Sign in to follow this  
Dr Wookie

Anyone remotely space geeky should check out this Elite Dangerous alpha video :D!

The title of this thread puts me off more than posting about it more than once. Anything "geeky" is probably not aimed at my demographic. 

That's quite a geeky avatar you have there, posting on a video game forum, just saying ;)!

The world is full of geeky awesomeness, it seems a shame to miss out :)

To be honest, if even the word geeky turns you off, then ED is probably not the game for you since it's pretty hardcore. To make the most out of it you need to deal with movement in 6 degrees of freedom, balance power between shields, drives, and weapons; manage your loadouts in multiple fire groups, and slingshot round planets at super light speed. Really dedicated people would need a HOTAS controller setup and oculus rift or trackir! It's nothing like as crazy as some sims I've seen where it takes 10-20 minutes to even get going, and you can get along pretty well with a 360 gamepad, but it is by no means casual

Yeah, I'd just been talking about this with a few other forum members. I have no problem with Dr Wookie and enjoy his contributions here and elsewhere. My only wish, besides me being the kind of person who'd still be able to sink a lifetime into Elite: Dangerous, is that they'd all be in one thread instead multiple ones all sinking to the bottom.

Agreed, I think some suspicion is ok but I have been interested in this info and support the use of smilies. :)

You're welcome!

I'm honestly not trying to sell the ideas of the game to people who aren't at least a bit interested, and I actively advise against paying extra to gain early access. I am only describing the things that have excited me.

The main reason I get so voluble about it is because the game is so much bigger than I initially expected based on the kickstarter goal, about $2 million. That doesn't buy much of a game these days, so I was thinking we were going to get maybe an update of the original game to run on modern machines.  But the developers have injected a lot more cash in to the project to make something that is considerably more ambitious. 

I know I'm a little late here but I just want to say that based on what I've seen, I think Dr. Wookie is an alright dude and I don't think he really deserved such an outpouring of harsh comments. I can understand the initial apprehension but it seems pretty clear to me that he means well.

Oh, man.. I didn't mean to start a witch hunt! I was *actually* curious if he was affiliated, because of the threads he's started being about Elite.

And the only thing that bothers me is that it isn't just all in one Elite thread, because there's some good discussion in the other threads that would be nice to have everytime we talk more about Elite.

BUT ALRIGHT! That's all. Wookie's still a stand-up guy.

:getmecoat

Oh, man.. I didn't mean to start a witch hunt! I was *actually* curious if he was affiliated, because of the threads he's started being about Elite.

And the only thing that bothers me is that it isn't just all in one Elite thread, because there's some good discussion in the other threads that would be nice to have everytime we talk more about Elite.

BUT ALRIGHT! That's all. Wookie's still a stand-up guy.

:getmecoat

BigJerKO affiliated with space-puritans.

Wasn't there a Star Trek game where you controlled everything from the bridge? I played the hell out of that. It was on a million CDs if i recall correctly.

BigJerKO affiliated with space-puritans.

Wasn't there a Star Trek game where you controlled everything from the bridge? I played the hell out of that. It was on a million CDs if i recall correctly.

I think there's a new one: 

Am I the only one who played the shit out of the old space fighting sims in the 90s but for some reason can't get excited for these? Like I had some super sweet Logitech peripherals and everything which for me was a big deal.

It's why I keep reading these threads, like maybe I have an old gear in my head that could engage and get me interested. But so far no, I really just don't find them very appealing and kind of wonder when that changed for me.

No, it was pre 2000. I've been looking at wikipedian since trying to find it. I know it is pre 2000, as i borrowed it off a guy in secondary school. It looks very like Star Trek: Bridge Commander, but set around the original series time i think. It deffo didn't have picard in it, and the graphics weren't as swish as that one.

Am I the only one who played the shit out of the old space fighting sims in the 90s but for some reason can't get excited for these? Like I had some super sweet Logitech peripherals and everything which for me was a big deal.

Elite's charm is different than Wing Commander, etc.

Dr. Wookie's video was just him buying some tea off of a menu, leaving a space station, flying to another space station, and selling the tea.

That's everything a classic Elite player could ask for!  That and crashing into the side of the space station or getting shot down by space cops.

Oh I need to check out the context here, my bad. I thought that was just a subset of the gameplay.

It IS just a subset. There are plenty of other videos on youtube that show the combat, stealth mechanics etc. so I decided to look a only the stuff that is new to the latest alpha build.

By the way, here is the latest dev diary... it shows off the things I wanted to in a much more succinct manner! If I was a shill,  I would have waited for this... much more awesome ;)