Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Demo launches on October 21st and will have content that carries forward to the full game. To get the demo, you need to go to Pokemon.com and set up a Trainer Club Account by October 19, then get a code out of the newsletter (so make sure you opt in for emails). There will likely be other methods, but this is the only one that's been confirmed.

The demo is out in Japan, and new Megas for Glalie and Steelix have already been revealed. Glalie gets Refrigerate and Steelix gets Sand Force.

mn0BPkP.jpg

I have two spare demo codes if anyone needs one? The fact I got four without doing anything would imply they're hardly in short supply but you never know.

Must just be a Europe thing then. They DO love us! I got one from Nintendolife through Twitter, one each from ShopTo and Amazon for buying/preordering previous Pokémon titles and one from Nintendo maybe for registering one before?

I don't know what I was expecting to be honest but it was more than 15 minutes of content, ha! Still on the fence about this, it comes out the same day as Persona Q and Little Big Planet but it is the most Christmassy feeling of games due out before the year end.

Wait, what? Is the demo already out in EU or something?

It's one of those annoying 'special' demos Nintendo have started doing. So you need to get a download code or you're outta luck! No idea why they think that's a good move...

There are six ways for North Americans to get the ORAS demo, none of which are "just go to the eshop and download it because it's 2014."

• Codes will be distributed at select cinema locations nationwide from Nov. 7–Nov. 13 (while supplies last).
  • Check with your local retailer during the holidays to find out about special demo code giveaways (while supplies last).
  • Get a code with your purchase of the new Pokémon Art Academy game (out Oct. 24) when you buy from Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS or 2DS system.
  • You’ll also get a code with your purchase of one of two classic Pokémon games coming to the Virtual Console service on Nintendo eShop: the Pokémon Puzzle Challenge game (out Nov. 6) or the Pokémon Trading Card Game (out Nov. 13). You'll find your free demo code on your eShop receipt (download codes available while supplies last).
  • Codes will be emailed the week of Oct. 31 to select Nintendo customers with Nintendo Network IDs who have signed up to receive promotional emails from Nintendo.
  • Codes will also be distributed during the holiday mall tour from Nov. 24‒Dec. 21 at 16 different locations throughout the nation. Talk to a staff member to try out Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or any of the featured Nintendo 3DS games to receive two codes—one for you, and one for a friend (while supplies last). Check back soon for a list of tour locations.

I've played a bit of the demo and I must say, it's rather oddly done. Basically you're given tiny little bite-size "adventures" that end very quickly and you're given a trailer at the end of each one. Then the game resets and you're given a new "adventure" to do, which again is very short. I'm not sure how many of these adventures there are and if the later ones are longer, but I got bored after the fourth time the game restarted and the same trailer was shown to me (fortunately you can skip these).

Might try it a bit longer since I haven't come across Mega Steelix yet and I may as well get it.

I got an email from Amazon with a code for the demo, due to having pre-ordered Pokémon X. Played it a bit, and it seems nice enough, although I don't really care about the story stuff, which is basically all it seemed to show. Although it did reveal that the haven't fixed the bad 3D in battles, and the slowdown that you get from turning it on, which is really disappointing.

Mega Beedrill (YESSSSSS) and Pidgeot just got revealed; Mega Latios and Latias finally got confirmed (we already knew they existed because some hacker found them in X/Y) along with the return of the Eon Ticket item that lets you catch the one not found in your game; and for some reason there's a two-page spread with the Gen IV and V legendaries, so I imagine they'll be available in some way.

Mega Beedrill! All of my prayers have been answered. I've always been a Beedrill fan, in spite of the fact that it's not very good. Also good to see Mega Sableye!

Got my demo code!

Sure is Pokemon (I don't the demo really gives enough to say anything other than that), but the addition of TIP TOEING makes this game a shoein for GOTY

Edit: okay, that might be generalizing a *little bit* too much, I'll give some way too detailed thoughts

UI/Visual Presentation:

Good

- Walking environments are largely unchanged from what they looked like in X/Y. This is good! X/Y looked great in that regard.

- Flight views/shots are nice as well; the terrible overhead shot of the garden in Parfum Palace is not indicative of how overhead shots will be in this game, which was my immediate fear while replaying X/Y after the OR/AS demo announce.

- The new evolution screen is great! There's a nice pizzazz there that I dig, and it seems less "strobey" than X/Y's evolution screen.

