Jake

Idle Thumbs 162: Cavorting Amongst the Corpses

I know it's all selection bias so the survey results shouldn't get that much weight, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

I'm pretty surprised its as high as 5%. I'm surprised only 12% of us have kids and are so young too. Maybe marketing really do know what they're doing.

edit 2: So i didn't fill out the survey as i don't live in the US of A, i guess all the ads are going to be squarely aimed at people in America anyway? I want localised/personalised marketing!

There's a survey question asking which country/city you're from. Maybe if you filled it out with your country you'd get more internationally relevant ads? :o

Does not what? I am positive I answered a question about which country/city I live in.. O_o

Secret hope: next week Jake comes in and yells "I've been doing nothing but playing Mario Kart and practicing the banjo for the past week!" before pulling out his banjo and playing this:

Does not what? I am positive I answered a question about which country/city I live in.. O_o

Does not change to more internationally relevant questions.

There were no "How many cups of tea have you had today?" or "how many queues have you stood in today?"

Sorry, just re read your post, more internationally relevant ads not questions. You know what! I'm going to fill it out!

By the way, I love that this episode has an ad about watching the Criterion Collection on Hulu Plus and then a discussion about how awesome Criterion Collection DVD features have been lost to streaming services.

Yup:

attachicon.gifthumbssurvey.jpg

EDIT: Let's remove the image posted from my iPhone.  Plus even though our surveyed demographic is exactly as stereotypical as you'd expect, I'm glad that we don't act as stereotypically as you'd expect (or at least not in a way I can't tune out).

30ish, male, white, unshaven... sounds about right

oh wait.. no question on the survey about facial hair

The Disney executive rock star experience reminded me of a Sarah Vowell story about attending a "rock and roll fantasy camp," which I guess is where aging musicians try to let rich old people live out their musical fantasies while slowly dying inside. I don't remember which book it's in, but she read a version of it on This American Life. It's totally worth listening to.

That was quite an enjoyable excerpt, good post!

In the cast when the Thumbs are talking about Star Citizen, there's an off hand mention that playing Star Citizen is a hobbyist activity. The "hobbyist activity" metaphor is a favourite of the F2P side of the game industry generally used to comfort those who have an issue with exploiting the heavy monetizers (or whales if you prefer). Model trains featured heavily in the slides of the GDC F2P summit.

"It's people who've just been [...] huffing their own farts in the same building with people who already know their shit." This sentence floored me.

The Grim talk was really fascinating, I only played it once on PC and then my discs were damaged so I don't have a good sense of what that game is anymore, other than good (and frustrating in that part where you have to put that damn item on that screen to open up the secret road or whatever). I'm really looking forward to playing it once it comes out on steam, hopefully in as close to its original form as possible.

Hey, they said that people on the internet whom they trust said that Edge Of Tomorrow was okay! I said it was okay on the forums! QED I am trustworthy people!

oh yeah, someone post the thumbs survey link

edit: fuck it. i'll do it: http://www.podsurvey.com/thumbs

edit 2: So i didn't fill out the survey as i don't live in the US of A, i guess all the ads are going to be squarely aimed at people in America anyway? I want localised/personalised marketing! I want a cold call from Jake telling me in a poor English accent to check out the new Subway that just opened 5 minutes from where i live. Eat Fresh! I dont know why i want these things

Anyway, i would actually be very interested in what the global share of listeners looks like.

Tone Control isn't on the select list of other podcasts. :tdown:

Actually, the only one of the podcasts that i listen to that are on there is Telll 'Em Steve-Dave.

The other ones (That I couldn't enter) are: Anwer Me This, What Say You, Tone Control and Adam and Joe (which has ended, but I'm constantly re-listening to the excellence that was this podcast)

I was listening to this podcast as I went grocery shopping this evening, and there were two important things that happened:

1) When Chris described getting into his Star Citizen spaceship, and not being able to actually fly the thing, the mere thought of Chris, all suited up and sitting in this overly complicated ship cockpit, with a confused grumpy look on his face as he flipped switches made me laugh so, so loud in the grocery store. Just pulling on the stick, flipping some switches, pushing on foot pedals in this super fancy spaceship. So funny. Then I went back to shopping and he described how he had to get a helmet to fly the ship, and then I imagined him getting excited and racing out of the ship to the other side of the hangar, putting on his helmet, and proudly re-entering the spaceship only to find that he still couldn't fly it. Star Citizen, ladies and germs. This is why I'm hopeful for Enemy Starfighter.

2) I had to stop listening to the podcast because Hall and Oates

came on the grocery store music system, and sorry, Thumbs, but that song is a jam.

So I was the loudly laughing dancing guy in the rural New Hampshire grocery store 

So I was the loudly laughing dancing guy in the rural New Hampshire grocery store 

Whatever gets you through the day. I mean it sounds like you had a great shopping experience. :D.

Tone Control isn't on the select list of other podcasts. :tdown:

Actually, the only one of the podcasts that i listen to that are on there is Telll 'Em Steve-Dave.

The other ones (That I couldn't enter) are: Anwer Me This, What Say You, Tone Control and Adam and Joe (which has ended, but I'm constantly re-listening to the excellence that was this podcast)

The podcast selection struck me as weird. None of the other podcasts I listen to on any sort of basis (Giant Bombcast, Retronauts, HP Podcraft, Tinycast, or No More Whoppers) were on there. Is it a selection from a Podcast network or something?

Yeah, I suspect they are all other podcasts repped by the Midroll. Unclear.

Yeah, I suspect they are all other podcasts repped by the Midroll. Unclear.

A cursory glance at Midroll's list of podcasts and the survey list suggests this to be true.

Yeah it's other midroll podcasts. I know Earwolf uses them, and all their podcasts are on there.