Jake

Idle Thumbs 162: Cavorting Amongst the Corpses

Idle Thumbs 160:

553__header.jpg

Cavorting Amongst the Corpses

The thudding gets louder, deafening. You try to speak but you cannot hear your own voice. You try to look up but you are blinded. Getting up from your chair is a futile effort, the thudding coursing through your veins; it's in your heart now. You are at E3, but you are sitting at home. We are at E3, but we are sitting at work. E3 is everywhere and it is in all of us and it is all of us.

Things Discussed: Ori and the Blind Forest, No Man's Sky, The Legend of Zelda (WiiU), Grim Fandango (PS4), Evolve, Sunset Overdrive, Rocksmith, Star Citizen

If you listen carefully to their wording, E3 presenters seem to either say "Console Exclusive", as in "Only on our console but also on PC", or "Exclusive Trailer",  meaning "We get to show you a thing but the game is actually it's on multiple consoles; we just wanted to say exclusive again"

It's odd that exclusivity is the thing that they try to use to make people want to justify the purchasing of a piece of proprietary hardware.

I love how Sean's cougar, eagle, and electric guitar sounds are all really just the same sound.

Also,the story about the meeting at Disney was just tremendous! I haven't laughed that hard in fifty episodes.

It's odd that exclusivity is the thing that they try to use to make people want to justify the purchasing of a piece of proprietary hardware.

I have to assume it's just that they're clinging to the way things used to be, when porting across multiple platforms wasn't always easy and a lot of games just had to be exclusive and it was a question of where they chose to go, which influenced the console's actual library. These days the lines are so blurred that it barely matters at all.

...except for Wii U I guess. Cause Nintendo games.

If you listen carefully to their wording, E3 presenters seem to either say "Console Exclusive", as in "Only on our console but also on PC", or "Exclusive Trailer",  meaning "We get to show you a thing but the game is actually it's on multiple consoles; we just wanted to say exclusive again"

I know that they use phrases like that, but those phrases effectively just mean "not exclusive." They're using modifiers that make the word in question mean almost the opposite of what it's supposed to mean. It's like saying someone is "not fully alone" because they're in a room with several other people instead of a hundred people.

No mans guy talking about no mans sky

I can't believe they're still a 4 person team. They were a 4 person team when it was first shown on the spike thing but since then i remember seeing a tweet that they had had hundreds of job applications after the reveal (hell, i even checked out their job page) i'd imagine they'd have a few more staff on board now. Edit: Yeah they've posted jobs on their blog

the amount of smoke and mirrors over exclusives at the sony press conference was ridiculous. it came so thick and fast it was hard to even parse the particular linguistic tricks involved because there were so so many in so many forms: console exclusives (or just exclusive stated as meaning console exclusive), debuting first, exclusive content, timed exclusive content, timed exclusive beta, exclusive alpha, exclusive special edition, exclusive data transfer, exclusive co-op game sharing demo. i felt exhausted following it. it seems especially absurd when the ps4 looks like it's going to be the default platform for people who like console games - they don't need that stuff surely. i guess the point was that if you say the word exclusive a million times people will be tricked into thinking more stuff is than really is which is pretty shady way to conduct a press conference.

it was nice to watch the nintendo show and not have to bother thinking about that stuff, it's all nintendo games so you know where you stand always. 

No mans guy talking about no mans sky

I can't believe they're still a 4 person team. They were a 4 person team when it was first shown on the spike thing but since then i remember seeing a tweet that they had had hundreds of job applications after the reveal (hell, i even checked out their job page) i'd imagine they'd have a few more staff on board now. Edit: Yeah they've posted jobs on their blog

sean murray was on giant bomb's live show and said that they're twelve people now (though he also implied that one or two are also working on joe danger ios and vita stuff)

That episode will forever exist in my memory as a weird chronicle of offhand incidents of capitalist excess both in & out of games.

It feels like those same executives who indulged their teenage fantasty a by having their band play with a full set of pyrotechnics will be the same ones dropping thousands on a ship flying around playing at being Han Solo while everyone else feels like Greedo

I've only listened to the first 40 minutes of the cast, but I'm digging this E3 trailer for CUPHEAD. I'm sure you guys have been @'d about it a million times, but it intersects E3, Disney, and what I perceive to be Jake's general interests. EXCLSUIVE TO XBONE (and steam).

Yup:

post-8337-0-62630000-1402582744_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Let's remove the image posted from my iPhone.  Plus even though our surveyed demographic is exactly as stereotypical as you'd expect, I'm glad that we don't act as stereotypically as you'd expect (or at least not in a way I can't tune out).

I've only listened to the first 40 minutes of the cast, but I'm digging this E3 trailer for CUPHEAD. I'm sure you guys have be @'d about it a million times, but it intersects E3, Disney, and what I perceive to be Jake's general interests. EXCLSUIVE TO XBONE (and steam).

AGHGHGH thats the other game I meant to talk about. Thank you for linking it in the thread.

The Disney executive rock star experience reminded me of a Sarah Vowell story about attending a "rock and roll fantasy camp," which I guess is where aging musicians try to let rich old people live out their musical fantasies while slowly dying inside. I don't remember which book it's in, but she read a version of it on This American Life. It's totally worth listening to.

I assumed that the buying ships thing was only a temporary perk while the game was under development and once Star Citizen actually ships everyone will be able to just buy the ships with ingame currency but I guess some percentage of the players don't think so? If you can only get the best dogfighting ship if you drop $10,000 that's a depressing game I don't want to play ever.

I assumed that the buying ships thing was only a temporary perk while the game was under development and once Star Citizen actually ships everyone will be able to just buy the ships with ingame currency but I guess some percentage of the players don't think so? If you can only get the best dogfighting ship if you drop $10,000 that's a depressing game I don't want to play ever.

So, currently you can only do the dog fighting module with three ships. One is the entry level one which costs around $35, one is the mid-tier ship which runs around $60, and the "best dog fighting ship" costs around $125. The crazy star destroyer-like things are the ones that cost about $2000 each, but I have no idea when people would even be able to fly one of those. I think they would only go online with the persistent universe module which is a year or two away still.

I choose to believe that the Blizzard in-house band performs nothing but Rhapsody covers.

the blizzard in house bands is The Level 90 Elite Tauren Warchieftans. They started at "level 10" but have been moved up 10 levels as the game cap increased. When I was playing WoW their avatars could be seen as an NPC band playing in a tavern in Shattrath.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091012105925/wowwiki/images/5/54/RockOut.jpg

oh yeah, someone post the thumbs survey link

edit: fuck it. i'll do it: http://www.podsurvey.com/thumbs

edit 2: So i didn't fill out the survey as i don't live in the US of A, i guess all the ads are going to be squarely aimed at people in America anyway? I want localised/personalised marketing! I want a cold call from Jake telling me in a poor English accent to check out the new Subway that just opened 5 minutes from where i live. Eat Fresh! I dont know why i want these things

Anyway, i would actually be very interested in what the global share of listeners looks like.

Yup:

attachicon.gifthumbssurvey.jpg

EDIT: Let's remove the image posted from my iPhone.  Plus even though our surveyed demographic is exactly as stereotypical as you'd expect, I'm glad that we don't act as stereotypically as you'd expect (or at least not in a way I can't tune out).

Good news, it's gone up since earlier this morning!

post-33601-0-69314800-1402587727_thumb.jpg

I know it's all selection bias so the survey results shouldn't get that much weight, but it's still a bit of a bummer.