Bad

- Oh my *god* the buttons in battles are hideous, please get rid of that jagged nonsense. Alternately, give the player choices to change how the bottom screen buttons look, because that BAM POW COMICS AREN'T JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE style makes me want to vomit

Combat Mechanics

- Sure is Pokemon, not a lot changed from X/Y here, at least not that's visible on Playthrough 1 of the demo. That's not good or bad, because the core concept of Pokemon battles has been the same since Red/Blue/Green, and Double/Triple battles haven't changed since... whenever those happened (Pearl/Diamond?)

All The Other Stuff

Good

- Dialogue, actually? "Can you see all this midriff" had me chucklin', and the Groan Worthy lines were not as bad as they've been previous.

- Character design is nice! Aqua/Magma hasn't changed much, but the Aqua Pirate design remains my favorite Bad Guy design in the franchise.

Bad

- THOSE GODDAMN BUTTONS I SWEAR UGGHUGHH

What does the demo have in it? Haven't played a Pokemon since pearl and I haven't finished one since red. Does it let you play through the first gym or what? Can't decide whether I want to try it out or give my code to my Pokemon lovin friend.

The demo is a bunch of small weird mission things; the first one doesn't have a gym, but has you go up against some Magma/Aqua goons. They're seemingly designed to teach you what's going on with the New Pokemons if you haven't played a Pokemon in Many Moons, so it might actually be right up your alley.

Plus you get stuff to transfer to the full game, including a level 40 Glalie holding its Mega Stone.

Sure is Pokemon, not a lot changed from X/Y here, at least not that's visible on Playthrough 1 of the demo. That's not good or bad, because the core concept of Pokemon battles has been the same since Red/Blue/Green, and Double/Triple battles haven't changed since... whenever those happened (Pearl/Diamond?)

Doubles were Ruby/Sapphire, Triples were Black/White (White had more Triple Battles, Black had more Rotation Battles).

X/Y brought in Sky Battles, Horde Battles, and Inversion Battles, but those are all kind of terrible and fortunately incredibly rare.

Yeah I haven't run across any Triples or Rotations in the OR/AS demo yet. (also, to be 100% honest, Black/White was when I stopped playing until X/Y :/)

Sky Battles I don't mind - they're limited and goofy - but Horde Battles are the literal spawn of Pokemon Satan and I want them to die in a fire.

The stuff you get to transfer is mostly inconsequential so far outside the Glalie; it's Potions and other consumables. The Glalie is definitely the big one, and I think between that, the Gamestop Diancie promotion going on right now, and transferring Pokemon from X/Y (don't make it be via Pokemon Bank Nintendo, please) OR/AS is going to be a pretty quick march to endgame.

Horde Battles are a godsend for EV training. They also have a higher than normal shiny encounter rate, if you're some kind of pleb who catches their shinies instead of meticulously breeding perfect ones.

Played through the Demo ten times (after which point the game stops counting and just goes 'I feel like I've seen you more times than I can count or some nonsense), can confirm the following transfers after the "main quest":

- Glalie (w/ Mega Stone)

- 10 Poke Balls

- 10 Heal Balls

- 5 Heart Scales

In addition, you can keep playing, and apparently there's something new once a day, which is some weird incentive to get you to run through it once a day. The quests past that point seem to be randomly generated (e.g. go to <insert island> and find <insert pokemon>). In addition, I'm trying to figure out exactly which Pokemon are present in the demo. Insofar as I can tell, you (the player character) will *always* have Glalie, Blaziken, Sceptile, and Swampert after Mission 1, which gives you the option of Combusken, Grovyle, or Marshtomp (you won't get those as an option again).

In addition to those four I've seen Volbeat, Shroomish, Swellow, Numel, Toriyama, and two other I can't remember (Sharpedo and Houndour maybe?)

This demo is gonna be available to everyone before the game releases, right? It's not gonna be limited distribution demo code only the entire time, right?

In addition to those four I've seen Volbeat, Shroomish, Swellow, Numel, Toriyama, and two other I can't remember (Sharpedo and Houndour maybe?)

Best possible slip of Hariyama.

I've encountered a Tropius, and Steven once sent me on a mission to find a Skitty. I had to redo it and it changed to a Poochyena. Also I think the villains have used Carvanha and Camerupt.

Gamefreak, that's how you get me to succumb to your now-annualised franchise. Gotta get them Musketeers.

How is the psychic omnipresence of Prof. Oak allowing this?!?

EDIT:

Stolen from Reddit response to this very image:

519.jpg

Really tempted by this as Amazon sent me a code which brings the download version down to about £20 and Pokemon games are literally never available for under £30 here. I could be playing it now, hnngh.

Disappointed to see that the slowdown is still present on a New 3DS though, there's no excuse for that at all.