Thrik

Grim Fandango being remastered for PS4 and Vita

It seems the game doesn't have a proper widescreen mode, it just stretches the image. That won't prevent me from playing the game of course, specially because I didn't played it back then, but it surely is disappointing considering it is a "remaster".

If the game is heavily comprised of prerendered scenes and cutscenes in a 4:3 aspect ratio, then that is the "proper" mode. Never has a remaster meant that the aspect ratio is altered from the original format. If anything that's the opposite of a remaster if you consider a large body of films and animation.

In the Ratchet and Clank HD collection the first game switched from 4:3 for the prerendered cutscenes (as they should) and to 16:9 for the real time 3d gameplay. Iwish they had just left the whole game 4:3 as it originally was because it was a bit odd to keep switching.

Just curious, do you listen to the Twin Peaks podcast?

So I'm playing it a bit now. The lighting and high-res models look great, and music is great, but the controls are a bit weird, especially if you want to combine direct character control with point and click. E.g. pressing the use key while hovering the mouse over something will non-intuitively interact with the thing Manny is looking at instead. Also in the ledge I had to actually press "U" to get down via the rope, even though I had mapped "Use" to "F" (and movement to WASD). I actually looked it up in a walkthrough. It said "press U", thankfully :)

[edit] Actually I think I was facing the thingie the wrong way. U still works as use everywhere even after remapping

What is this rumor about censored dialogue? http://steamcommunity.com/app/316790/discussions/0/620703493335429431/

I found another reddit page saying it was pointed out in some Youtube comments on some video the poster didn't link to. Searched videos uploaded today and couldn't find a thing. Is there anything actually behind this rumor?

That seems wildly unlikely.  There are people who practically have the whole game memorized, and its not like there aren't tons of people with the original game available to check.  Any significant dialogue/script change will be discovered pretty quickly. 

The PC version shows key binding for PS4 controller even though I have an XBOX controller plugged in. This game is shit.

I like the commentary stuff, though.

The PC version shows key binding for PS4 controller even though I have an XBOX controller plugged in. This game is shit.

I like the commentary stuff, though.

When using a controller on the PC version, do the prompts show up on everything you interact with or is it just during tutorials? 

I have only seen them in the inventory and the menus. No prompts during normal gameplay. No tutorials either to my knowledge.

I have played less than an hour of the game, but the remastering has been great so far. And Grim Fandango is, of course, simply fantastic.

The bottom corner of Manny's mouth texture has a tear that's pretty annoying, otherwise it's great so far, enjoying the commentary and the updated music.

Bought it immediately through GOG.com yesterday, couldn't resist the DRM free heaven and also the best price. It was like 11€ in GOG, while Steam had it for 15€. Also get a wallpaper as a bonus and the three development videos that can also be found from Youtube.I don't really care at all about the added achievements in Steam.

Tested it a bit from the beginning and while the new lighting system is a bit gimmicky, it's still very nicely done. Mostly I am loving the remastered musics and the director's commentary bits. The musics were awesome already in the original version of course. Played that with ResidualVM just last week. The added optional 16:9 stretchy mode looks just unbelievably horrible as it sounds on paper, can't decide whether I want to play with the native black borders or with the side decals. The point'n click interface is really well done, it just works. I will have to test though which of the three control options does feel the best. Though I noticed in the original version the camera relative option was there already with the tank controls option. Originally I did not like the direct controls in 1998, but the clutter free UI does feel nice when now thinking about it. I never had any problems with the inventory UI either back in the 90's.

I have been toying now with the idea to buy it also for PS Vita for sofa and on the go gaming, but seems it costs 15€ also in Sony's platform, it's open for purchase now also in Sony's Europe shop as a crossbuy for PS4 and Vita.

Pre-purchased it on Steam and loving it, although I agree, the achievements are bullshit. I'm playing with black borders because they are easier to ignore than the ornamental gray ones. To be fair, there are some bugs with the navigation and once the loaves of bread in my inventory wouldn't render, but it's all minor stuff. Hopefully they will be fixed though.

