clyde

Not-Game Doodles

I'm going to try and make some crap. I thought other people might want to also. I think that what makes crap different from product is that crap isn't accessible. In order to negate frustration, links included in this thread will include a description of what is in the application and what is not in the application that might be expected. That way people will only waste a small quantity of their time looking at what is there without making efforts to discover what is not. 

Please include a whimsical title and a description of what to (and what not to expect).

Temple-Room of the Rad by clyde

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92741283/Doodles/5-27-14/Gooses.html

I was playing with making textures in MSpaint and something from the asset-store called "Primitives Pro".

I like how the walls have the geometric patterns that covered kid clothing in the early 90's

-If you go outside of the box you will fall forever with no way to restart.

-There is little collision

-There is nothing of significance to see.

-There is no sound

-The only possible interaction is moving the first-person camera around.

yeah ok

Here's a little thing I made a while back. I think initially I wanted to prototype computers with working screens that would accept keyboard inputs, but I pretty quickly went wildly off into making some weird environments with computer screens in them.

RIDE IN AN AMUSEMENT PARK by dinossaursssssss

http://maximum-extreme.com/ride/ride.html

- I never actually made the computers accept input

- There's a teleporter in the bright spots of light (behind you when you spawn)

- The "coolest" area is the third one, which features a wacky Source-engine-style 3D skybox.

- There are 3 areas

- I think I had watched the Matrix about a week before making this

clyde, are you inside a zebra or something in Room of the Rad? What is that weird shape on the left side of the screen?

There is a certain something about wandering around sparse 3D rooms and being surrounded by Bill Hicks quotations. The last room reminded me of a scene from Cerebus. 

clyde, are you inside a zebra or something in Room of the Rad? What is that weird shape on the left side of the screen?

I wanted something to be attached to the camera. I was trying to figure out how to use the transparent materials. I think it has to do with having two materials, one black and white and the other being a color. 

Looking up and seeing the moon with computer screens surrounding float by was pretty great, Dinosaurssssss.

I spent last weekend trying to learn Unity stuff, so may I present:

Wizard Battle by Laxan

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21888476/WizardBattle_0.1/WizardBattle_0.1.html

-Trying to make a modular magic system where spells interact in cool ways.
-3 mouse buttons and wasd are only controls
-WARNING there are some sounds, so maybe turn down the volume beforehand.
-Some collision stuff
-All stock assets for the moment
-One basic AI who will shoot you (He is an engineer model with a cube on his head, who spins around horizontally. I got too tired to fix him :fart: )

Full list of spell combinations and other notes:

L-Click: Wind Blast

R-Click: Flamethrower

M-Click: Ice Wall

-Pressing wind blast while using flamethrower sends out a fireball.

-Wind blast an ice wall to send it flying (maybe ring-out other wizards in the future?). I like conjuring ice walls in the air, and then blasting so they don't get stuck in the ground.

-You can alternate between jumping and making ice walls below you to fly around and get back on to the ledge.

-You can shoot the moon.

EDIT: Is this a not-not-game? Should I post it somewhere else instead?

@Laxan, your game is cleary a not-game-like. Or is it a not-not-game-like-like?

@Laxan, Deflecting fire with fire was actually very satisfying for me. I like the idea of fire-balls being like billard-balls. Also, the title being in the background in such an omnimous pose was a great reminder that this was in fact a Wizard Battle (the thunder sounds really nailed this in). It was pretty awesome.

EDIT: Is this a not-not-game? Should I post it somewhere else instead?

Insecurity (even fake insecurity) over something not being not-gamey enough is my favourite thing to happen this week.

Insecurity (even fake insecurity) over something not being not-gamey enough is my favourite thing to happen this week.

Don't worry, I've taken the necessary steps and turned myself in just in case.

@Clyde, The wind deflecting fireballs was an accidental thing, but yeah there was something satisfying about it so I left it there!

And the title floating in the air was one of the first things I ever did in the Unity engine and I sort of became blind to its weirdness over the hours spent looking at it. V0.2 will change it to read "Congrats Nick" instead. Thanks guys for messing around with it!

EDIT: Oh hahahaha this is a new thing. Congrats Nick Congrats Nick Congrats Nick (good job Tobacco).

While learning how to use Processing's Minim audio library for another thing I'm working on, I got sidetracked and made this:

It's playing clips that I cut from a Charles Mingus song in a random order.

I'm just digging into unity, but here's two not games for you:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4L_LeDaVHWHSjBjRjN3ek5UU1AyZ3Q1ek50a3kxUjB5TDFr/edit?usp=sharing

This is just a cube that giggles... walk up to it. I promise it's not creepy. I made this to play around with the reverb zone in unity, along with making a very simple controller and monkeying around with some shaders. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok3bzexa6gwtmx4/builds.7z

This is a thing that I made to play around with inter-component communication, and playing audio clips. I was interested in how music should be played in a unity game, and also wanted to mess with terrain, triggers, particle effects, wind, trees, grass and skyboxes.

There are four areas: palms, floating smokey rocks, a grove of trees (that are apparently magical) and some houses. Each of these areas contains a trigger which will influence the music that plays. The music is quantized (past tense of the quantization process?) to 117 beats per minute and will only play new clips at the 24th beat. The music is also all .wav format, so the demo is WAAAAAAY bigger than it needs to be. For reference, this is what the idea is pulled from: http://www.inbflat.net/

A note: The music can be very loud, and play abruptly, as it's pure randomness besides the quantization process / where you stand influencing what plays. Maybe turn down your speakers, and then take a stroll around.

Enjoy - or not, they're not games.

... walk up to it. I promise it's not creepy.

This makes you a liar. 

Oh that's right - it is totally unnerving. It turns out all it takes is a little reverb on a giggling audio clip.

That was exactly my take-away from the experience.

but also this weird thing I made for Kinect

Neat! Are the white waves just moving from back to front when the volumes hits a threshold, or is there something more complicated going on there? Just curious 'cause this is really cool.

I would like to report a bug...

I've chosen a more whimsical name for my not game doodle per the rule, and included instructions: http://panzorfork.itch.io/calm-simulator

The bug you encountered may have been was user error. As such, I hope the instructions on the new page will resolve it.

but also this weird thing I made for Kinect

That's mega cool!

I've chosen a more whimsical name for my not game doodle per the rule, and included instructions: http://panzorfork.itch.io/calm-simulator

The bug you encountered may have been was user error. As such, I hope the instructions on the new page will resolve it.

I see a grey screen which changes in height if I move the mouse and I hear giggles. I no longer get a sense that I am in any sort of space.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see that it is the horizon.

2nd Edit: Whoa. Nice use of the doppler effect.

I see a grey screen which changes in height if I move the mouse and I hear giggles. I no longer get a sense that I am in any sort of space.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see that it is the horizon.

2nd Edit: Whoa. Nice use of the doppler effect.

Thanks! Unity's reverb zone and AudioSource make for some really calming sound effects.

Neat! Are the white waves just moving from back to front when the volumes hits a threshold, or is there something more complicated going on there? Just curious 'cause this is really cool.