Sign in to follow this  
singlespace

Project Steam (aka steampunk Abraham Lincoln)

So Nintendo just announced they're making a turn based strategy game for the 3DS headed up by Hitoshi Yamagami and Intelligent Systems of Fire Emblem / Xenoblade fame. The game is set in a steampunk world where aliens invade and Abraham Lincoln creates a steam powered task force to investigate and fight off the aliens.

Apparently the art style is inspired by silver age comics and we'll get to see footage of it tomorrow.

Steampunk Abraham Lincoln.

A bit more than kind of! Truly ugly.

One might say: fuck ugly.

Yeah me neither.

it looks like a n64 game lol

You're probably right, but usually I can at least picture in my head how something might look a little better in motion.

I kind of hate everything about those screenshots. Even the bottom screen UI. I just really really dislike it.

The ground textures in that first screenshot remind me of LoL. Also 3DS games always look like shit in screenshots. Excited to hear more about, but also I want Metroid or F-Zero. Hmph.

First, the game is definitely called "Code Name: S.T.E.A.M."

Also four-ish screenshots of an in-development game isn't really enough for me to call a game "fuck ugly."

You know, from the actual information shared about the game, it seems pretty neat, and considering it's from the Intelligent Design guys, I'll bet it plays really well. I'll hold off judgment until I see the game in action. It's new IP from Nintendo, a company a lot of people charge with just retreading old ground all the time. I'm not a huge fan of the title, which reminds me of PROJECT H.A.M.M.E.R., that weird cancelled Wii game from years back. 

It's kind of got an Elite Beat Agents thing going on.

It's kind of got an Elite Beat Agents thing going on.

I noticed that too, but I think EBA and Osu! Tatake! Ouendan were both much better looking.

Word on the street (a street in LA I guess) is that the game is very similar to Valkyria Chronicles.  So that should make a couple people happy.

I'm not digging the look either, but I was thinking more of the uniforms those dudes are wearing.  I don't think the game actually looks ugly.

I want to see steampunk Lincoln.  But I won't be happy unless we get some cybernetic Frederick Douglass in there too.  DIVERSITY.

I think the gameplay sounds super rad for what it's worth. But I still think it's repulsive, graphically. I am of course withholding full REAL judgment for when the game is released. I'm not stupid enough to believe that's final or that it's not possible for it to look better in motion. But I sure ain't optimistic.

I do love the Valkyria Chronicles style of play, but The setting seems odd. Who are the bad guys going to be? Confederacy? British? Communists? Robot hitler?

Aliens! The enemies are aliens.

Also, they're showing it on their Twitch stream right now: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Let's see how it looks in motion, compressed and sent over the internet to my computer monitor!

Interesting, it's still got grid-based movement and attacks. Did Valkyria Chronicles work that way, or was it just full freedom?

Stream got boring fast, but whatever. Game looks marginally less ugly in motion. I'm still not a fan of it. C'est la vie. Can't like everything!