tegan

The E3 Retrospectapalooza

Adzu looked exactly like an Underwater Journey, and then I find out it's being made by some ex-Journey people.  I love the setting, but all of the little vignettes had such specific camera angles, makes me wonder how linear it's going to be.  Also given Flower/Journey's heavy-handedness with themes, here's hoping they're crafting something a bit more understated.

I loved how rough No Man's Guy looked.  Maybe it was the quality of the video, but the animations were all a bit stiff, the textures on the outer space stuff we pretty blah, and you can see the mountains being drawn in the first time the ship leaves the planet.  The graphical roughness of the demo actually made it all more believable.  I got more excited for it because it felt like Hello Games were actually showing us what they've got.  I don't love not knowing what we're actually going to do, though.  Hopefully they talk more about that as the show goes on.

Excited to have a reason to play through Grim Fandango!

Not really psyched by much more than that, though.  Was surprised (and personally disappointed) to see so much co-op.

"Remember Vib Ribbon? Well here's Mortal Kombat 10" will go down in history as one of the all-time classic E3 stage blunders.

did this actually happen? I have not kept up to date at all with e3.

Also Star Fox WiiU. Ohhh yisss.

I got the impression that Adzu would be a 2d game, there was a bit when the diver was swimming amongst whales which was definitely 2d at any rate, it may flip between styles

After the megatons of earlier today (Arkham Knight, Grim Fandango, Mirror's Edge), Nintendo fell a little flat. Mostly stuff we already knew and a few fun new games that are probably not for me (Woollen World Yoshi, Splatoon). If you enjoy adventuring and exploring, only the new Zelda that got glimpsed ticked that box, but that's not out until 2015 (if already then). Metroid was missing and no price drop.

I've heard there'll be a 3DS show later on, hopefully that'll remedy my lack of Nintendo enthusiasm. The show as a whole was pretty funny though, the in-between bits were thoughtfully made.

So for weird E3 announcements, the Bayonetta complete package for the WiiU lets you dress up the sexy hair witch as Link and Samus.  And she'll get new reskinned attacks, like summoning Bowser's foot to stomp enemies.  This is up there with the Dead Rising 3 expansion for strange crossovers, but infinitely more weird because it's a half naked hair witch cosplaying as Nintendo characters.  I'd have thought this was some crazy joke or parody if you just randomly told me about it.  It's gloriously bizarre, and I'm amazed Nintendo signed off on it. 

After the megatons of earlier today (Arkham Knight, Grim Fandango, Mirror's Edge), Nintendo fell a little flat. Mostly stuff we already knew and a few fun new games that are probably not for m

Not saying Nintendo did superbly or anything (although, there were a lot of games there I personally wanted) but Arkham Knight and Mirror's Edge.. are those really megatons? They're two games we already knew about, right?

Also.. Holy shit, Kirby made entirely out of clay.. Sold!

NINTENDO WON E3

LET'S PACK UP AND GO HOME

NINTENDO WON E3

LET'S PACK UP AND GO HOME

I can't wait to get my Samus amiibo figure for all of those Metroid games they announced.

yo, a new rainbow six? how did i miss that

No that's wrong. It was looking ok until the action started.

Spore came out in 2008, and considering what it achieved and the mania for procedural generation that has been building for the last few years I'd be more surprised if we weren't seeing similar achievements in procedural fauna generation.

If they can deliver on the concepts contained in the Spore space mode, but do it well, that's all I need. I was really super into that for about 4 hours before I realized all the shortcomings.

Edit: I kinda want to play Spore again. Too bad that I'll never be able to activate it.

Edit2: Hmm, only six bucks https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/spore/mac-pc-download/base-game/standard-edition?utm_campaign=origin-search-us-pbm-g-spore&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=spore&sourceid=origin-search-us-pbm-g-spore

Are we putting all E3-related posts here? I keep forgetting this thread exists and am posting in individual topic threads.

