of 'new' games I can play already. But still,

Metroid was the most glaring omission from Nintendo's E3, but fortunately everything else was pretty cool.  They need to hire more developers or something because it's crazy that we haven't had a metroid since Other M.  I don't want Nintendo to start annualizing franchises or anything, but a couple metroids per console generation isn't too much to ask I don't think.  Especially when Nintendo needs the system sellers.  Splatoon looks cool, Captain Toad looks cool.... but those aren't system sellers.

Retro is, presumably, working on a new franchise (IP, whatever) but no one knows at the moment.  It seems they're done with Donkey Kong Country for a while, which is fine.  We don't really need another one until we get a new nintendo system.

I wish Nintendo understood the demand for HD remakes.  Metroid Prime Trilogy HD would be a great way to tide us over while they're figuring out what to do.

I would hazard at a guess that Nintendo know people like Metroid and people like Samus and they are spectacularly bad at giving people what they want out of the Metroid series. It's had a perception in Nintendo that it's a Western series; the failure of Other M, particularly over story elements, likely reinforced that. So they're probably looking for another Western team they trust that can have a crack at it.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Other M's failings had nothing to do with it being developed in Japan so much as it was developed by Team Ninja.  That was a joint venture no one asked for.

Metroid has always been far more popular in the west than in Japan, but I've also heard that Zero Mission was a surprise hit over there. I would be cool with getting another 2D Metroid game by that team.

I love the 2D Metroid games (mostly) but I'd personally rather have a new 3D one.  But I'll take what I can get at this point.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Other M's failings had nothing to do with it being developed in Japan so much as it was developed by Team Ninja.  That was a joint venture no one asked for.

We've had discussions about Other M before, including how it wasn't (entirely) Team Ninja's fault.