Am I the only one who's not completely happy with the new audio mix? In my opinion the voice/music levels seem to change from scene to scene. I don't remember the original well enough to compare, though.

I have never played Grim Fandango before.

I am enjoying it so far, and perhaps may have more thoughts later.

I'm probably the only person here waiting for the Vita version... :(

Nope! I'm also waiting for the PS4 version! (I still think it's going to be the free PS+ game for February)

The PSN UK store said it's out today when I checked at the weekend.

Nope! I'm also waiting for the PS4 version! (I still think it's going to be the free PS+ game for February)

If they were going to make it free they would have held the launch until Feb and made it free immediately. As it is now, they would just piss everyone who bought it by having it for sale for like 4 days before making it free. I do think it will be a Plus game eventually, but not for several months at least.

Has PS+ ever launched games for free? I didn't even realise that had a precedent.

Yeah, Secret ponchos last month for one. Resogun the first month the PS4 came out. um that metal slugs inspired game. Stick it to the man? There have been quit a few

Edit: Contrast. Don't Starve? Dead Nation. Velocity 2X. Towerfall. I'd say probably a third of the PS4 games so far

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_%28PAL_region%29#PlayStation_4

but i highly doubt they'll put Grim up straight way like this. Maybe in like 6-9 months

They put Binding of Isaac up for free, and that was on the day it came out. I was hoping for the same thing, but I guess you're all right  :frown: 

I couldn't buy Grim on the PS4 last night though. I'll try again tonight I guess.

um that metal slugs inspired game. 

Mercenary Kings?

This month had Infamous: First light which was pretty excellent.  :tup:

Tonight I will be playing grim fandango on my Surface Pro 3 hooked up to a projector and an Xbox One controller. The way it was meant to be played obviously. 

DF Vic says: "This has been logged. I can’t guarantee we can update this, but we will certainly investigate."

What is this rumor about censored dialogue? http://steamcommunity.com/app/316790/discussions/0/620703493335429431/

I found another reddit page saying it was pointed out in some Youtube comments on some video the poster didn't link to. Searched videos uploaded today and couldn't find a thing. Is there anything actually behind this rumor?

Maybe it is a misunderstanding and they assumed PC version meant the opinionated in a way that is different from me version?

Yes, I'm really really stupid for saying something so corny.

Bought it and playing it with tank controls - the way it's meant to be played.

Initial impressions: intro cinematic wasn't totally fluid, the HD makes Glottis' inner mouth clipping really obvious, but holy shit is this still one of the best written things ever. My girlfriend sat to next to me as I played (giddy with joy) for a good hour, and she said it was more entertaining than watching most films. Just talking to Eva is such a joy.

I disagree with Polygon's review of this game. I wore no rose tinted glasses when I played this game for the first time last year and still thought it was really really good and would deserve the same accolades it originally got if it was released today. I think it's fine to gripe a bit about the controls but to complain about the puzzles being too hard and that there are no waypoints or hint system kind of annoys me. In my opinion there was really only one puzzle that was kind of crap (that weird rolling over the pipes puzzle to knock down the tree machine thing) and the rest were designed in a way that made sense but took some time to work through. In other words, they were difficult but fair and I think these types of puzzles are far more satisfying to solve than obvious puzzles. Knocking this game for the puzzles being too hard would be like reviewing a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and giving it a lower score than a 100 piece puzzle because it was harder to find the pieces you were looking for.

Plus, I think a part of what made this game (and a lot of the other LucasArts games) so special for me was the pacing that was imposed by how long it took to work through some of the puzzles. If the puzzles are obvious or there is some kind of heavy hint system at play, the impact of the game and setting is lessened for me. Having difficult puzzles forces me to comb the environments multiple times and burn the settings and items into my memory. It makes the game special to me because not only do I get to enjoy the amazing music and story, but I notice and appreciate every little detail about each environment and interaction that I might otherwise ignore. It has already been around 9 months since I first finished it and I remember every little detail so much more vividly than I typically would with any other modern game that doesn't force you to think.

Of course this is all just my measly opinion, but I don't think rose tinted glasses are required for a person to appreciate the greatness of this game as much today as they might have when it first came out.