Jake

Idle Thumbs 159: Wilson's Ghoulish Countenance

Look how everyone just let you get away with a dog pun, you cretin. 

Look what you've unleashed here. Good lord.

Look how everyone just let you get away with a dog pun, you cretin.

I stared long into the abyss, and the abyss stared back into me.

The only pun here I could find was changing abyss to ibis, which is a bird, and felt not in the spirit of the thread.

I stared long into the abyss, and the abyss stared back into me.

I'm enjoying Chris going apeshit over inadvertently starting a pun thread, and Sean's just storking the fire.

Yeah, seems like puns make Chris a bit batty. As for me, these puns are making me puma pants! But I guess that's irrelephant right now... 

More TF2 stuff because it's apparently the only thing I can speak knowledgably about.

So they are still creating new TF2 items with gameplay effects that can be hard to get?  I know there were some when they first started with items, but I didn't realize they were still adding them.  That game must have so many loadouts by now.

Both dota and cs:go are competetive games where you couldn't really introduce stuff like that.

Although even in LoL, certainly a competitive game, players only have access to their purchased heroes during the draft phase which is certainly going to change the way matches play out.

After they finished all the class specific stuff, they started adding a bunch of other things that were usually tied to pre-orders from other games and eventually made their way into the drop system.  They haven't introduced a new weapon type in a while, at this point it's mostly skins and hats.  The competitive side of TF2 prohibits the use of items in matches so it's not really a concern there.  There's also a mode in TF2 called Medieval Mode that limits the number of usable items to those that fit a "medieval" theme.  This mostly means melee weapons, but a few projectiles are also usable such as a crossbow for the Medic or a bow and arrow for the Sniper.  And like Twig said, getting the basic weapon types is fairly easy, it mostly just requires time and patience if you don't want to trade.  The things that people want to trade for are the special weapon qualities like the gold plated ones, or "genuine" quality items that are only obtained by preordering a game, etc.  Those differences are cosmetic only but that's what people will pay for.

I'd love to get back to playing it. I just can't talk my friends into it. ):

I'll play!

Okay you're one person. But it's not just people. I need a server I can play on regularly. I can't deal with hopping around to different servers. I want a community. ):

I get that.  I used to frequent a series of servers belonging to a community my friend introduced me to.  I even paid to be a premium member for a while.  During that time, I couldn't imagine playing on a different server, to the point that if their servers were full I would just quit the game altogether rather than tempt fate in the wild.

If we could dig up 4 other people, the MvM co-op mode is fun and almost completely server blind.

As for me, these puns are making me puma pants!

This is the only worthwhile pun in this thread.

I get that.  I used to frequent a series of servers belonging to a community my friend introduced me to.  I even paid to be a premium member for a while.  During that time, I couldn't imagine playing on a different server, to the point that if their servers were full I would just quit the game altogether rather than tempt fate in the wild.

If we could dig up 4 other people, the MvM co-op mode is fun and almost completely server blind.

I'm just a newbie to the forums but I'd be up for that. Most of the time I just play random valve servers either with a friend or two or going solo. I thought about try something different and dipped my toes in competitive but that just showed me that even as a pyro I need better aim.

For the longest time everyone had thought that ID Software had given Wisdom Tree the Wolf3D source code as revenge for Nintendo make ID censor Wolf3D on the SNES, the book Masters of Doom even says it, but apparently Wisdom Tree licensed the engine like any other developer would. Oh well. Apparently it's also been rereleased so you can still buy the game!

http://pikointeractive.com/store.html#!/~/product/category=9430344&id=30897400

And Joe Biden was mentioned in this podcast, which is enough of a reason for me to post this, which I had just found in an article on PC Gamer

I'm just a newbie to the forums but I'd be up for that. Most of the time I just play random valve servers either with a friend or two or going solo. I thought about try something different and dipped my toes in competitive but that just showed me that even as a pyro I need better aim.

I'd like to play some forum TF2 / MvM as well, if we can find a common time to suit.

I suggest we adjourn to the appropriate multiplayer networking thread

I was out running listening to the cast and the Super Noah's Ark thing made me stop and double-over at an embankment because I was laughing so hard. I literally would have listened to another hour of just that dumb music, those stupid noises, and the occasional laugh by Danielle or Chris. Theatre of the goddamn mind. 

More TF2 stuff because it's apparently the only thing I can speak knowledgably about.

After they finished all the class specific stuff, they started adding a bunch of other things that were usually tied to pre-orders from other games and eventually made their way into the drop system.  They haven't introduced a new weapon type in a while, at this point it's mostly skins and hats.  The competitive side of TF2 prohibits the use of items in matches so it's not really a concern there.  There's also a mode in TF2 called Medieval Mode that limits the number of usable items to those that fit a "medieval" theme.  This mostly means melee weapons, but a few projectiles are also usable such as a crossbow for the Medic or a bow and arrow for the Sniper.  And like Twig said, getting the basic weapon types is fairly easy, it mostly just requires time and patience if you don't want to trade.  The things that people want to trade for are the special weapon qualities like the gold plated ones, or "genuine" quality items that are only obtained by preordering a game, etc.  Those differences are cosmetic only but that's what people will pay for.

I'll play!

Competitive allows some special weapons, depending on the league and format. Almost everyone allows the kritzkrieg, basically no one allows the Pomson, everything else is somewhere in between. There are a few items that are basically straight upgrades from stock -- maybe there's some hidden crit bonus, but I doubt it, and generally play on nocrits servers anyway -- but overwhelmingly stock weapons tend to be the best overall choice.

I'd also be into playing, since I tend to put an hour in every day or two anyway.

Chris and especially Sean seemed pretty against the idea of referential humor in general, but I think it can be done well. If you guys ever have Zach on the podcast again, you should bring it up, he seems like someone who thinks a lot about why things are funny, and KoL has a lot of what I think of as referential jokes. 

Chris and especially Sean seemed pretty against the idea of referential humor in general, but I think it can be done well. If you guys ever have Zach on the podcast again, you should bring it up, he seems like someone who thinks a lot about why things are funny, and KoL has a lot of what I think of as referential jokes. 

I'm not hardline "against" it, it's just not a style of humor that generally appeals to me in a non-conversational setting.

in a non-conversational setting.

That's an important distinction for me. (Or at least my interpretation of it - I don't mean to speak for Chris.) Someone making an inside reference or cultural callback in something, extemporaneously and conversationally, is a whole different thing from, say, an enemy in a video game exploding in a cloud of bacon ninja pirate whatever. In those constructed contexts, when the reference is the joke, I don't find it to be a joke.

So how did you guys feel about the Idle Thumbs references in Gone Home?