tegan

The E3 Retrospectapalooza

It had a 'Dead Island' effect on me.

Meaning "Deliberately emotionally manipulative attempt to get your attention"? Or more of an "Impressive trailer with no gameplay, implies bland game" effect? It's an Adventure/Puzzler, so gameplay should have fewer surprises than Dead Island.

Here's a preview article from last year, if you're interested.

Man, Ubisoft cannot stop shooting themselves in the foot

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/11/5801330/far-cry-4-women-ubisoft

Okay, and it's double bad when the animation director for AC3 (no longer an Ubi employee), responds to their claims like this:

Earlier today, Naughty Dog animator and former Assasin's Creed 3 animation director Jonathan Cooper told us that animating a woman character should take "a day or two's work," instead of what St. Andre said required the replacement of more than 8,000 animations to do so. Cooper said that male animations could still work on a female form.

"I think what you want to do is just replace a handful of animations," Cooper said. "Key animations. We target all the male animations onto the female character and just give her her own unique walks, runs, anything that can give character."

Meaning "Deliberately emotionally manipulative attempt to get your attention"? Or more of an "Impressive trailer with no gameplay, implies bland game" effect?

The latter is a good point, but I was thinking more along the lines of "the most emotion this game will ever muster is in the trailer". At least it isn't a WW1 themed Metal Slug, which is what I was expecting.

I get the feeling the big sticking point for AC No Ladies Allowed In The Revolution is the various costumes that no-one really finds particularly exciting. Wouldn't be surprised if the big difference between the assassins in co-op was the heads, and the bodies were identical geometry.

Glad to see people are still shitheads when commenting on feminist gaming articles.

fanwceQ.png

"although checkers make me uncomfortable because I don't like the idea of half the pieces being black."

Glad to see people are still shitheads when commenting on feminist gaming articles.

fanwceQ.png

"although checkers make me uncomfortable because I don't like the idea of half the pieces being black."

But what if they were sexy sexy scantily clad females with ridiculous body physics?  Surely that would make it even more fun.

Good news for that dude! In Hollywood, crowds have three dudes for every one lady. So he'll only have to shoot 25% females. PROBLEM SOLVED.

(Numbers may not be accurate, don't care don't care na na na.)

So sounds like that cruel Metroid rumour didn't pan out. Who was the dick who started that?

fanwceQ.png

I genuinely don't even see what the problem is for the guy here, it reads like a parody complaint.

I genuinely don't even see what the problem is for the guy here, it reads like a parody complaint.

No-one wants to face up to thinking that slaying realistically rendered, gender normative crowds with gibsploding force is a fun thing to do, let alone begin working through the identity trauma that such a realisation could cause on a personal, cultural and international economic scale.

Eh, so, to get back on the Assasins' Creed stuff (sorry):

If I understood it correctly, the co-op option is explained to each player that they are Arno and the other players are different assasins helping out that are actually the same model wearing a different jacket, but since 90% of their body is covered by clothes and the chinline by itself isn't really enough to positively identify someone Ubisoft figured nobody would really care apart from making funny Youtube videos where two guys dress up like each other. If that's the case (and if it isn't, I don't quite get what else they're gonna do), then why didn't they say so and add that apart from animations, they'd probably need to rewrite the story and re-record quite a lot of dialogue?

Eh, so, to get back on the Assasins' Creed stuff (sorry):

If I understood it correctly, the co-op option is explained to each player that they are Arno and the other players are different assasins helping out that are actually the same model wearing a different jacket, but since 90% of their body is covered by clothes and the chinline by itself isn't really enough to positively identify someone Ubisoft figured nobody would really care apart from making funny Youtube videos where two guys dress up like each other. If that's the case (and if it isn't, I don't quite get what else they're gonna do), then why didn't they say so and add that apart from animations, they'd probably need to rewrite the story and re-record quite a lot of dialogue?

To be fair, they did say that it was more than just the animations.

It's double the animations, it's double the voices, all that stuff and double the visual assets.  Especially because we have customizable assassins.  It was really a lot of extra production work.

Not that it's an excuse for lack of foresight or poor planning.

Gentlemen don't shoot women, they protect them. Or, failing that, they are motivated to action by their failure to protect them and subsequently rewarded with a new, better one.

Edit: /s for clarity

I'm awaiting a statement saying that they can't put the generic female on sale because it's more expensive to produce.

Everyone knows the generic female costs more to support than the generic male.

Ugh, I felt really gross typing that.

Just a heads up; now that E3's over, I changed the thread title.

I think I was right with my prediction; the biggest surprise of the show was a remake announcement.

Just a heads up; now that E3's over, I changed the thread title.

At first I thought this was a new thread and I was like "sixteen pages already?!" Then I worked it out.

I was super excited about the New Rainbow Six until I found out it will most likely be multi-player only.

I would love a L4D style co-op rainbow six, they used to do this sort of thing with the older games.

I was super excited about the New Rainbow Six until I found out it will most likely be multi-player only.

I would love a L4D style co-op rainbow six, they used to do this sort of thing with the older games.

They've mentioned stuff like terrorist hunt, so there will probably at least be humans vs. computer-controlled bad people in some form or other. Multiplayer-only doesn't necessarily mean it will all be adversarial. At least I hope not!

Did anyone notice during Microsoft's presentation that the Kinect wasn't mentioned at all?