Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

I woke up early and can't get back to sleep and my download code showed up while I was asleep (I tried Nintendo's digital predorder system) so I'm downloading Alpha Sapphire right noooowwwww.

Okay, I love the way this game opens with your character watching the intro to the original game on their Pokénav.

This is the ONLY game I have ANY interest in taking screenshots of and it's disabled?

Why... why is Nintendo like this? Why let me take screenshots, but disallow them on certain titles where I actually have a reason to take screenshots?

I think it might have something to do with how hard the software is pushing the hardware. Smash Bros. doesn't let you use Miiverse at all. Either way, it's disappointing.

I just caught a shiny Taillow! That didn't take long at all.

I can buy that. Not that we can ever know the reason for sure.

I was thinking of doing a screenshot lets play of my planned nuzlocke run, for some reason. It would've been, probably, the dorkiest thing I've done in my entire adult life. But there's no way I'm gonna do it with photos of the screen.

Holy shit, Mauville is a giant indoor mall now. Rad.

I rolled through Wattson's gym with a Shedinja that nobody could damage. It was hilarious.

Okay, you (pocket) monsters, I've got Omega Ruby, and as soon as I can trade online, there's gonna be a Meowth party ALL UP IN THIS SHIT.

Also, to celebrate the launch, if you connect and get a Mystery Gift from now until sometime in January, you get a shiny Beldum holding a mega stone.

I just caught a shiny Taillow! That didn't take long at all.

Dammit Tegan, how do you do it!? In all of the 1,000+ hours I've spent across the various Pokémon games, I've caught a grand total of 3 shinies (And that includes a long time spent using the Poké Radar in Diamond, which didn't turn up anything).

I've got Omega Ruby sitting here, but I got Smash Bros for Wii U at the same time, so I haven't started it yet.

Hey, I didn't see a single shiny until X/Y. Taillow is the first one I've caught without having any kind of modifier on the shiny rate.

I beat the postgame today! I fought a dragon and rode it into space!

It looks like the Battle Resort is tailor-made for breeding (there's a second daycare, a circular route that works just like the tower in Lumiose, and the IV-checker guy is right there too), so I guess I'll fill out the last of my national dex and then start breeding shinies again!

I've got Omega Ruby sitting here, but I got Smash Bros for Wii U at the same time, so I haven't started it yet.

Yyyep. This also describes me.

Hey, I didn't see a single shiny until X/Y. Taillow is the first one I've caught without having any kind of modifier on the shiny rate.

I beat the postgame today! I fought a dragon and rode it into space!

It looks like the Battle Resort is tailor-made for breeding (there's a second daycare, a circular route that works just like the tower in Lumiose, and the IV-checker guy is right there too), so I guess I'll fill out the last of my national dex and then start breeding shinies again!

Oh, right! I guess I'm not doing so bad, then. And my Shiny Altaria will now have a Mega Evolution.

How do you change the shiny rates in X/Y, then? Is it by tipping people, like the rumours suggested?

I'm just about to start Omega Ruby!

All the tipping did was give you a small boost to stylishness. The default shiny encounter rate in Gen VI was bumped from 1/8192 to 1/4096, plus it's improved by an unknown amount with the Shiny Charm and chain fishing and horde battles have high shiny rates. I breed most of my shinies using the Masuda Method, which still gives something like a 5x likelihood bonus.

Just picked up Ruby yesterday and I have to say this is the most fun I've ever had playing Pokemon. I've been playing since the start of the franchise and had a hard time getting through the Y because it finally began to feel repetitive. However. with the Pokenav mechanic implemented in Ruby, the game feels refreshing. As a kid, I always wanted to hunt for specific Pokemon and I wished the environmental battles weren't so random. Now that I can search for specific pokemon and compare abilities/move sets, it feels like a new game. Moreover, I enjoy "completing" an area by finding all the pokemon there are in a specific area. In my opinion, this mechanic takes out some of the guessing work of choosing a pokemon without taking away the novelty the franchise has created. All in all, I'm loving this game.  

Would anyone be willing to trade me a Reshiram? It's the only one I'm missing from the National Dex, besides some Event Legendaries.

I got my Oval and Shiny Charms and bred my first shiny of ORAS! It's a pentaperfect Gallade I'll be using to catch alla dem legendaries (Heal Pulse/Hypnosis/False Swipe/Swords Dance). I'm gonna try soft resetting for shiny legendaries, because I'm an idiot.

I've played long enough to get the fifth gym badge, and although the global trade stuff is introduced fairly early, I have yet to get a Meowth because PEOPLE ARE CRAZY and want all sorts of legendary bullshit in trade.

I'm not happy.

I raised my new shiny Gallade to Level 100 and gave it the perfect moveset for catching things (Heal Pulse, Hypnosis, False Swipe, and Swords Dance). Now to start soft-resetting for shiny legendaries!

I've talked about this on the podcast, but I really can't stop playing. I'm about 68 hours in, currently determined to catch every single Pokemon in the game (and trade for at least most of the others). And find every hidden item. 

And then, finally, I will check out some of this breeding business!

halp i cant get this amiibo thing to work

post-8476-0-66586800-1418429302_thumb.jpeg

Gimme your friend code and I will Meowth you.

I think we might already be 3DS friends, but just in case (and if anybody else wants it): 5429 7506 5798

I'll put my friend code here as well: 3780-9031-7475. I need more Pokéfriends! None of my existing friends have played the new games yet.

I'm not far in at all, having not reached the first gym yet, but I've got the majority of my Pokémon traded over previous games. It's not as comprehensive as Tegan's collection, but I've got somewhere between 550 and 600, so if there are any Pokémon anyone needs I can probably rustle something up!

I think we might already be 3DS friends, but just in case (and if anybody else wants it): 5429 7506 5798

I just hatched your Meowth. Hop online!

I'll put my friend code here as well: 3780-9031-7475. I need more Pokéfriends! None of my existing friends have played the new games yet.

Added. Mine's in my signature.

I've talked about this on the podcast, but I really can't stop playing. I'm about 68 hours in, currently determined to catch every single Pokemon in the game (and trade for at least most of the others). And find every hidden item. 

And then, finally, I will check out some of this breeding business!

Protip: if you're gonna get really into breeding; you'll want the Destiny Knot, which is sometimes handed over by the Young Couple on Sea Mauville after a rematch; and the Everstone, which is in Granite Cave (and also sometimes held by wild Geodude, Graveler, Roggenrola, and Boldore).

Protip: if you're gonna get really into breeding; you'll want the Destiny Knot, which is sometimes handed over by the Young Couple on Sea Mauville after a rematch; and the Everstone, which is in Granite Cave (and also sometimes held by wild Geodude, Graveler, Roggenrola, and Boldore).

Just gonna piggyback on this post to say the Destiny Knot allows parents to pass down 5 IVs (chosen out of the 12 that the parents have together) to the offspring instead of the usual 3, while Everstone held by the female parent will ensure it will pass on its nature to the offspring. The ability of the offspring has an 80% chance to be the same as the female parent's.