Thrik

Grim Fandango being remastered for PS4 and Vita

One unfortunate drawback of updating the ingame graphics but not the movies is that every time a cinematic start, it kind of takes me out of the game because it's such a huge shock in terms of fidelity. The experience is less seamless.

It also introduces a weird mismatch whenever there's a special in-game animation that's rendered, meaning there's a block of low resolution character rendering in the middle of a scene full of otherwise super crisp characters.

The best example of that so far is

whne Manny is being locked in the tool shed, his boss's body is a rendered cutscene while his head is a super crisp updated 3D head.

Yeah, something that I noticed while putting something together recently is that I don't believe Don Copal ever actually appears in 3D. He's always a pasted-in pre-render.

His head definitely is in 3D in that one scene but otherwise no I don't think his full figure is ever real-time rendered.

The fire extinguisher is a red herring at this point but you might want to store it in the back of you brain. This is a puzzle that involves exploring the environment rather than any object you're holding.

Thanks for the advice! I'll noodle on it some more.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, mercy! The original game was buggy out the arse. Crashed to desktop all the frigging time.

I had started another game to just quickly go through the commentary mode, which seems like a really great commentary mode and all, but in the hour or two it took me to burn through to the start of year 2, the game had CTD'd at least four times. Trying to move through the content as quickly as possible seems to exacerbate its instabilities.

Still, totally worth it for the story Schafer tells about cleaning up pigeon poop.

I too had a pretty buggy experience. It got to where when I tried to skip the intro cutscene on the second time I tried the game and the video skipped but the audio kept playing over gameplay. Its feeling extremely hitchy. Maybe I should just try to get a little further on before I judge it though.

Damn, I'm still stuck. No idea what to do here.

Have a think about what specifically is stopping you from getting into that tube room yourself.

The Vita version is pretty crashy and slow in my experience. I actually have a better experience remote playing the PS4 version over the internet, because the PS4 version is so much more solid.

I love the new controls, and the new look is good enough that I'm keeping it turned on most of the time. I'm definitely enjoying farting around Rubacava again.

Hah.. I had somehow forgotten that tberton had already done the balloon bit, which is why I thought Thrik's hint was a little bit too vague. Sorry.

FWIW, the (PC) update pushed out last night has fixed the CTD I was experiencing. Granted, I was at the start of year 2, but for those experiencing bugs, it might be a bit more stable now.

The last update appears to have unlocked the framerate for me and now it runs at something like 400fps according to the built-in framerate counter in Steam.

They should probably fix that...

You pray for Double Fine to make an executable patch one of these months, then pray for GOG to upload it a few days later.

Damn, I knew I should've gone with Steam. Oh well. Video gamessss

The last update appears to have unlocked the framerate for me and now it runs at something like 400fps according to the built-in framerate counter in Steam.

They should probably fix that...

what version number?

All of my items became invisible for some time in the PS4-version. It felt weird to guess the items from Manny's commentary alone...

what version number?

Whatever version just went out on Steam within the last 24 hours, it started happening after that update.

I got the updated Grim Fandango Network up today. Still quite a lot of content to move beyond draft form, but it's somewhat a relief to just get it out there.

From looking at the traffic it seems that a LOT of people are wanting a walkthrough right now, haha. Oh, GF.