Someone in chat yesterday said they thought the violence felt ratcheted up this year (I think it was tegan?).  Apparently Chris Plant felt the same and put together a supercut of a bunch of the violence that was shown in the major pressers.  If anything stands out to me, it's that the gory stuff is gorier and more realistic looking than ever (maybe not realistic...but less...animated?  Something).  It doesn't bother me, but clearly it stood out to some others.

Are we putting all E3-related posts here? I keep forgetting this thread exists and am posting in individual topic threads.

I'm just putting stuff here if it feels really topical to being about E3, but if it's more just about the game, I'm posting in the actual game thread. 

Someone in chat yesterday said they thought the violence felt ratcheted up this year (I think it was tegan?).  Apparently Chris Plant felt the same and put together a supercut of a bunch of the violence that was shown in the major pressers.  If anything stands out to me, it's that the gory stuff is gorier and more realistic looking than ever (maybe not realistic...but less...animated?  Something).  It doesn't bother me, but clearly it stood out to some others.

I definitely felt squeamishly uncomfortable watching the Suda 51 trailer, which I never would have imagined I'd be saying.

Visually, not a lot bothers me outside of torture.  But the thing that will make my skin crawl is the audio that accompanies graphic violence, that drives home something unnerving much harder than all the gore in the world. 

The actual violence wouldn't bother me per se, but if it's true that there's more of it than last year it's not a trend I'd be happy for them to continue.

Hey, they totally made efforts to be inclusive. They replaced the flag in Rainbow Six with a woman!

Hey, they totally made efforts to be inclusive. They replaced the flag in Rainbow Six with a woman!

Progress is made in baby steps.  Offensive, poorly thought out, stumbling baby steps...but baby steps nonetheless.  Backwards baby steps.  The kind where kids kinda stumble backwards, then plop on their asses.   

You know, the weirdest thing to me was that in the MS anecdote cutaways, the only female was paired with a dude and she barely got to say anything.  It's the easy way to insert some diversity into a presentation.  Not the good way, but the easy way.

Progress is made in baby steps.  Offensive, poorly thought out, stumbling baby steps...but baby steps nonetheless.  Backwards baby steps.  The kind where kids kinda stumble backwards, then plop on their asses.   

You know, the weirdest thing to me was that in the MS anecdote cutaways, the only female was paired with a dude and she barely got to say anything.  It's the easy way to insert some diversity into a presentation.  Not the good way, but the easy way.

I noticed that, it was so wierd and uncomfortable.

Probably going to get a ton of shit about this, and the opinion of "more severed heads than women" is totally valid, but it's easy to make a deal out of anything when always looking at things through a lens.

There were more white severed heads than there were other races. There were more severed heads than there were severed feet. Not once in Sony's conference was a transgender person up on stage. Why were the two people competing in a fitness game at Ubisoft completely, adequately in shape? 

So many questions, so few answers.

Probably going to get a ton of shit about this, and the opinion of "more severed heads than women" is totally valid, but it's easy to make a deal out of anything when always looking at things through a lens.

There were more white severed heads than there were other races. There were more severed heads than there were severed feet. Not once in Sony's conference was a transgender person up on stage. Why were the two people competing in a fitness game at Ubisoft completely, adequately in shape?

Well the thing is, this is constantly an issue and continuing to highlight it is a way to try and counteract it. I think the only way you could say it's not an issue is if you were to take a look a wide view of various conferences and show that the average was pretty good. But if you were to do that I doubt it would be a promising result. The point isn't really that E3 is bad or that the comparison to severed heads particularly matters, it's just part of the ongoing insistence that the games industry (like many industries really) has more work to do on being truly equal.

Also just cause I'm a bit pedantic and it might illustrate the point further, more severed heads than severed feet just outright makes sense because it's more of a symbolic statement and also no one is concerned with the representation of body parts in media. Feet aren't underemployed and undervalued because they are less valued than the head.

Someone's totally going to prove me wrong on the feet thing, aren't they? With some point about people being overly focused on their head as an important bodypart and that being to the detriment of their overall self.